• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rhule defenders chime in here

Zod

1 minute ago, Actionman0z said:

I have been luke warm in my support for Rhule because I think it does take time. But we are not a good football team. So when he says we are vastly better than last year, and the game film shows the exact same things we have seen for 3 years. Not a good look. But, as John Fox would say, it is what it is. 

Aspects of the roster are definitely way better. The assistant coaches are way better. Nothing is demonstrating we are a better team, though. Unlike last year, it doesn't seem like it's taking teams a quarter of the season to figure us out.

I'll come to the table on this challenge @Zod its kind of the same reasoning as I had with Fox and RR. 

I will still maintain that both Fox and RR where very good coaches. But I also agree that sometimes change is good for everyone. 

Regarding Rhule. I like that he is the CEO type coach. I think a lot of coaches become HC's because they are expect play callers but its hard to do that when you are the HC, you have SO many more duties. So I like that Rhule is a CEO type. 

Now is he running a successful team? No, but I don't necessarily think that's entirely his fault. He was hired under a 7 year contract. His mission from the start was to build this team right and everyone including Tepper said 'Rome is not built in a day' so I think Rhule has been trying to build a team that once all the pieces are in place you drop a rookie QB in and go. On paper that is the BEST way to build a team as it takes advantage of their rookie salary. 

I think that is exactly how the team has been trying to build. Thats why we passed on a bunch of QB's in previous drafts. Get the team ready then bring in a QB. BUT.. you also need to not tank.. so we have (smartly IMO) taken shots on high upside players (Bridgewater, Darnold, Baker) if those guys would hit, then we are YEARS a head in the process. They have not... and in this team building theory, thats not the end of the world cause we are still following the master plan. 

So I think Rhule is building the team exactly the way he was hired to do it. But its hard watching this team on sundays. 

Before Rhule arrived I described something called QB limbo in about 5 different threads. This is when you draft or bring in QBs who are not franchise level in talent to start. The reason you don't want to do that is because it's not about the overall talent on the team, it's the about the QB. If you have a lower tier QB, then you're not winning the SB. Period. Not in modern times. Also, you end up winning too many games to get the top QB in the draft. Many countered me by saying that drafting the top prospect didn't matter, and that we could draft a QB lower in the draft and sill land a franchise QB. Let's see how that panned out.

The most important event is when the Panthers didn't lose enough games to draft Justin Herbert in the 2020 NFL draft. QB limbo continued with Teddy Bridgewater, the QB Matt Rhule wanted. Rhule FAILED with Teddy and promptly threw him under bus and sent him packing. QB limbo continued with Sam Darnold, another QB Rhule wanted. Rhule failed with Darnold. Now we have the limbo QBs of Baker and Corral. They are both QB limbo level and are not the answer. Rhule will fail with both of them as well if he is allowed to coach in the final year of his contract. All of those QBs were a big waste of time, money, and draft capital. BOA is full of opposing fans, and Panthers fans don't care anymore. That is what I had been warning against all along. QB limbo has worked it's magic. We're ruined, and we could have had Justin Herbert and prosperity.

Now what? All Panthers fans had better hope and pray that we lose as many games as possible this season, and that we dump Rhule. Going close to 0-17 will create a GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY to end QB limbo, and start fresh with the TOP QB PROSPECT in the 2023 draft. The problem facing us now is that Baker is good enough for us to win about 5 games or so with the rest of the season. Not good, but if the ball bounces against us (see moron Hubbard fumbling) then we can lose enough games to end QB limbo, the thing I have been warning about all along. 

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

That's pretty standard for that crowd. They always whine about negativity but they always disappear when things get rocky. Funny how most of the people they claim are overly negative are usually here for the wins and the losses.

Guess we see who the fairweather fans really are.

I’m one of the posters who get irritated with the negativity and yesterday I drowned my sorrows in beer and Wrightsville Beach shenanigans so the last thing on my mind was Carolinahuddle but I can man up and say I was wrong about believing in rhule this year. I thought with a revamped staff and what seemed to be like he’s getting it press conferences he had turned things around but he’s just the same Ol college coach Matt Rhule. I wish him and Snow great success at Nebraska/Arizona State/wherever but it’s clear that he’s not cut out for the NFL. I was wrong.

