• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Say we roll with Darnold

1 hour ago, CRA said:

I still don't think Joe Brady was the problem.  the QB and 3 of our WRs all posted career seasons.  Teddy just wouldn't pull the trigger when needed.  Was Brady green? Sure.  But Joe Brady's track record pre Darnold in the NFL and college was impressive until Sam came to town. 

Then Sam Darnold came and did what he does.  I fail to see how McAdoo is going to alter the impact of what Sam Darnold does.  Sam isn't a MVP/Super Bowl QB.   Which is what McAdoo had success with and they were that before he arrived as OC. 

Joe Brady with no film available of his limited offensive schemes (I.e 2020) and being able to try a lot of new things is a lot different than Joe Brady coordinating with a year plus of film and tendencies available (2021).

He was figured out and he couldn’t adjust against far superior NFL-level defensive coaches. 

• Pie 1

26 minutes ago, Icege said:

I think that Joe got flattened by the proverbial bus.

Rhule didn't put any experienced NFL offensive play-callers on his staff to help guide Joe, nor did he seem to actually understand the type of offense that Joe wanted to run and whether or not it fit with what Rhule's vision of the team overall was.

Joe had some Andy Reid-esque type moments in that he made some very, very bad playcalls in some crucial moments, but his offense never got the opportunity to be displayed behind a competent OL. If that was a selling point, then he definitely failed. If that was just the way the chips fell, then he got the short end of the stick for sure.

McAdoo's offense boasts high percentage throws to playmakers in space (which is what we heard re: Brady's offense). The current selling point is that in his first year as Eli's OC he cut the interceptions nearly in half and almost doubling his TDs. He also coached Eli to his highest career completion percentage at the time. Hopefully he can do even better with Sam, but we'll have to wait and see if he can produce a miracle.

Perfectly said. 

1 minute ago, falconlynx said:

Joe Brady with no film available of his limited offensive schemes (I.e 2020) and being able to try a lot of new things is a lot different than Joe Brady coordinating with a year plus of film and tendencies available (2021).

He was figured out and he couldn’t adjust against far superior NFL-level defensive coaches. 

I don't think he was ready to be an NFL OC yet, but I think people are greatly underestimating the impact of Sam Darnold's mental limitations. Darnold at QB basically meant we ended up having to run essentially a HS version of the offense we were running previously under Teddy. Teddy suffered from a lack of aggressiveness. He didn't push the ball down the field or into the endzone, but the offense pretty much ran as I tended between the 20s and we loved the football. Darnold's physical talents were supposed to make up for what Teddy lacked. Instead, we had to really dumb down the offense because Darnold is a one read, then glance at the checkdown, then panic QB because he's not a QB. He has the physical tools but he doesn't see the field like a QB.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Everyone who keeps talking like fixing the OL will magically turn Sam Darnold into a legit NFL QB just isn't realizing the problem. Sam Darnold isn't a QB. He's a talented thrower of the football but he doesn't see the field like a QB.

Here's what happens far too often when Sam Darnold actually has time.

Pure panic followed by a comical mistake.

This after throwing the game sealing pick into triple coverage against the Eagles. These people still buying in are insane. We used to clown on fans like the Jets but even they accepted reality.

1 hour ago, falconlynx said:

NFL teams could figure out the basics in year 1 though. He wasn’t throwing crazy stuff out there.  The core of it all had been around for a long time.   Teddy was a functional QB though. Just flawed.  And Brady is a passing OC.   He needs functional QB. 

Was Brady good?  Don’t think he had time to develop into good yet.  But I don’t think he was the problem.  Problem was a green passing OC that was given the worst QB in the NFL.   Sam stinks.   So you had a green OC dumbing stuff down for Sam and Sam can’t be depended on for anything.  It was evident in camp IMO they were worried about Sam.  He was not throwing downfield in camp reportedly.  All checkdowns.  He sucked and Matt Rhule and Joe Brady can’t make a bad QB work.  Great coaches struggle with such. 

7 hours ago, Icege said:

I think that Joe got flattened by the proverbial bus.

Rhule didn't put any experienced NFL offensive play-callers on his staff to help guide Joe, nor did he seem to actually understand the type of offense that Joe wanted to run and whether or not it fit with what Rhule's vision of the team overall was.

Joe had some Andy Reid-esque type moments in that he made some very, very bad playcalls in some crucial moments, but his offense never got the opportunity to be displayed behind a competent OL. If that was a selling point, then he definitely failed. If that was just the way the chips fell, then he got the short end of the stick for sure.

McAdoo's offense boasts high percentage throws to playmakers in space (which is what we heard re: Brady's offense). The current selling point is that in his first year as Eli's OC he cut the interceptions nearly in half and almost doubling his TDs. He also coached Eli to his highest career completion percentage at the time. Hopefully he can do even better with Sam, but we'll have to wait and see if he can produce a miracle.

