• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Pic tells it all. Better fix that o line issue

raleigh-panther

2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

He did. It was one of those, welp, I know how this season is going to go moments. Blitzer comes from his right two seconds after he moves CMC to his left, seems a Panther thing to do.

I can’t shake this awful feeling that it’s going to be a real long time before we are good again. The roster is nowhere near as talented as some think, we are likely onto a new staff again, we still likely don’t have our long term QB, our 2023 cap space is around -$16M including our rollover (assuming we don’t spend anymore) and we’ve traded away our 3rd, 6th and 7th round picks already. Damn, depressing when you type it all out.

Similar feelings...

The one thing I would say about the cap is from what I've read, this is the way most teams are doing it now. Basically, spend to the limit and adjust on the fly. Each season is "all in".

I'm not at all a fan of that approach but apparently that's the way things are going 😕

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Similar feelings...

The one thing I would say about the cap is from what I've read, this is the way most teams are doing it now. Basically, spend to the limit and adjust on the fly. Each season is "all in".

I'm not at all a fan of that approach but apparently that's the way things are going 😕

Coaches seem to only have 2 years or so (aside from Rhule) to show something. That could explain why they are going all in on the cap each year. 

• Flames 1

8 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I don’t really think that’s the case, but I also don’t think the cap is a myth. It can be manipulated by good competing teams who just need to bring in a couple pieces. When you are us and you are constantly getting wasting money on sub par talent, you can’t just manipulate it and fill all the roster issues we have. Saints always get brought up because they push Bree’s’ money out every year but their big money deals are on their stars who contribute, not on Teddy and Sam and Short and Erving/Elflein/Paradis/Okung. The fact that we are $20M OVER the cap in 2023 (probably higher as I’m sure we add people) after 3 consecutive 5 win seasons is truly mind boggling.

I think Gantt mentioned it when he was talking about Fitterer's approach being commonplace for today. It goes together with the "quarterback on a rookie contract" approach that's so popular these days

Doubt I could find the article but I've heard it said by others as well.

Our line vs one of the better ones in the league wasn't going to work out head to head. We needed to scheme around it with reverses, draws, and screens to take away the effectiveness of Garrett and Clowney. We didn't though. Our struggles were not about talent but coaching and preparedness. 

Looking at the picture, we were frighteningly close to seeing PJ Walker under center until Darnold returns.  Think about that sobering thought, on two levels, for a bit.

Essentially, we did the same with Garrett that we did with Von Miller in the Super Bowl, although we did eventually provide some help on Garrett.  How do we go into these games, look at the individual matchups, not recognize where some help will probably be needed, and develop a plan for it?

Never mind, silly question.

• Beer 1

Why didn't the Panthers run a screen at all to slow the pass rush down.  I recall maybe seeing one screen pass.  Garrett looked incredible and I'm not sure any LT would have stopped him.  He reminded me of vintage Von Miller when he was unstoppable.  

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Given that we ran the ball maybe four times the entire first half, I am not surprised they knew we wouldn't run.

The ironic thing is, that when we did run, we actually had some success.  Not a lot, but enough to maybe try to run it a little more.  

You have a rookie LT who is strongest in run blocking and a work in progress protecting the passer going up against one of the league's premier pass rushers.

Our game plan reminded me of back in the Shula days when it seemed like oftentimes he'd do the insanely idiotic thinking that he'd catch the opposition napping by trying to do the insanely idiotic. 😂

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Snake said:

Our line vs one of the better ones in the league wasn't going to work out head to head. We needed to scheme around it with reverses, draws, and screens to take away the effectiveness of Garrett and Clowney. We didn't though. Our struggles were not about talent but coaching and preparedness. 

That's because our QB was going to "fug them up"

43 minutes ago, jtm said:

Why didn't the Panthers run a screen at all to slow the pass rush down.  I recall maybe seeing one screen pass.  Garrett looked incredible and I'm not sure any LT would have stopped him.  He reminded me of vintage Von Miller when he was unstoppable.  

Or even misdirection or a delay or or or 

I hoped for a lot more from mcadoo 

silly me