• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What is the impetus for the “Keep Pounding” pushaway?

davos

11 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

It's quite simple: Tepper wants to get rid of every single thing that existed before 2018: players, stadium, coaches, team culture, everything. Can't wait for the color and name change. I recall someone saying on here that he was pushing for that a few years ago.

Don't know about the color change. His new soccer team  has almost exactly the same shade of blue jersey. He must like it not to change it. image.png.c9d1364228c13b1300cee96fa027cc8f.png

image.png.c9d1364228c13b1300cee96fa027cc8f.png

17 hours ago, davos said:

Did he do that while on camera or are you telling me they played that clip randomly? Haha

Dude they played that dumb ass clip and tried to get the fans to all join in by getting hype man to do it and panning shots of the crowd doing it but nobody in the crowd was doing it so they had to keep going back to the movie clip and hypeman... The poo was so dumb.  They did it multiple times in multiple games.

I enjoyed having the Keep Pounding chant and I think the only game it was on the screen to get the crowd to do it was the 1st game, I could be wrong but I think it was on maybe once towards the end...

Keep Pounding was a good simple crowd chant that actually had real meaning and heart to it , it was awesome ,the best of both worlds. I was proud that we actually had a chant and that it was our own chant and not the genresic dumbass

"Let's go Panthers."

clap,clap.....clap,clap,clap.

Even though Tepper might be trying to drown it out it's nice seeing us Panthers fans continue to chant it up the concourse before games (and after only once this year..lol) and around the stadium before games.

Edited by Mayor Qumiby
  • Pie 3

21 hours ago, rayzor said:

his ideal was an expansion team. he couldn't have one so he's trying to turn Carolina into one. 

demo the whole thing, level it, and start over from scratch.

which begs the question..... why be a panthers fan if the owner wants to scrap the whole thing, tear it down, and put something else up in his image? it's not the panthers anymore. it's tepper's imaginary brass ball team.

i'm a panthers fan. this isn't the panthers anymore. this isn't a team i recognize. 

Hit the nail on the head. I legitimately feel nothing for this team; it's not the same team I grew up watching.  The Panthers we knew died in 2018 with Cam's shoulder and JR being forced to sell to Tepper.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Because he is focusing on the wrong side of football first, even admitted it. He is not focusing on results but marketing, the numbers, the business.

He is trying to market a product and generate revenue through exposure, not results, while trying to build his own legacy.

I am sure this has worked for simple products but the NFL is a specific expertise. It’s a commodity and one that should suffer without results. Tepper has PSL owners to help him out.

Tep is not home grown/or a fan. Success is a cherry for revenue but it’s just a very small part of things. It truly is a shame the team wasn’t sold to someone with Carolina ties.

• Pie 3

Think y'all are overcomplicating it. Keep Pounding is a great mantra with history but it's a bad crowd chant. Fans don't say chant it during games without the jumbotron prompting it and even then we're not exactly intimidating about it. The drum intro is where it gets to shine and that hasn't gone anywhere but y'all are convinced he's like out to kill it. 

The soccer team owner probably wants our crowds like those, or at least closer to Seattle or Pittsburgh. If Keep Pounding is so important to our culture why have we been complaining the stadium being full of unethusiastic wine & cheese fans all this time. 

14 hours ago, panthers55 said:

Don't know about the color change. His new soccer team  has almost exactly the same shade of blue jersey. He must like it not to change it. image.png.c9d1364228c13b1300cee96fa027cc8f.png

image.png.c9d1364228c13b1300cee96fa027cc8f.png

Cost saving measure since the stadium is already decked out in these colors but I seriously doubt he has any problems with them

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

If Keep Pounding is so important to our culture why have we been complaining the stadium being full of unethusiastic wine & cheese fans all this time. 

I thought Keep Pounding was for the other fans that complained about those people back in the day, the people who stand and cheer when the D is on the field and not when the O is about to snap the ball. 

11 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I thought Keep Pounding was for the other fans that complained about those people back in the day, the people who stand and cheer when the D is on the field and not when the O is about to snap the ball. 

That's cool but we've been losing that battle for decades now, so how good of a chant is it really?

2 hours ago, Mayor Qumiby said:

Dude they played that dumb ass clip and tried to get the fans to all join in by getting hype man to do it and panning shots of the crowd doing it but nobody in the crowd was doing it so they had to keep going back to the movie clip and hypeman... The poo was so dumb.  They did it multiple times in multiple games.

I enjoyed having the Keep Pounding chant and I think the only game it was on the screen to get the crowd to do it was the 1st game, I could be wrong but I think it was on maybe once towards the end...

Keep Pounding was a good simple crowd chant that actually had real meaning and heart to it , it was awesome ,the best of both worlds. I was proud that we actually had a chant and that it was our own chant and not the genresic dumbass

"Let's go Panthers."

clap,clap.....clap,clap,clap.

Even though Tepper might be trying to drown it out it's nice seeing us Panthers fans continue to chant it up the concourse before games (and after only once this year..lol) and around the stadium before games.