Yeah Joe Brady sucked.  So glad he's gone.  He wasn't THE problem but he was a BIG problem. 

• Pie 1

On 4/22/2022 at 12:53 PM, Sgt Schultz said:

My problem last year was we showed no real progress from the year before, and probably took a step backwards.

That's the shittiest part. We spent a chunk of money, AND MORE IMPORTANTLY, draft capital when we would have looked just as good rolling with Teddy last year.

I know, I know,  you have to keep trying to improve... but that was an expensive mistake!

On 4/22/2022 at 5:30 PM, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't think he was ready to be an NFL OC yet, but I think people are greatly underestimating the impact of Sam Darnold's mental limitations. Darnold at QB basically meant we ended up having to run essentially a HS version of the offense we were running previously under Teddy. Teddy suffered from a lack of aggressiveness. He didn't push the ball down the field or into the endzone, but the offense pretty much ran as I tended between the 20s and we loved the football. Darnold's physical talents were supposed to make up for what Teddy lacked. Instead, we had to really dumb down the offense because Darnold is a one read, then glance at the checkdown, then panic QB because he's not a QB. He has the physical tools but he doesn't see the field like a QB.

I certainly agree it was a combination of things..

1. Joe Brady inexperience and not ready for the role..

2. Sam being a terrible QB..

3. Bad to horrible Oline play..

4. The safety net CMAC being injured..

All made this a horrible offensive situation...

Edited by WOW!!
  • Pie 1

What’s the saying, ‘when people show you who they are believe them…the first time’’

i don’t care if Darnold got a raw deal with the line and coaches.  He didn’t help the situation and made it far worse  

I didn’t care if he is the nicest person and helps old   ladies across the streets 

He is starting his 5th year in the nfl and has been the worst qb in the 4 years preceding  

He was so indecisive and so poor at making reads back there, that  the plays were dumbed down for him on purpose and he still failed.

The  process of reading coverages and the time it takes him to do so, much less correctly, isn’t nfl level. It never will be  

he is going to walk away with $23 million from the Panthers.

I want him to take  his  $23 million, get a surf board and go back to San Clemente 

you can put lipstick on a pig, but it’s still a pig 

in my Panthers fandom, the worst nightmare of my life was hearing he was being brought here  he hasn’t disappointed 

Edited by raleigh-panther
  • Pie 1

8 hours ago, shaqattaq said:

That's the shittiest part. We spent a chunk of money, AND MORE IMPORTANTLY, draft capital when we would have looked just as good rolling with Teddy last year.

I know, I know,  you have to keep trying to improve... but that was an expensive mistake!

Had they acted like adults when Teddy criticized the coaching staff for not getting plays in fast enough, that would have been an option.  Teddy was not going to be the answer, but his contract was set up for him to keep the seat warm for two seasons.  They torpedoed that when they had to publicly fire back at him, because heaven forbid the coaching staff would have any flaws.

And we saw every evidence that Teddy had a point with his specific complaint.  Teddy or the coaching staff having issues was never an either/or situation.  So, we spent a 2nd round pick (I'll accept the loss of the others) and $18.5M because we could not take a breath and not fire back in a way that made keeping Teddy around for another year impossible.

Who knows, had they smiled and nodded, they may have even raised the priority of drafting his replacement last year.  That would have probably been Fields (maybe Jones), and I don't know if he would have been the answer or not.  But the odds of Fields being the answer are greater than the odds of Darnold channeling his inner Elway and being the answer.

Plus, we would be $18.5M and a pretty valuable 2nd round pick better off.  We may still have been looking for a seat-warmer, but without the cap drag of Darnold.

• Flames 1

1 minute ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Had they acted like adults when Teddy criticized the coaching staff for not getting plays in fast enough, that would have been an option.  Teddy was not going to be the answer, but his contract was set up for him to keep the seat warm for two seasons.  They torpedoed that when they had to publicly fire back at him, because heaven forbid the coaching staff would have any flaws.

And we saw every evidence that Teddy had a point with his specific complaint.  Teddy or the coaching staff having issues was never an either/or situation.  So, we spent a 2nd round pick (I'll accept the loss of the others) and $18.5M because we could not take a breath and not fire back in a way that made keeping Teddy around for another year impossible.

Who knows, had they smiled and nodded, they may have even raised the priority of drafting his replacement last year.  That would have probably been Fields (maybe Jones), and I don't know if he would have been the answer or not.  But the odds of Fields being the answer are greater than the odds of Darnold channeling his inner Elway and being the answer.

Plus, we would be $18.5M and a pretty valuable 2nd round pick better off.  We may still have been looking for a seat-warmer, but without the cap drag of Darnold.

We've been paying the price for Matt Rhule's overinflated ego since he and Tepper started a public beef with Cam Newton shortly after he entered the picture. The fallout with Bridgewater and now Darnold is just more of the same.

• Pie 2