• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Practice Squad QB

Mr. Scot

2 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

Who would you suggest? Don’t think anyone is worth it that’s out there. Keep in mind PJ has an entire offseason in the offense and took the most preseason reps, so at least he has knowledge of the scheme. I think PJ sucks but I don’t think it’s prudent to bring someone in off the street at this stage to be the #2 QB. Honestly I hope he gets cut once Darnold is ready to play and we just keep Eason on the PS. 

I haven't really looked at the available QB's out there, but there just HAS to be somebody better than PJ out there, the guy is not good

17 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Don't hate it, but was hoping we'd somehow sign a better backup and throw PJ on the practice squad.

I like having PJ on the practice squad given his scrambling ability as he can help us prepare against the more mobile QB's, but the guy has proven that he isn't much more than that, he's not a viable NFL QB unfortunately.

Rhule's fascination with his former players is not a successful strategy in the NFL, that needs to be stopped.

Rhule's fascination with former players is ridiculous. If those guys were that special they wouldn't have signed to played ball at a struggling Temple or Baylor. I am sure he's a big joke amongst other coaches in the league

Blake Bortles, Sean Mannion, Cooper Rush, Nathan Peterman, AJ McCarron are all guys I'd probably rather roll with as our backup right now over PJ, and that's saying something, as none of those guys are any good either.

In reality, I'd like them to IR Darnold, cut PJ, keep Eason on the PS, and just sign Cam as a gadget player who also would be our backup QB if Baker gets hurt.

Line up with Baker in the shotgun with Cam and CMC on each side of him, feel like we could run a lot of great plays out of that set, toss it to Cam with multiple eligible receivers running routes on that side of the field and make the defense either stay back to defend the pass or attack Cam expecting him to run.

Edited by tukafan21

34 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

I'd still rather have PJ on the practice squad right now while signing a better backup.

Then if/when Darnold comes back, cut said backup

Or if I personally had my choice, just IR Darnold and let that terrible experiment be over, he's of no value to us anymore.

I get that, but that's not in the team's plans.

I like this pick up.

I have always had this theory that there are late round/undrafted QBs that would be decent in the NFL if just given the chance. Problem is teams are scared to give them a shot because of how important the qb position is and how much they usually have invested in their starting qb, whether it’s investing a high draft pick or lots of money.