• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rivera fires Sam Mills III

Mr. Scot

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Coach of the Year tends to go to guys who outperform expectations, but outside of the times when it's been awarded to Bill Belichick it rarely goes to a coach who wins a championship.

As to Rivera, both he and John Fox produced decent seasons, but neither produced consistency.

The truly great coaches don't just flash once in a while. They win on a regular basis.

Well also the truly great coaches catch lightning in a bottle with all pieces. Look at Jimmy Johnson in Dallas. Their trades, drafts, everything was a smooth assembly line. Then look at Jimmy in Miami. Panther coaches have always had to deal with suspect GMs. Imagine if Gettleman would've listened to coaching staff as Proehl wanted them to draft Diggs and Adams. Imagine if Hurney would've got something out of the later rounds consistently. Rivera and Fox would've looked like better coaches. I believe Rivera got a lot out of the roster especially in the years he won the award. And the thing about coaches is do they look dominant at times. At times Rivera looked dominant. Now we don't even look competent. I am reserved to see what comes with these changes in putting guys that are more qualified to be the HC on the staff. 

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, NorthTryon said:

I see that, but also the man's QB got hurt. We were 6-2 until Cam got hurt second to last year, then the next year they won five games in a row with Kyle Allen. I feel like Tepper wanted his guy so bad he just quickly ushered in the next era of suck. 

Cam getting hurt definitely didn’t help, but Ron’s nepotism was big in his undoing imo.  Constantly hiring friends and promoting from within when it was clear they weren’t ready.  I still have nightmares of Eric Washington’s defenses and Richard Rodgers’ squads constantly flopping

• Beer 1

I mean come on to anyone trying to use coach of the year as a defense to Ron Rivera. That is laugh out loud funny. Ron Rivera is in elite company with the likes of Ray Rhodes, Dom Capers, Jim Fassel, Jim Haslett, Dick Jauron, Lovie Smith, Mike Smith, Marvin Lewis, Jason Garrett, Matt Nagy, and Kevin Stefanski truly the elite of the elite in the football world.

the truth is Ron Rivera was as incompetent as could be. He botched the primes of both cam and Luke. He has always been a fraud. His fact act was almost as bad as his coaching. He was gifted 2 superstars and carried by them both on offense and defense. He never turned down an opportunity to throw cam under the bus to protect his own ass. He turned his back on cam when he needed an opportunity after cam carried Ron for a decade.

nothing made me happier then when row boat Ron took the Washington job. It exposed his fake good guy act going to work for Dan Snyder. They also had no qb so it has exposed how much cam and Luke actually covered for him. I loved when he brought the 2 Marty idiots in showing he just wants yes men surrounding him.

i am truly going to enjoy the unraveling of his coaching career in Washington. And it will always amaze me how any panthers fan could watch both Row boat and fox and come away with the conclusion that rivera was the better coach. Fox would coach circles around him.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, NJPanthers12 said:

I mean come on to anyone trying to use coach of the year as a defense to Ron Rivera. That is laugh out loud funny. Ron Rivera is in elite company with the likes of Ray Rhodes, Dom Capers, Jim Fassel, Jim Haslett, Dick Jauron, Lovie Smith, Mike Smith, Marvin Lewis, Jason Garrett, Matt Nagy, and Kevin Stefanski truly the elite of the elite in the football world.

Yeah, they made the playoffs his first year in Washington. Also five of those coaches you act like are nobodies are ten times what we have now in a truly laughable HC like Rhule. It is convenient to leave off models of consistency in past award winners like McVay, Belichick, Reid, and Arians. But I digress, hopefully our shiny new toy of a HC will win more than five games this year.   

• Pie 1

16 minutes ago, NorthTryon said:

Yeah, they made the playoffs his first year in Washington. Also five of those coaches you act like are nobodies are ten times what we have now in a truly laughable HC like Rhule. It is convenient to leave off models of consistency in past award winners like McVay, Belichick, Reid, and Arians. But I digress, hopefully our shiny new toy of a HC will win more than five games this year.   

Matt Rhule is an awful coach. Never mentioned him once in my argument against rivera being competent. But yes whatever can help you prop up that fool. 

none of the coaches I mentioned would I be happy with even if they were to replace Rhule. Also never said Rhule was better than any of those coaches, but again go off.

let me try to explain my point differently for you. Yes, I left off the likes of belichick and Reid, because my point was you don’t need to be a competent coach to win coach of the year. It’s not like rivera is on a list of all time greats and I’m claiming he’s the outlier. There are many mediocre to awful coaches on that list. Ron Rivera is closer to Ray Rhodes than he is Andy Reid and I don’t even think that’s debatable.