Yikes. I went to pretty much every game until I moved post-college circa 2010 and returned for the big ones. So haven’t been since like 2017. Sounds like things have changed pretty drastically. Never saw the endzone renovations either. Unfortunate 

1 hour ago, MechaZain said:

That's cool but we've been losing that battle for decades now, so how good of a chant is it really?

It was great when we were winning or at least had the capacity. Hell we don't even have a whine and cheese crowd anymore, it's just opposing fans come to watch their team beatdown the home team. 

9 hours ago, onmyown said:

It truly is a shame the team wasn’t sold to someone with Carolina ties.

Howard Levine was probably the only local candidate who actually had the cash (family already owned 10.38%) and management horsepower to execute/operate, but he didn't appear to have interest...

Edited by SizzleBuzz

On 4/14/2022 at 12:02 PM, top dawg said:

This is Tepper's team, and he has let everyone know it by his actions. He has no allegiance to Sam Mills' saying. He wants to put his brand on the team.

Keep Pounding is not just a slogan or a chant, it is much more important that that.  It is the DNA of this franchise.  Sam was the heart and soul of this franchise. Keep Pounding means something. It is about the heart of a team and it is about a warrior's battle for life. And it the inspiration for victory.  It is the connection between the fans and the players that is more meaningful and stronger than exists anywhere else in the NFL.  It is blasphemy to trivialize this as a slogan.  A few years ago my brother in law was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.  The prognosis of course was grim.  I purchased a few Keep Pounding wrist bands.  Sent one to my brother in law along with the story about Sam.  It inspired him and he wore that wrist band every day.  I did so as well to support him as did  the family members I shared it with.  He died wearing that wrist band.  Just as Sam he fought a good fight.  

This is about life and perseverance.  It makes it mean something to be a Panther and a Panther fan.  It gives us all something in common with the team.  When that chant goes through the stadium it is truly inspirational.  It belongs only to us.

I am going to write a letter to Tepper.  I think this is important.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3
  • Flames 1

7 hours ago, ladypanther said:

Keep Pounding is not just a slogan or a chant, it is much more important that that.  It is the DNA of this franchise.  Sam was the heart and soul of this franchise. Keep Pounding means something. It is about the heart of a team and it is about a warrior's battle for life. And it the inspiration for victory.  It is the connection between the fans and the players that is more meaningful and stronger than exists anywhere else in the NFL.  It is blasphemy to trivialize this as a slogan.  A few years ago my brother in law was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.  The prognosis of course was grim.  I purchased a few Keep Pounding wrist bands.  Sent one to my brother in law along with the story about Sam.  It inspired him and he wore that wrist band every day.  I did so as well to support him as did  the family members I shared it with.  He died wearing that wrist band.  Just as Sam he fought a good fight.  

This is about life and perseverance.  It makes it mean something to be a Panther and a Panther fan.  It gives us all something in common with the team.  When that chant goes through the stadium it is truly inspirational.  It belongs only to us.

I am going to write a letter to Tepper.  I think this is important.

I am sorry for your loss. Pancreatic cancer is the worst.

As for "Keep Pounding", let's not lose perspective here. You have explained the life, history, meaning or whatever words you want to use behind the term as a Panthers fan from your perspective. I used the term "saying", not "slogan", but even if I did, I don't believe that me or anyone within the context of answering a question on a message board and attempting to be as concise as possible, which is really what language is all about is "trivializing" the meaning behind what Sam Mills' was trying to convey, and to be honest it kinda made me feel some type of way, especially as one whose sister-in-law is now on the tail end of triple negative breast cancer treatment (she's been through the radiation, chemo, surgery, and is now taking pills and being monitored for things like her white blood cell count, etc), whose brother-in-law endured orapharynx cancer (basically throat cancer that derived from the Human Papilloma Virus or [HPV])---but was announced "clean" literally three months before my sister-in-law was diagnosed with hers last year, which was approximately two years after my wife's aunt overcame her battle with breast cancer. All are alive and doing relatively well, but the struggles are real. We are thankful they survived however. We have gotten to wear pink (and burgundy) ribbons at celebrations in their honor. On the other end of the spectrum, we've both had aunts die in their 50s from breast cancer. My wife and I were no strangers to them during either of their struggles. I can't say that we used the term "Keep Pounding" per se because when you're trying to be positive in the face of someone dying a progressive, yet agressive form of cancer or similar disease, at times the situation is surreal, but I can tell you that we communicated similar sentiments via whatever words or sayings that we could muster. I tell you this to say that I know something of the struggle and would never "trivialize" the meaning behind "Keep Pounding", but that when discussing it, the most succinct way to describe it in reference to the English language is by either using the term "slogan" or perhaps a better term "mantra" that is used on the team's website (but even one of the definitions of "mantra" references "slogan"). The "blasphemy", if there is any, is not in using a decidedly appropriate term to succinctly describe "Keep Pounding" to other Panthers fans, the blasphemy would be the fact that Tepper apparently wants to change it at all. Once you let your feelings known, as undoubtedly others will and maybe already have, perhaps he'll reconsider it. But even if he doesn't, I doubt that it or the story behind it will be going away because it's part of the franchise's history.

Don't give up! Keep pounding!

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 1