• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Colin Thompson on Rhule

CashNewton22

4 minutes ago, matt rhules gut fat said:

Rhule has given his boy a hookup he otherwise wouldn’t have. Dude wouldn’t even be in the NFL at this point. Of course he’s gonna talk about how great Rhule is and enjoy his free ride.

Not all players get that or feel that way on this team. There was quite a bit of eye rolling going on with Rhules various college antics and group exercise punishments. 

I didn’t hear about eye rolling. That true?

25 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

I've been saying for 2 years now that Rhule isn't a bad coach. His issue has primarily been his terrible personnel decisions. This offseason was much better; hopefully a sign that Fitterer/Morgan have more direct control. Or at least that Rhule listens to them more than he did his first couple years.

What makes you say he isn't a bad coach, if only at the NFL level? I've seen nothing indicating he is, be it player development, strategy (both in-game and planning), personnel, player management... just nothing redeeming at this level.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, CashNewton22 said:

I know positive talk about Coach Rhule is frowned upon and so many need a scapegoat so they take all their anger out on him but his players and coaches really do seem to like playing for/coaching for him. I’m on record as to giving Coach Rhule the benefit of the doubt this year. I know I’m moreso in the minority in regards to fans but it’s good to see that the locker room is tight. 

It's been clear from the start that the players like Rhule and have bought into what he says (especially this year) no matter what the conspiracy theorists say to get the spin that they want.  If someone says Rhule sucks then they agree wholeheartedly, if a player or someone says Rhule is good then they are just saying it because they have to.  Its ridiculous.   Just because you feel some way doesnt mean you're right.  You're seeing ghosts as one has said.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2

42 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

It's Twitter. He didn't have to respond at all. You think he'd be cut or something if he ignored that tweet? I agree he wasnt going to be negative about Rhule at all, but still the idea that he has to stand up for his meal ticket is really kinda lame.

No, you cant think like that.  They only mean what they say if its negative and the huddle agrees with it.  Anything else is just because of ulterior motives.   We must be negative!

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, KSpan said:

The guy that has never stuck anywhere else in the NFL and was only active on Rhule's roster 4 years into an NFL career, and who came from Rhule's Temple after they were the only ones to offer him a scholarship as he transferred away from Florida, has nice things to say? Who could've guessed.

Look, people can be nice and intelligent but that doesn't mean they're good at actually implementing said information. The past 2 years have spoken louder than words, as this year will as well. 

This.  Dude basically threw Thompson a football lifeline TWICE, in college and then as a pro.  I'm not saying what he's saying isn't true, but do you think you're going to get a super objective and fair assessment of Rhule from Thompson considering their history together?  Sure, there is some truth to what he's saying, and I'm absolutely sure Rhule had positive qualities that the players believe in and like about him.  But, it's the results on the field that matters.  If he can coach every position, he might want to get to it then, because they have underperformed every year with him as the HC.  And honestly, everything we've heard from the outside has indicated he is more of a gameday manager than a hands-on "coach 'em up" at practice kind of coach.

And just to contrast, I'm pretty sure if you ask someone like Kenny Robinson about his experience with Rhule, the answer would be a lot different.  I think there are guys that like him, even ones that didn't play for him in college, but there also guys that are just cool with playing a game for a living regardless the outcomes or the staff around them...  and those guys are the reason we have never had back to back winning seasons, because it's a culture that isn't based on winning but rather image.  And to me, things haven't been any different with Rhule in that sense.  Who would you like working for more?  Someone who is nice and mostly loyal that you can get over on, or someone that is going to push you and take no nonsense where your job security may be threatened if you don't meet their expectations?  Most would want to work for the former.  The issue is, Rhule and every coach that preceded him became the former, and he appears to be that guy as well, which is why we are still mediocre...  So ultimately, I don't want to hear "he cares about his players" and all that BS.  I want that to be a given.  I want our coach to care about winning and be good at it, and good at finding the people to help him do it - not putting friends and followers in his backpack to take them along for a ride they don't deserve.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

I didn’t hear about eye rolling. That true?

58 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

It's been clear from the start that the players like Rhule and have bought into what he says (especially this year) no matter what the conspiracy theorists say to get the spin that they want.  If someone says Rhule sucks then they agree wholeheartedly, if a player or someone says Rhule is good then they are just saying it because they have to.  Its ridiculous.   Just because you feel some way doesnt mean you're right.  You're seeing ghosts as one has said.

I found this fascinating, particularly the part bolded (my own emphasis). An article from this past January, and while the Post has a reputation this is hardly the only report of such behaviors:

"Many of the reported complaints, voiced anonymously, stem from Rhule taking the same approach that helped him in college to the pros. In one anecdote, Rhule was upset when a player signed an autograph before a game. One Athletic source said he micromanages “everything that touches football” and has built his staff and roster using plenty of Temple and Baylor connections, programs he guided to prominence.

There are nine players from Temple and Baylor on the Panthers’ roster, including former Jet Robby Anderson and outside linebacker Haason Reddick.

One agent who reps multiple Panthers players told The Athletic that the team is “less meritocratic” than any team he has dealt with."

https://nypost.com/2022/01/01/matt-rhules-panthers-contract-has-them-facing-clusterf-k/

Such an environment would absolutely elicit plenty of eye-rolls.

Edited by KSpan
  • Beer 1

5 hours ago, KSpan said:

The guy that has never stuck anywhere else in the NFL and was only active on Rhule's roster 4 years into an NFL career, and who came from Rhule's Temple after they were the only ones to offer him a scholarship as he transferred away from Florida, has nice things to say? Who could've guessed.

Look, people can be nice and intelligent but that doesn't mean they're good at actually implementing said information. The past 2 years have spoken louder than words, as this year will as well. 

Truth bomb