Give me a break rivera made the playoffs his first year in Washington. They went 7-9 and would’ve missed the playoffs if Philly didn’t pull their starters in the 2nd half where Washington still barely hung on to win. If your point is rivera being fired was the wrong move because look at how big of a dunce our shiny new toy is, then that’s how we stay mediocre forever. That was the exact thinking of the past ownership group which led to Marty Hurney torturing us for 2 decades.

ron rivera sucks. Matt Rhule sucks. Both can be true. Rivera should have been fired and Rhule should have been fired. This is it for Rhule. They have a bad season, he’s gone. If he isn’t, then we have much bigger problems than Matt Rhule.

1 hour ago, NorthTryon said:

Well also the truly great coaches catch lightning in a bottle with all pieces. Look at Jimmy Johnson in Dallas. Their trades, drafts, everything was a smooth assembly line. Then look at Jimmy in Miami. Panther coaches have always had to deal with suspect GMs. Imagine if Gettleman would've listened to coaching staff as Proehl wanted them to draft Diggs and Adams. Imagine if Hurney would've got something out of the later rounds consistently. Rivera and Fox would've looked like better coaches. I believe Rivera got a lot out of the roster especially in the years he won the award. And the thing about coaches is do they look dominant at times. At times Rivera looked dominant. Now we don't even look competent. I am reserved to see what comes with these changes in putting guys that are more qualified to be the HC on the staff. 

Johnson is one of the examples for why I want to see consistency

He won in Dallas at a time when there was no salary cap and you could basically just outspend for all the best talent. On top of that, he was the beneficiary of another team's GM makiing the dumbest move of his career.

Take away the advantages Cowboys Johnson had and you get Dolphins Johnson.

(don't anybody tell Lady Cowboy Fan I said that or I'll be in big trouble) 😳

And yes, guys can look dominant within a narrow window. That's the thing about one of Rivera's coaching awards. It came after a season where Mike Shula looked like a great OC. But truly great coaches adapt, and when someone figured out how to beat Shula's scheme, he didn't have an answer. Yet Rivera still kept him in place.

Personnel evaluation, whether it was on the field or on the sideline, was never Rivera's strong suit.

Edited by Mr. Scot

Riv was a nice enough guy...he hooked me when we hired him and he said: 'It is what it is ain't no more'... Come to find out he hasn't grown football wise since he quit being a LB with CHI.... archaic old school pound the football was his mantra. Nothing proactive or creative in his philosophy ... He ruined Cam, CMC and Luke who were the crux of his coach of the year honors. He never stood up to the league for the unfair beating that our franchise QB was taking game in and game out that no other QB in the league was taking.... this last thing with Mills III shows what a total classless dumbazz he really was... 

Rhule should hire him. *If the reason for firing him was in the legal sense. 

I was wrong about the DL coach retiring, shocking to see his energy and he had the loudest voice among coaches. SamIII as an asst DL could add input at the least, maybe even help bring Payne over......... if he still has a solid relationship. 

Weird deal though. 

5 hours ago, NorthTryon said:

I see that, but also the man's QB got hurt. We were 6-2 until Cam got hurt second to last year, then the next year they won five games in a row with Kyle Allen. I feel like Tepper wanted his guy so bad he just quickly ushered in the next era of suck. 

That 6-2 was built on a pillar of sand, requiring a Dallas meltdown, record field goal vs NY, and complete Eagles choke job to get there. That team was an extremely lucky 6-2 and the rest of the season thereafter was a more accurate representation, though a few breaks went against Carolina in those losses as well. 

• Beer 2
  • Poo 1

16 hours ago, KSpan said:

That 6-2 was built on a pillar of sand, requiring a Dallas meltdown, record field goal vs NY, and complete Eagles choke job to get there. That team was an extremely lucky 6-2 and the rest of the season thereafter was a more accurate representation, though a few breaks went against Carolina in those losses as well. 

All good teams have miracle wins... I think it's pretty clear Cams injury is what did in that season personally.

Rivera was a much better coach than Rhule but I don't know that he had enough to build a Superbowl caliber team that wasn't completely on the back of a superstar. 

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

All good teams have miracle wins... I think it's pretty clear Cams injury is what did in that season personally.

Rivera was a much better coach than Rhule but I don't know that he had enough to build a Superbowl caliber team that wasn't completely on the back of a superstar. 

I agree but what coach has built a super bowl caliber team without a superstar?

• Pie 1