• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would you be pleased if we hired Byron Leftwich??

micnificent28

16 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

My biggest issue with Byron Leftwich is the same one I have with Ken Dorsey and Kellen Moore.

They're all very intelligent and skilled, but I think they need more experience before they're ready to take on a head coaching job.

I know everybody is looking for the next Sean McVay, but I feel like if you go that route you're probably more likely to find the next Joe Brady 😕

Well the way this team looked without Brady I can't say he was the problem. We look about the same. So it's the conundrum blame the chef for not making a 5 star meal with gas station ingredients?

2 hours ago, micnificent28 said:

Well the way this team looked without Brady I can't say he was the problem. We look about the same. So it's the conundrum blame the chef for not making a 5 star meal with gas station ingredients?

Brady wasn't ready to be an OC. He's on a much better path now.

Rhule isn't qualified to be an NFL head coach either.

• Flames 1

I'd be good with taking the shot on Byron because even if he doesn't work out as a HC, I think he'd put us on the right track for a franchise QB.

It's impossible to figure out if he's really ready for a HC job or if he'll be successful as he obviously has benefited by having Brady and working under Arians.  I think those things though will make him successful in identifying and developing a new QB.

So even if he doesn't work out as a HC, whether it's strategy, defensive approach, play calling, etc, I think he'd do enough positive work with the QB situation that if he had to fire him after a couple of years for other reasons, the franchise would still be in a better place.

And that's all if he's unsuccessful, there is a very solid chance that he's going to end up as a really good HC as well, so all in all, to me it's more than worth the chance on him.

Although if I'm being honest, I'd rather us steal an up and coming OC from someone like McVay.  I don't even know who their OC is right now, but his coaching tree is already looking really impressive and that's the style of coach I want us to have with how the NFL is playing these days, you need an innovative offensive mind.

Edited by tukafan21
  • Beer 1

15 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

I'd be good with taking the shot on Byron because even if he doesn't work out as a HC, I think he'd put us on the right track for a franchise QB.

It's impossible to figure out if he's really ready for a HC job or if he'll be successful as he obviously has benefited by having Brady and working under Arians.  I think those things though will make him successful in identifying and developing a new QB.

So even if he doesn't work out as a HC, whether it's strategy, defensive approach, play calling, etc, I think he'd do enough positive work with the QB situation that if he had to fire him after a couple of years for other reasons, the franchise would still be in a better place.

And that's all if he's unsuccessful, there is a very solid chance that he's going to end up as a really good HC as well, so all in all, to me it's more than worth the chance on him.

Although if I'm being honest, I'd rather us steal an up and coming OC from someone like McVay.  I don't even know who their OC is right now, but his coaching tree is already looking really impressive and that's the style of coach I want us to have with how the NFL is playing these days, you need an innovative offensive mind.

I'm curious why you would say this seeing as his track record is go with Arians "coach the GOAT".

7 minutes ago, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

I'm curious why you would say this seeing as his track record is go with Arians "coach the GOAT".

He's a former QB who has long been considered a good QB coach and even in his first year in Tampa, Jameis had his best year of his career (sure, a ton of INTs, but that's Jameis' decision making, he still had career numbers besides that).

My question with him is whether he has the rest of the HC skills needed as he's still very young in his coaching career, even these super young guys who are getting HC jobs now have much more coaching experience as they usually start coaching at 22ish where as Byron didn't start until his mid to late 30s.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

He's a former QB who has long been considered a good QB coach and even in his first year in Tampa, Jameis had his best year of his career (sure, a ton of INTs, but that's Jameis' decision making, he still had career numbers besides that).

My question with him is whether he has the rest of the HC skills needed as he's still very young in his coaching career, even these super young guys who are getting HC jobs now have much more coaching experience as they usually start coaching at 22ish where as Byron didn't start until his mid to late 30s.

Now that is grasping for straws.. When you throw it 40 times per game (6.5 more than NFL average even THIS season) you should put up yardage and TD numbers.... A ton? He threw the most Ints in a season in 34 years.....

He has one season calling plays with the GOAT playing QB.... He could turn into a decent HC but throwing a guy I'm there with little experience after the Rhulesaster is the last thing I want to see.

3 hours ago, Shocker said:

Obviously Tepper throwing huge money at Sean Payton and bringing him in would be nice, but probably a long shot.

I like Brian Flores to be honest.  I think he is a great coach and love his no nonsense demeanor.  

This is kind of my fear with Tepper...

What he should do is allow for a thorough head coaching search run by professionals.

What I'm afraid he will do is hire the first hot name from the media that he cen bring aboard.