• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

First impressions of McAdoo

Mr. Scot

I haven’t watched it all yet but one thing I noticed that I hate about this offense(they’ve done this for years before McAdoo) is they’re still running the play clock all the way down to 1 second before snapping the ball. It really allows defenders to time the snap and I hope they can mix in some no huddle once the offense is 100% installed to keep the pass rush from getting that easy jump on the snap. 

Edited by RJK
  • Poo 1

1 hour ago, CRA said:

It’s all vanilla.  I don’t think you can judge anything.  NFL is all about team specific adjustments and game planning for each opponent. 

it’s not like people had their pitchforks out when TMJ was tearing up preseason ball with  the prior guy. 

Definitely very vanilla but successful when the starters were in.... Riverboat Ron aggressively blitzing In the pre season... oh the memories too bad for the skinmanders in the regular season he only knows how to play cover 3.... or when he had Eric Washington as DC calling a 2 man rush on 3rd and 2... lol

52 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Thought McAdoo was real solid and I’m also really impressed with Joe Dailey’s group… all his guys looked solid… Higgins, Smith, Zylstra, then throw in Kirkwood and Wright.

One bright spot for me was the fact that receivers did a solid job on balls that they had a legitimate chance on. I hated to see Kirkwood get a tough hit. 

Just now, Stuart Smith said:

One bright spot for me was the fact that receivers did a solid job on balls that they had a legitimate chance on. I hated to see Kirkwood get a tough hit. 

Definitely feel for Kirkwood, second consecutive offseason where he’s had his bell rung. I’m hopeful that we can store him and Wright on the PS.

Moore, Anderson, Higgins, Marshall, Smith, Zylstra, and Saunders make for a really deep group. If we don’t keep those seven then I hope they at least IR Saunders so they can hold on to him.

• Pie 1

Vanilla or not there were some takeaways for me. Thought we mixed up plays pretty well.  We didn't look totally predictable.  I thought getting in and out of the huddle was generally good.  The scheme allows QBs to audible and move folks around. We had some good misdirection plays that had guys wide open.  Everyone QB moved the ball which suggests good scheme success versus individual QB talent.

2 hours ago, RJK said:

I haven’t watched it all yet but one thing I noticed that I hate about this offense(they’ve done this for years before McAdoo) is they’re still running the play clock all the way down to 1 second before snapping the ball. It really allows defenders to time the snap and I hope they can mix in some no huddle once the offense is 100% installed to keep the pass rush from getting that easy jump on the snap. 

A lot of that is the QB’s actually adjusting to the defense.

Mayfield has this to say following the game about the McAdoo and the offense:

“Night and day different, that's for sure. A lot more comfortable now. [Offensive coordinator] Coach [Ben] McAdoo is going to give us the keys to change things on the field, and his saying is, if he can't trust us, he can't trust himself.”

“Not really like anything I've been in before. It's a great offense, it allows us to make checks at the line and just have answers for whatever the defense is throwing at us. It's a lot to learn at first, but once you get it down and you start to master it, you can get the offense in a great position to have success. That's the benefit of having a complicated offense like this.”

• Pie 4