• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Official Panthers at Commies GameDay Thread

Zod

2 minutes ago, Castavar said:

I forgot where I read this, but some analytical nerd did a study that showed that teams should draft a QB EVERY YEAR until one shows promise. He also went on to say if a QB doesn't show some sort of promise in his first year, dispose of him quickly and try again (which is what the Cardinals did with Rosen and Murray).

People put too much faith in the idea of ‘developing’ a QB.

The QB has to start from a certain baseline to have any hope of turning into a starter let alone an elite player (which is what we all want).

The examples of coaching a turd into a HOF’er is extremely rare.

Draft a QB every year until a guy shows he has ‘it’. No need to spend 2-3 years ‘developing’ a guy.

• Pie 1

Just now, Captroop said:

I don't think a bad performance today is in any way telling or unexpected. But I have to admit, the "Young Lion" posters have been so obnoxious the last few weeks, I was actually rooting for and enjoying the hell out of his shitshow performance. He'll get better and I think he could be a quality player in time. But he damn sure ain't ready now, and no amount of preseason reps would have made him the guy this year. He needs time on the bench to learn the speed of the game. And we need to focus on the QB who can lead us this year.

I generally ignore stuff like that anyway.  I guess that is why I feel a little more objective about his performance.  

The odds are he will not be a great NFL qb.  He might be, but even with first round picks, the odds are they turn out to be less successful than expected. 

As a sidenote, it is ironic to think that the NFC South might have the highest number of top five draft pick qb's in the NFL, and the only one that is considered to be a really good qb is that 6th round pick in Tampa.  

Just now, bobcat91 said:

Corral may develop into a good QB but the lunacy of him challenging for a starting job is over. Let him sit behind a couple of guys and learn. Also the thought of trading Darnold this year should go away as well. He is our backup. 

I think the group that thought he would challenge for the starting job is pretty small.  Personally, I just wanted to see if he showed any flashes in preseason action.  Any indication on if he could be the guy beyond Baker and Sam.  Not looking good after game 1.

• Beer 1

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

IF he isnt even good enough for 3rd string reps then wtf are we doing giving up draft capital for him when the entire qb crop was dropping like rocks in the draft? 

Like i have said before,  when howell was there in the 5th for us we should have loaded the qb room with cheap rookie prospects and let them fight it out. 

He is 4th string merely because Rhule won’t part with Sam or PJ today.  

it’s not that he isn’t good enough for 3rd string reps.  We have pointless bodies ahead of him.  89 and all sorts of folks have commented on his clear talent and how it stands out….and that he only needs reps/time.  Development.

Matt Rhule continues to struggle with simple things when looking at QB.   He should cut PJ today and name Baker the stater and actually rep people correctly.  It’s like the OL.  Rhule makes simple hard. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

yep thats been posted on here before, its sheer analytics, sure there are exceptions to the rule but for the most part draft, play them, if they can play they can play.  If not its obvious.  The numbers back this up

Exactly. For an organization that supposedly focuses on "analytics", we sure as hell don't follow the data.

1 minute ago, Jared Patterson said:

So we drafting a QB top 10 this year???? Was hoping we wouldn't have to with Corral, but we know what Baker and Sam are already and will likely be picking top 7 again.

I think if we have our usual bout with injuries and with rhule coaching we def are eyeballing a top 10 pick

3 minutes ago, Jared Patterson said:

Because you aren't smart enough think that far and cant answer my questions.... Why did a "top 10" QB have zero teams interested in him, hold the most talented roster back and have to have his own team pay to get rid of him?

I'm not going to address you again because you can't comprehend what is being said.  THE ACTUAL STATS BACK WHAT I AM SAYING NOT YOUR OVERLY EMOTIONAL OPINION.  Got it?  Good.  It's clear to anyone smarter than a rock that the narrative formed by the Browns about Baker was nonsense.  Now move along.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Not a savior at all, think there’s two sides of the idiocy… the individuals that think he’s our savior and those that think he’s a bust.

Realists understand that he’s coming from a very simplified offense where he wasn’t asked to process difficult concepts. We also see that he has tools such as athleticism and arm talent.

No matter what, the wise decision is to revisit the convo next year.

This is the best post on the subject today.... The Huddles herd mentality is par for the course.... It's why I didn't post in this forum much the past few seasons few can balance their emotions and he realistic.

• Pie 1