• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Help me, I'm feeling optimistic.

Zod

9 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

TBH, and I hope I am wrong, but I don't see much in Matt Corral. Would obviously rather see him than Darnold but that isn't much of a bar.

Baker is a far more talented and capable player and even he has been a disappointment in his NFL career.

I am not excited but at least there is something interesting to watch unfold. Waiting on the Darnold 2022 season was like having a colonoscopy appointment that you had to be awake for.

Still feels the same to me still. IDK what Corral has but I do the others and a colonscopy sounds easier to get through.

"Excited" or "optimistic" would be overstating my expectations for this season substantially, but I'd put myself in the "intrigued" category. I can't say I'm expecting success but I can at least envision a potential path to success now. If we had an coach that I thought was NFL caliber I'd be legit excited. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

22 hours ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

Definitely think we're gonna have a repeat of last season (early start, right down to the QB getting revenge against his last team game one) until the real playoff contenders (Cowboys last year, 49ers this year) let the Panthers know whats up.

If I've learned anything from the huddle, the more convinced of the way a season will be, the more it'll not be like that at all. 

22 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I've got a feeling we're going to watch an improved offense only to see the defense go backwards.

technically, the defense has little room to improve from #2 overall to #1.  A slight decline wouldn't be unexpected.

Not what we want, but it's hard to hold onto #2 for long.

I just looked at the schedule, and I can see why people are maxing us out at seven wins (Baker or no Baker). The only hope that I see us getting to .500 is if Corral surprises (but he probably won't even get a chance), the defensive interior surprises, and/or TMJ surprises. That's it. Other than that, I just don't know. If we don't win two out of the first three games, we probably won't even win seven games. Now there's always the chance that we drop a couple and get good, but that's about as likely as Butterbean walking on quicksand.

Just now, top dawg said:

I just looked at the schedule, and I can see why people are maxing us out at seven wins (Baker or no Baker). The only hope that I see us getting to .500 is if Corral surprises (but he probably won't even get a chance), the defensive interior surprises, and/or TMJ surprises. That's it. Other than that, I just don't know. If we don't win two out of the first three games, we probably won't even win seven games. Now there's always the chance that we drop a couple and get good, but that's about as likely as Butterbean walking on quicksand.

We don't know what a Payton-less  aints will look like.  We don't know what the 9ers will look like with rookie Trey Lance (reports aren't that great) or  Atlanta without Ryan. 

I see 7 winnable games, 2 weakened division opponents, a pass heavy west coast OC, new OL and a QB with a mean deep ball.

In any case it is going to be better football to watch than last year. 

58 minutes ago, poundaway said:

We don't know what a Payton-less  aints will look like.  We don't know what the 9ers will look like with rookie Trey Lance (reports aren't that great) or  Atlanta without Ryan. 

I see 7 winnable games, 2 weakened division opponents, a pass heavy west coast OC, new OL and a QB with a mean deep ball.

In any case it is going to be better football to watch than last year. 

Payton is a good coach, but by all accounts, Dennis Allen is well-versed in Payton's offense. What this means is anyone's guess. I'd figure that we'll split with at least one or both. As for Lance and reports not being that great, that's not indicative of recent reports, nor is it from anyone of import or anyone that is even necessarily related to the 49ers in an official capacity. In other words, you're not paying attention to what has preceded OTAs and minicamp, much less the reports post minicamp.  Lance has been making strides. He's still raw. He has things to work on, but his OC, HC, current teammates and old 49ers are singing his praises and acknowledging his development and continued need to hone certain skills to meet his potential. They ALL think he'll get there. So don't count on that W.

3 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Payton is a good coach, but by all accounts, Dennis Allen is well-versed in Payton's offense. What this means is anyone's guess. I'd figure that we'll split with at least one or both. 

Pete Carmichael has been the Saints OC since 2009.

Probably more important how well he knows the offense than Dennis Allen.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

That #2 ranking is bogus.

You keep saying that, but that doesn't make it true. The total yards may not be as indicative of a great defense as other stats, but it's not indicative of a defense that's irreparably lost either. It means that there is some talent to work with that needs to be honed to reach its potential. Whether Snow can do it is another question. The stat isn't "bogus" though. It happened. Like I've told you before, the difference between us being top five and bottom five is likely in our ability to get off the field on third downs. That was the biggest failing of our defense last season as far as I'm concerned. Change that, and I see a top 10 defense all day long. Surely YGM, our new green LBs, and our other "third round pick" this year will have to play a part in getting us off the field, but there is a scenario where our #2 ranked total-yards-defense of 2021 can improve to be legit In 2022.

Edited by top dawg