• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

From Matt Corral's Mom: GoFundMe for her niece that passed (Matt's cousin)

33 minutes ago, CRA said:

No he didn’t.  He is a 3rd round pick.  3rd round rookie deals are like 800k ish a year and I don’t think contain guaranteed money….and you get that money weekly during the actual season.   Then factor in taxes on that.   He ain’t taking all that actually home.   He ain’t rolling in dough yet. 

there are huddlers with more cash on hand than Corral right now.   People can do what they want with their money.  3 small kids lost their mom.   Kids are super expensive.  

Can’t go around and dismissing the idea that no one needs help because they got an okay 2nd cousin somewhere out there.  

Yeah, unless you are a first round draft pick(and really more so the top 15), you aren't coming into the NFL with the kind of cash that will make you comfortable for life. You need to invest wisely, budget effectively and not just blow through this money on your rookie deal. It's an amount that if managed properly can set you up for success later in life if football doesn't work out. 

It isn't going to be until you get a 2nd or 3rd or 4th contract that you can set yourself up to where you don't have to worry about being able to retire comfortably. 

The overwhelming bulk of NFL players will not attain life changing wealth. 

• Pie 4

29 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Matt's also mentioned on IG posts about paying off family debt once drafted. Anyone assuming the family asking for a modest $10k for 3 children to have some stability while figuring out which parent or sibling can afford to take them in is some kind of cash grab, pretty low

Paying off his family's debt??

4 minutes ago, top dawg said:

It's expensive to live, particularly in Cali, and even more so when you're trying to provide avenues for your kid to get to the NFL. But, who knows...

Yeah, I mean........I can understand the sentiment. I hope he makes wise financial decisions and is still able to help them out.

• Pie 1

55 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Matt's also mentioned on IG posts about paying off family debt once drafted. Anyone assuming the family asking for a modest $10k for 3 children to have some stability while figuring out which parent or sibling can afford to take them in is some kind of cash grab, pretty low

I think the "modest $10k" is actually a telling sign as to what this gofundme is actually about.

To me, that says they're not asking for money to help raise the kids, but that they just don't have the immediate cash on hand to pay for the funeral/burial costs.  In times like this, I don't care if they're related to an NFL player or Bill Gates (well okay, maybe someone with Bill Gates money wouldn't need it, but you get the point), asking for a little help so they can focus on being with their family at this time as opposed to needing to figure out how to pay for the funeral, i.e. selling stuff to raise the money or cutting other costs, is perfectly acceptable.

To be honest, the thing I'm more surprised about, is that it's still sitting at such a low number and still below their goal.  I know it's "just his cousin" but I'd like to think one of his new teammates (or boss) who is sitting on boatloads of liquid cash would have jumped in there and gotten them to the goal quickly.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

8 minutes ago, jb2288 said:

Assuming a family is “well off” when you don’t know anything about it? Yes that is what we call an assumption 

Like I said in my original post, I don't know what their financial situation is so I wasn't talking about them. I'm talking about other folks in my experience who were well off but still create these fundraisers. This was in response to the post I was quoting. Even then, being curious means to gather more information, hence, why I put "seemingly" in quotation marks as things may not be what they seem. 

Regardless, condolences to the family. I can't imagine what they are experiencing at the moment. 

Edited by Manna

3 hours ago, WUnderhill said:

Sad, but Corral just became a millionaire, do they really need a gofundme right now trying to get donations from people scraping by with all this inflation?

I'm feeling it too. My first thought was to go to that GoFundMe my next thought was "gas".

It's really hard to do the good you want to when they're trying to drain every extra penny out of ur pocket intentionally.