• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CBS Sports gives Carolina a C- for the Draft

chknwing

8 minutes ago, Tyler Waves said:

Yeah the only issue with this is we only got 6 picks. Bring our average way up compared to the other teams.

Still I think we did great 

It does if 2-3 of those picks pan out. If you have less than that, it just looks more like you have no idea what you are doing.

The final story isn't written on the 2021 draft class by any means. But the early returns were far lower than I expected and that was as someone who was relatively down on the class.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, stbugs said:

This is why everyone gets upset when we don’t get the best grades. Iky is a day 1 starter, that’s it. Corral is a 3rd round QB. I hope like hell he’s our future but he’s certainly not a guaranteed starter. Brandon Smith is a 4th round LB. It’s possible he starts but again not a guarantee. We have 1 starter and 2 hopefuls. The others are backup candidates.

This is why I was so mad about giving up that 3rd round 2023 pick. You need to maximize your 1st-3rd round picks to get starters and quality backups. These are the critical rounds. 

The idea that you can consistently nail 4th round or lower picks is absurd. Even being in the top 5% of success rate for those rounds, it's still very low in the NFL. 

We cannot keep shipping off these 2nd and 3rd round picks and effectively build a roster stocked with cheap talent.

• Pie 1

We got

an elite LT (will need to develop some pass protection skills)

A QB who could be starting at some point late in the 2022 season

A LB (Smith) who could compete for a starting position

An Edge who could work into the rotation at some point.

And if you want to get technical, we got CJ Henderson and Sam Darnold

• Pie 3

9 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I’m fine with the 2023 3rd because we basically swapped 3rds and I do believe that the QBs dropped in part because Baker and Jimmy G. Pick 137 is a long shot so if Corral was our top guy, traded next year’s for this year’s is OK with me.

Trading away our 2, 3 and 4 for yet another bad QB retread and a maybe slot CB is a completely different story. Wasted picks.

Or 3 firsts and Burns/Chinn for Watson and his guaranteed contract. And some want to bitch about a third….

• Pie 2

40 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

This is why I was so mad about giving up that 3rd round 2023 pick. You need to maximize your 1st-3rd round picks to get starters and quality backups. These are the critical rounds. 

The idea that you can consistently nail 4th round or lower picks is absurd. Even being in the top 5% of success rate for those rounds, it's still very low in the NFL. 

We cannot keep shipping off these 2nd and 3rd round picks and effectively build a roster stocked with cheap talent.

If you think there's even a chance a guy could be a franchise QB you take that shot. The importance of finding that guy holds infinitely more value than a freaking mid round draft pick.

• Pie 6

34 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I’m fine with the 2023 3rd because we basically swapped 3rds and I do believe that the QBs dropped in part because Baker and Jimmy G. Pick 137 is a long shot so if Corral was our top guy, traded next year’s for this year’s is OK with me.

Trading away our 2, 3 and 4 for yet another bad QB retread and a maybe slot CB is a completely different story. Wasted picks.

We didn't swap 3rds. We didn't have a third. 

9 minutes ago, The Natural said:

If you think there's even a chance a guy could be a franchise QB you take that shot. The importance of finding that guy holds infinitely more value than a freaking mid round draft pick.

If they thought he was a franchise QB they would have taken him at 6. They know he isn't.

Walterfootball gave the Panthers an A

To quote a former NFL running back, the Panthers "ate their cake and ate it, too." Carolina had to decide on whether it wanted to select a quarterback or a left tackle at No. 6 overall. As it turns out, the front office was able to acquire both. 

Based on what happened, the Panthers made the right choice by selecting Ikem Ekwonu. All the quarterbacks, aside from Kenny Pickett, plummeted in the 2022 NFL Draft. I'm sure the Panthers didn't expect to land Matt Corral toward the end of the third round, but they were able to do so by trading next year's third for the Ole Miss product. Corral has some personality question marks, but his talent level was worthy of at least a second-round pick. He'll be able to compete with Sam Darnold right away for the starting job, and if he wins it, he'll have some nice protection from Ekwonu. 

Carolina had four picks on Day 3, and all scored B+ or better. The two best selections were Amare Barno and Kalon Barnes, two defenders who should have been chosen earlier in the draft. Brandon Smith and Cade Mays were good picks as well. 

I love what the Panthers did overall. They had a dilemma, and they found a way to choose both solutions by being patient. In the end, they came away with an excellent haul. 

Edited by Sean Payton's Vicodin