• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tepper says 5 year minimum for Rhule.

Zod

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

But what is the common thread there? Rhule picked all those fools.

Hence why he should go. Remember, this man got a windfall if a contract and complete control of personnel. The buck stops with him. All failures are his.

Agree.. But that isn't happening so either you want to see the best out of the situation or give up..

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, jayboogieman said:

I've said it several times before and still believe Rhule gets at least 4 years. Tepper doesn't strike me as the sort that will spend millions for someone to sit at home. Then add his ego, desire to outsmart every other team, and the desire to be right about Rhule.

Exactly, too many rich morons involved. They don't truly care because none of these guys are desperate. Fire Rhule, he won't care because he's already paid. Tepper firing Rhule? That's admitting he made a mistake, and when you're that rich pride is more important than winning. He could make make more if the team was good but he's still making a profit off his investment and doesn't give a poo 

• Beer 3

"I'll take 'How to make people cringe' for a hundred, Alex" 😖

David Tepper's been wrong about a lot of things, but I'd have to rank this idea as one of the biggest.

I absolutely get the idea of long-term thinking, and I support taking the time to build things the right way so that you have a perennial contender rather than just a flash in the pan.

But there are two major issues here...

First off, more than one team has shown that it doesn't necessarily take forever to build a team that stays in contention. It can be done quicker...if you have the right people doing it.

Second, and potentially more problematic, the famous "Steeler patience" with coaches. Yeah, it's worked for them, but do you see them hiring mid-tier college coaches?

Oy 🙄

Right now I'd say most fans view another year, or God forbid another two years, of Matt Rhule being in charge is an absolute nightmare scenario, and it's reasonable to do so.

It has been reported however that there are actually some within the organization (read: probably one) who think Rhule year three will be some miraculous turnaround just like it was in college.

I'm not buying.

Hopefully by year's end David Tepper isn't either, but if that fan nightmare rolls around and despite yet another sh-t season, he decides to give Rhule one more chance, probably going to break a lot of people.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 hours ago, Billy Love said:

2010 was abysmal on the field but there was always hope since it was clear Fox was gone and Carolina was getting the 1st overall pick with some amazing prospects coming. This season is not that scenario. 

2 hours ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

This is why Rhule is still here, Tepper's ego.

Facts. Tepper is the worst thing that could have happened to the Panthers franchise after the Richardson scandal. An arrogant hedge fund manager with no idea how to properly build a successful NFL franchise. Rhule was an incredibly awful hire and he should have been fired after last season. 

Tepper is already not a particularly likable human being in the first place, but add on the fact he’s burning bridges with the fanbase by turning the team into a laughing stock. I don’t think I need to hear his voice ever again even if the team wins the Super Bowl (hahaha yea not in my lifetime)

• Beer 1

14 hours ago, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

It's not what we wanna hear right now, but he can't say Rhule's seat is on fire. Although, his philosophy about 5 years for success is way off. Most every NFL fan knows it usually takes 3 years or doesn't happen at all for a regime. It's such a short window if you don't have a legendary QB

For real, in 5 years you would have had to resign some rising stars, give rookies their 1st big contract, probably lose a franchise great. The roster would have massive turnover during that time. 

• Pie 2

8 hours ago, panthers55 said:

You don't bring in folks with lots of experience and then ignore them.  Especially when you are on the hot seat and these folks are your best hope to keep your job.

Right, because people never think they know better than others regardless of experience. It's not like things have never been invented, new processes developed, or in the NFL's case, new plays created because someone decided they knew better than the more experienced folks that came before.

As for Rhule being on the hot seat, there is zero proof of that. Heck, even before Tepper's press conference the last rumor was Florio in early March. The only ones really talking about Rhule and the hot seat are fans that are wishing it's true.

• Beer 1

5 hours ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

This is why Rhule is still here, Tepper's ego.

The worst leadership typically comes from people who don't know what they're doing, but think they do.

Even with his "I know I'm stupid" comments, that's pretty much been a fitting description of David Tepper for the last few years.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

47 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Right, because people never think they know better than others regardless of experience. It's not like things have never been invented, new processes developed, or in the NFL's case, new plays created because someone decided they knew better than the more experienced folks that came before.

As for Rhule being on the hot seat, there is zero proof of that. Heck, even before Tepper's press conference the last rumor was Florio in early March. The only ones really talking about Rhule and the hot seat are fans that are wishing it's true.

It seems that Rhule is losing control based on poor results. It appears that Teppers analysis was that Rhule's basic processes and message were good but he allowed Rhule to bring in new guys with little NFL experience. So now Rhule's folks are gone replaced by several which have head coaching experience in the NFL.  I actually believe that our offense and special teams will be much improved based on our new coordinators. And the defense should be good again. Seems one of our biggest issues has been lack of adjustments between halfs and when the opponent countered our initial game plan.  Hence the reason we often started strong and faded late. I read Fewell was brought in to help with gameplanning and adjustments as well as the secondary.  And any OC will be better than what we had.  Will it translate to more wins? I hope so. But I am not convinced that Rhule can't learn or that he is so stubborn he can't admit he made mistakes and can learn from guys with more experience.  If he can do that it is very likely that we can improve with essentially the same players in many skill positions and upgrades at key spots like OL, punter, and returner for example. And I would like to see Darnold with a competent OC and a system designed around his strengths.