• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Practice Facility Poll.

SizzleBuzz

Project resumes or permanently abandoned?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Rock Hill facility project resume & ultimately be completed?

Honestly the city council thought they could just offer a package to Tepper to get the facility, get the kick backs from the project, and then use the sunk coat fallacy to get the Panthers to finish construction. I know the cool flavor of ice cream is to hate everything billionaire and Tepper but who in their right mind thought Rock Hill, a population of 73k could support a $225 million bond package? 

Blame goes both ways, Panthers should’ve done way more homework on Rock Hill and their actual willingness to pay that amount and Rock Hill council members should take some of the “personal financial responsibility” and resign as well as have their financial records sifted through by an impartial Federal investigator.

This whole thing is ridiculous, they should’ve just built the facility in Charlotte. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2

3 minutes ago, Riverboat Ron said:

Blame goes both ways, Panthers should’ve done way more homework on Rock Hill and their actual willingness to pay that amount and Rock Hill council members should take some of the “personal financial responsibility” and resign as well as have their financial records sifted through by an impartial Federal investigator.

good write up. Sounds like the Panthers did do their homework with this out they have in the deal. The pressure isnt on the panthers anymore, its on RH. They can easily build the facility on the other side of Moorehead, where they acquired the property late last year. 

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, rippadonn said:

Teppers net worth went up so much he doesn't even have to bother with it. 

He can now move on to a better idea if he has one. Nobody can say a damn thing.

He should move camp to Lake Norman.

It will most likely go across the street from the stadium. 

Just now, TheCasillas said:

It will most likely go across the street from the stadium. 

Ultimately that's what I would do but I can see why teams hold camp away from home, less distractions.

I was thinking Tepper could buy a golf course on or near the lake and convert it. Put practice fields out there. Getting the lake breeze in your nose between downs.

From my perspective (Being in Design & Construction, specifically Construction Admin), I doubt this will go elsewhere or would be very surprised.  

Abandoned projects this far along are quite rare, though you never know. They could have their own Fountainbleu situation sitting in Rock Hill. 

But being specifically for infrastructure improvements, I'm unsure as it sounds like this is a separate contract from the base bid for the facility itself and for area improvements tying into the facility/mixed-use development.  Seems like a mess and would not want to be on the design, construction, or client side of this whole ordeal.   

1 hour ago, TheCasillas said:

good write up. Sounds like the Panthers did do their homework with this out they have in the deal. The pressure isnt on the panthers anymore, its on RH. They can easily build the facility on the other side of Moorehead, where they acquired the property late last year. 

I think Tepper was smart enough not to fall further into the trap. I honestly wonder if RH thought the Panthers would just foot the agreed upon $225 million bond money? This reeks of council members stuffing their pockets.

Edited by Riverboat Ron
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

It will cost Rock Hill more to NOT get it done than it would to do their part.  Tepper will sue RH for his loses (already said to have spent like 200million on construction).  If that happens, he gets his loses from the city in a lawsuit and takes his facility somewhere else and sits on the land so they never can collect anything from the property taxes.

York County is likely going to step up and fill in the gap to keep Tepper from suing RH because they still want a piece of the pie and then York County will deal with Rock Hill (IMHO).