• Pie 3

4 minutes ago, CashNewton22 said:

I’m one of the posters who get irritated with the negativity and yesterday I drowned my sorrows in beer and Wrightsville Beach shenanigans so the last thing on my mind was Carolinahuddle but I can man up and say I was wrong about believing in rhule this year. I thought with a revamped staff and what seemed to be like he’s getting it press conferences he had turned things around but he’s just the same Ol college coach Matt Rhule. I wish him and Snow great success at Nebraska/Arizona State/wherever but it’s clear that he’s not cut out for the NFL. I was wrong.

That's the thing, he has long been known as a charismatic speaker so it's easy to sometimes buy into those types when things aren't falling apart.

But the amount of red flags that began mounting over time became progressively harder to ignore. 

I commend you for being able to stay positive as long as you did and also for finally seeing the light on who he really is.

I just hope for all our sakes this fuging owner sees it.

• Beer 3

1 hour ago, poundaway said:

I'm still not going to cheer for us to lose, or do victory laps when we do.

I've seen this claim but where are the Panthers fans actively cheering for us to be a bad team? 99% of fans are fed up with us being bad and want to be a relevant franchise again. These fans doing victory laps are a figment of your imagination.

• Beer 1

I still defend Rhule. 

I haven't posted anything in his defense as I am more of a lurker, and because it seems the rest of the world has given up on him / hate him.

When he was brought on I remember hearing he turns programs around in 3 years.  I was fine with that.  We are in year 3.  For me, he has this year to show it. 

What gives me hope:

I think there is a LOT of talent on the team.  I believe we are much better now than 2 years ago.  Our defense is young and fast.  Our Oline seems to be 

I love our Defense.  I think our Oline is better as well...not really sure.  I had hope from training camp notes.  Week 1 the Browns killed us but talk about talent...rough first week matchup for our Oline.

QB - I do like Baker...I think he is way better than Sam.  I am annoyed at his passes being batted down..and the snap fumble stuff but I mean he hasn't been here that long to really gel with Oline / WR.

Unfair criticism - so a few posts on this thread people are asking for what is unfair to blame Rhule on.  I'll take a shot at it:

1.  Talent.   Does he draft our players or is that Fitt?  Someone else mentioned this as well.  From what I have read he seems to have be a strong decision maker.  Lets say 10 people here wanted us to draft a QB.  We get Horn and pass on Fields...those 10 people are going to stay angry unless Horn is crazy good.  I trust Rhule knows more about football then I do.  Is he / did he make mistakes?  Sure - his name is Rhule not Jesus.  Look at Ian Thomas.  How many Huddlers wanted (want) him gone?  Super mad he got a contract?  Thomas has been awesome these last 2 games.....for as much as we use TE anyway.

2.  Play calling.  Is he calling the punt on their 33 yard line?  Is he going for it on 4th down?  Is he stepping on the field during play?  Is he saving time outs?  Over using CMC?  Under using CMC?  Honestly I don't know if these are his calls, audibles, OC calls.  Some clearly are his fault.  We all "loved us some OC Brady"...until we didn't.  Wilkes, Snow....we all love them until we dont.  Our 2nd half play calling has been GREAT - something I haven't seen in YEARS.  Can it be better?  Yes - but also hindsight is 20/20.  These last 2 games have been CLOSE.  Ugly too.  First two possessions are turn overs?  UGH.  That is NOT Rhule's fault.  Chubba and Robbie messed up.

3.  Staff.  Is he bringing in the wrong people?  It 'seems' like we have really good people in right positions....what they don't have is the time to work together and see things done.  Honestly, I'd give Rhule ANOTHER year because of all the changes.  Let Baker and our OC's have a full year together and see what we can do next year.

Other points:

Fire him fire him fire him...who are you going to replace him with?  Another circulation of a coach that got fired from somewhere else?  

Tank....I know there are Huddlers whom are total fans of tanking for picks....I've always thought that was ridiculous.  First - because I can't see a FAN ever wanting my team to lose and second because history shows us the really great people seem to be drafted late.

This is my opinion....course I also wanted Rivera to stay and was quiet during all the fire him posts.  Flame away....

• Poo 1