• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: Panthers have the inside track to trade for Baker Mayfield

TheSpecialJuan

5 minutes ago, joemac said:

No….did you miss the whole “if he puts up 4000 yards and 30 TDs” part? And the answer is hell yes. What more do you want out of a QB than that? 

You're not understanding what I'm saying. That same mentality of protecting ourselves from having to pay big money is what caused us to pick up Darnold's option. Sometimes you're best off to just roll the dice and see where they land to hedge your bets.

• Pie 2

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Pure physical talent, I'd probably put him fourth behind Cam, Darnold, and Kerry Collins in that order.

Obviously, physical talent only gets you so far.

He has a stronger arm than Darnold, maybe not as mobile, but I agree with the other two. He won a lot in college and has won in the NFL. There are definitely worse options like Jimmy G…

7 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

If we do that means he played well again and we got a starting QB. If we don’t then we should get a comp pick.

I'd be careful assuming we get comp picks. Virtually everyone assumed we would get one for Gilmore, but we signed enough other contracts to cancel him out. The same thing could happen the offseason we lose Mayfield.

1 hour ago, trueblade said:

I'd be careful assuming we get comp picks. Virtually everyone assumed we would get one for Gilmore, but we signed enough other contracts to cancel him out. The same thing could happen the offseason we lose Mayfield.

True and fair point. I hope as our roster is getting more complete we won’t be overhauling FAs every offseason. 

• Pie 1

10 hours ago, CmC2k said:

Let's for hypothetical reasons we trade for Baker and he put's up something close to his 2020 numbers (30td and 4,000 passing yards) would you be ok with giving him 30-35m a year on his extension. A healthy Baker isn't a bad QB but if he plays well he would absolutely have this organization by the balls in contract negations. If he puts up good numbers then we are probably too far down in the draft to get Bryce young or Cj stroud.   

He’s not going to do that so dumb question to ask.

27 minutes ago, Cam Lawter said:

I just want a competitive season of football next year. If Darnold is at the helm, I might as well use my Sundays to take my dog hiking or to the park.

The very reason I DON'T want a competitive season this year...Darnold AND Rhule will hopefully be gone in 2023.  I could deal with free Sunday's this fall knowing the following year Panthers football will be worth watching again.