• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

West coast offense on the East coast

Jmac

Question for all the Football geeks out there. The west coast offense requires a quick release and quick decision making. Darnold has neither quality. Assuming he is the starter, they will play a more conventional offense.

If he shats the bed midway through the season and they put Corral in, how long will it take to switch to a west coast/hybrid offense? Do we have the personal on the offense to play that game? Will thay have to redo the playbook to accommodate the system?

Edited by Jmac
  • Pie 1

Yeah, I think it's a little preposterous to think that McAdoo isn't going to install at least some variation of his offense from the start, the training wheels will be pulled off in relatively short order. As a seasoned vet, Darnold is going to be expected to learn it, execute it, and ultimately master it by September. He better because Corral will be gunning for the job from the very beginning.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

Yeah, I think it's a little preposterous to think that McAdoo isn't going to install at least some variation of his offense from the start, the training wheels will be pulled off in relatively short order. As a seasoned vet, Darnold is going to be expected to learn it, execute it, and ultimately master it by September. He better because Corral will be gunning for the job from the very beginning.

Talent wise Darnold and Corral are probably pretty close.  What separates them is Corral is a better processor and has a quicker trigger.  

• Beer 2

3 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

McAdoo will, IMO, install his offense and expect Darnold to execute it.

This. There won't be two playbooks, just the one that they all have to learn. There won't be any switching midstream of schekse, that would set everyone back too far. 

Either Sammy can do it or not. If not, put in the guy that can. It's that simple.

• Pie 4

8 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Talent wise Darnold and Corral are probably pretty close.  What separates them is Corral is a better processor and has a quicker trigger.  

Not sure if you can really make that assumption.  Corral really wasn’t asked to process in college, large part of the reason he fell in the draft.  That doesn’t mean he can’t, just means he hasn’t. 

• Pie 2

13 minutes ago, Rubi said:

Corral to me seems like he’s a back up at the nfl level. 

Lol based off what? Or that’s just a feeling you have? Based off Chris Simms qb evaluation over the last four years he’s been very accurate with his assessments. It SEEMS like Corral has the tools to be a excellent starter will our coaching staff actually coach him up  to his potential is my question.

• Pie 3

12 hours ago, Jmac said:

Question for all the Football geeks out there. The west coast offense requires a quick release and quick decision making. Darnold has neither quality. Assuming he is the starter, they will play a more conventional offense.

If he shats the bed midway through the season and they put Corral in, how long will it take to switch to a west coast/hybrid offense? Do we have the personal on the offense to play that game? Will thay have to redo the playbook to accommodate the system?

I thought Darnold has a quick release and the ability to make those quick reads. Brady's offense required time, time we didn't have with the offensive line and CMC hurt.

7 hours ago, CPcavedweller said:

I thought Darnold has a quick release and the ability to make those quick reads. Brady's offense required time, time we didn't have with the offensive line and CMC hurt.

If Darnold was really able to make quick reads and get the ball out on time, our line wouldn't matter.  There were options available to him.  He didn't get there.

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, Rubi said:

Corral to me seems like he’s a back up at the nfl level. 

I am sorry but i have to disagree with that assessment.

Given a little development time i feel Matt Corral has the ability and skill set to be a very good starting QB in the NFL and i am glad we were able to draft him where we did.
Who is Matt Corral? Meet Ole Miss star QB leading Lane Kiffin's offensive  juggernaut | Sporting News

Edited by KatsAzz
  • Pie 3