• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The other top tackles...

Mr. Scot

You draft a LT that high, he is your starter. That's just how it goes. He takes his lumps and learns on the job. 

Literally almost every top 15 drafted left tackle in the last decade has started at....TACKLE. 

So if we don't do that, it isn't because Rhule has figured something out other coaches haven't. It's that he hasn't figured out what everyone else already knew.

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Pie 2
  • Flames 3

I mean, I understand all that… but what if he still needs to learn, just being a top 10 player doesn’t mean you’re destined for the HoF. Maybe, just maybe, he still has growing to do in the position at this level. LT and QB are the most important positions right? QBs get drafted in the top 10 all the time and sit. 🤷🏾‍♂️ I don’t think it’s as big of a deal as everyone is making it out to be as long as we get the 5 best OL on the field at the same time. 

• Pie 3

19 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I've seen it referenced, but even setting that aside if you really want him to be starting left tackle as a rookie, he shouldn't be in a "competition".

I'll ask the same question I did above: say Christensen wins the starting job? Do you try Ekwonu somewhere else or just bench him?

Depends on how bad the left guard play is at the time.  It's not unheard of to play a top drafted LT somewhere else on the line his first season. We did it with Gross his first season. Granted I think we took him at 11? I think.  But still it's a high pick that you expect to start at least. Ideally at one of the tackle spots but we already have one filled, and surprisingly maybe a decent place holder until the kid catches up. I'm not too concerned right now. If he has to play LG early it would be good for him to get on the field and getting valuable experience.  I think he takes over that spot eventually as he gets experience and Christensen goes to the bench as a backup.  Possibly before the season is over.

• Pie 5

27 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Exhibit-a

We have many more options than last year.  We brought in 2 solid oline free agents, a top 10 draft pick on oline and from most reports our 3rd rounder last year has improved.  We definitely arent nearly as desperate as we were last year.  To say we are is just to blindly hate Rhule. 

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Tr3ach said:

We have many more options than last year.  We brought in 2 solid oline free agents, a top 10 draft pick on oline and from most reports our 3rd rounder last year has improved.  We definitely arent nearly as desperate as we were last year.  To say we are is just to blindly hate Rhule. 

Exhibit-b

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 4

4 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

“Your honor may I present exhibit B”

• Beer 2
  • Poo 2

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Splitting them with Christensen...

We acknowledge that he's a rookie who has a lot to learn, yet we ask him to learn two positions and have him splitting reps with someone else at the spot where we believe he's designated.

What part of this sounds like a wise plan?

Def of insanity. We did the same thing with BC last year. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

40 minutes ago, Steelo Senpai said:

I mean, I understand all that… but what if he still needs to learn, just being a top 10 player doesn’t mean you’re destined for the HoF. Maybe, just maybe, he still has growing to do in the position at this level. LT and QB are the most important positions right? QBs get drafted in the top 10 all the time and sit. 🤷🏾‍♂️ I don’t think it’s as big of a deal as everyone is making it out to be as long as we get the 5 best OL on the field at the same time. 

You learn by playing. That is literally the job of a professional football player and ESPECIALLY first round picks.

There is no excuse for being as dense as Rhule is being. The fact is that he has no fuging idea what he is doing when it comes to poo like this. He cannot get his head out of a HS/college mentality.

• Pie 3

Just now, kungfoodude said:

You learn by playing. That is literally the job of a professional football player and ESPECIALLY first round picks.

There is no excuse for being as dense as Rhule is being. The fact is that he has no fuging idea what he is doing when it comes to poo like this. He cannot get his head out of a HS/college mentality.

Yeah I don’t get this “earn it” mentality.  These dudes are pros you are not going to motivate them like some college freshman 

• Pie 1