• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fitterer Press Conference

Jackie Lee

Mentions the "current" starting offensive line around the 19:00 minute mark.

Christensen, Elflein, Bozeman, Corbett, Moton

I found it interesting that Cam Erving wasn't considered "competition" for the LT spot. I suspect he is trade bait for a team that needs a guy closer to preseason.

Edited by Evil Hurney
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

Here is my take: 

Offensive Tackle:  We are better up front (OL) but would like to add 1 more player.  Talked about BC's versatility, so he is saying, "If a LT does not happen, we can go with what we have now."  Mentioned Elf, Bozeman, Moton, and Corbett--and BC's flexibility.  Sd OL has more depth.  I think we could be set on the OL and this did not sound as if we were targeting a T at the moment--smokescreen?

Edge:  Mentioned that Luvu and Haynes flashed and played better with reps.  Sd they need to step up.  I am not sure we are going to draft or sign an edge with the #6 pick.

QB:  We are drafting a QB.  Basically, my take is this--we are going to start with Sam Darnold and feel that the team has been built around him--something that was missing last year.  Sam will have competition.  That competition will be Willis, Pickett, or Corral, in my opinion. 

When asked about drafting a QB:  He said, you do not want to reach, but you have to take swings at the QB position.  Also, he talked about building a team around a QB on a rookie salary.  Compared to Seattle/Russell Wilson.

Good analysis. I have said all along, since the Panthers are not going to the Super Bowl this year they should ride out a year with Sam Darnold and his big contract while a young rookie QB either beats him out  this year or is ready to start in 2023.

The Panthers have been making a lot knee jerk mistakes by trying to short cut the path to become a very good football team, at some point that has to stop and in my opinion that time is now.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, KatsAzz said:

Good analysis. I have said all along, since the Panthers are not going to the Super Bowl this year they should ride out a year with Sam Darnold and his big contract while a young rookie QB either beats him out  this year or is ready to start in 2023.

The Panthers have been making a lot knee jerk mistakes by trying to short cut the path to become a very good football team, at some point that has to stop and in my opinion that time is now.

Or reinforce the line, show the team is ready to go minus Sam, and maybe you're in position next year to draft your guy or at least attract a solid FA vet. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Carolina Panthers general manager Scott Fitterer, less than a month after saying the starting quarterback job was "open,'' on Friday said Sam Darnold was "in the lead for that job.''

"We want him to take it and run with it,'' Fitterer said. "But we're gonna add a lot of competition to that room. The whole emphasis is to stabilize the quarterback position to play winning football.

"That's what we're working towards.''

Didn't listen to the PC but didn't see this in the thread? This is from an ESPN article.

4 hours ago, Evil Hurney said:

Mentions the "current" starting offensive line around the 19:00 minute mark.

Christensen, Elflein, Bozeman, Corbett, Moton

I found it interesting that Cam Erving wasn't considered "competition" for the LT spot. I suspect he is trade bait for a team that needs a guy closer to preseason.

More worrying that they're plugging in Elflein to play LG again. He can't do it - he's simply too small. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

17 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

More worrying that they're plugging in Elflein to play LG again. He can't do it - he's simply too small. 

I think Elf will be the C and Bozeman will play LG--but if we add a T, BC to LG and Bozeman to C.  So I am pulling for the LT addition

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1