• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are we at the lowest point in panthers history?

Panthers Fan 69

1 hour ago, SCMunnerlyn1 said:

The Clausen games felt completely hopeless just from a talent stand point. 

These games are just frustrating because there is talent on both sides of the ball. 

for me the clausen season was miserable to start, but i had a lot of hope because you just knew that 1) fox was going to be gone the next year (contract had run out and he wasn't getting another one) and 2) we were going to be getting a shot at an incredible QB.

even that last year with rivera....you just had a sense that rivera wasn't going to be around much longer. new owner had laid down pretty well known expectations and it was only a matter of time before he got his guy in here.

this year.... i don't know. i've got this nagging thought in the back of my mind that 1) tepper is going to stick with rhule and 2) this is as good as it's going to get at QB.

basically it's this nagging feeling that we are stuck and tepper is hoping that somehow rhule is going to pull it together. tepper was very vocal before, but with the failures of rhule, he's gone into a shell. i can't say i blame him, but why not just admit that rhule may not have been the best hire and move on and learn from the mistakes he made with rhule...don't go after the trendy name and don't give an unknown commodity a 7 year mega$ deal, no matter what they try to sell you on. 

• Beer 4

I mean, the Tepper era is the worst window of success in franchise history to date. 

Inside of that, the Rhule era is the worst coaching era in franchise history to date. 

So yeah, it's hard to say this isn't the lowest point in franchise history even if there is a season with less wins.   

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

I do wonder if we win this week how many people will think we are turning a corner with Rhule? 
It is amazing how quickly people forget after a win how often with Rhule that usually doesn’t mean we are going to magically become good under him. Usually we just start another losing streak. 
Celebrate a win all you want. Doesn’t mean we are a good team and doesn’t mean we don’t still need to eject Rhule into the nearest unemployment line. 

• Beer 2

7 minutes ago, rayzor said:

for me the clausen season was miserable to start, but i had a lot of hope because you just knew that 1) fox was going to be gone the next year (contract had run out and he wasn't getting another one) and 2) we were going to be getting a shot at an incredible QB.

even that last year with rivera....you just had a sense that rivera wasn't going to be around much longer. new owner had laid down pretty well known expectations and it was only a matter of time before he got his guy in here.

this year.... i don't know. i've got this nagging thought in the back of my mind that 1) tepper is going to stick with rhule and 2) this is as good as it's going to get at QB.

basically it's this nagging feeling that we are stuck and tepper is hoping that somehow rhule is going to pull it together. tepper was very vocal before, but with the failures of rhule, he's gone into a shell. i can't say i blame him, but why not just admit that rhule may not have been the best hire and move on and learn from the mistakes he made with rhule...don't go after the trendy name and don't give an unknown commodity a 7 year mega$ deal, no matter what they try to sell you on. 

Also it is not like he is the only first time owner to botch his first coaching hiring. In fact most flop hard on their first hire.

Also I get your feelings but it is probably coming from the hopelessness we all feel right now.  

Edited by TLGPanthersFan
  • Pie 1

Fox's last season was the worst talent/overall quality, this is the worst experience and coaching hands down.  And it's just more depressing for some reason given we're actually trying to win.  Fox was a lame duck and that was in effect an intentionally lost season.   

I'm also not going to pretend I can clearly remember pre-00'ish but my recollection of 2001 wasn't as bad as 2010 for some reason.  

So yes, this is a low considering this is supposed to be their 3 year and a progressively better team.  Putrid.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Because he knows if he doesn't have the right guy in place TownePlace Rhile it's gonna look worse. He knows he has to get rid of Rhule but it's a question of how soon and what's the plan on who is next man. He is probably getting his feelers as we speak

1 hour ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

… Or is this the most unified the fan base has ever been? I know 2001 was bad and 2010 was pretty bad but these last three years I feel like we’re at the bottom of the ocean with no hope.  ESP after an 0-2 start. 

Not quite yet but headed straight there. I will be playing the Saints D in fantasy this weekend. 

5 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Honestly, I’d feel better if we just had one really bad year like those years and got our Cam. This 5 wins a year crap, missing out on Herbert by 1 loss, missing out on conning SF out of 3 1sts by 1 loss and just not having a chance at the true top QBs, really drains your spirit as a fan. I feel like we are getting into the same area code as the Lions, Jets and Browns long periods of futility. 

We're already at 4 crappy seasons in a row after this one.  And even if the right coach is in place, we're probably due for another one next year.  That's half a decade of poo football to sit through.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, rippadonn said:

Everybody has had it but David Tepper. We're all bagging on Rhule deservedly so but Tepper is the one prolonging the agony. Prolonging the embarrassment, continuing the nose dive in the name of what? Ego?

Your f'n responsibility is this football team! Get that soccer sh*t in proper perspective. THAT stadium wasn't built on soccer money. Get your head out your ass!

Check out this article I remember reading during the 2017 season.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/steelers-owners-reportedly-lobbying-art-rooney-to-fire-mike-tomlin-after-playoff-debacle/

Sunday afternoon was not the highest point of Mike Tomlin's coaching career. Losing 45-42 to the Jaguars in an AFC divisional round game is bad enough just on the surface, but digging deeper it's not hard to find multiple instances of the Steelers being outcoached by the Jags and unprepared for certain scenarios. And now some Steelers minority owners are reportedly getting in Art Rooney's ear about firing Tomlin over the game.

Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk reported Tuesday that he's hearing "some of the team's limited partners intend to lobby owner Art Rooney to fire of Tomlin and to hire a new coach."

Florio lists "Rob Citrone, Paul Evanson, Larry Paul, Stephen Paul, Bruce Rauner, Paul Sams, John Stallworth, Benjamin Statler, Scott Swank, David Tepper, Thomas Tull, Peter Varischetti, and Mike Wilkins" as names involved. 

------

Tomlin isn't a perfect coach.

1) He does have some head-scratching losses on his resume (His Steeler teams seems to play down to the level of their competition at times).

2) He seems to have difficulties at times with clock management in crucial moments.

But he's  has taken the Steelers to 2 Superbowls (1-1 record), several playoff appearances, and has never had a losing record since replacing Bill Cowher.

Tepper and fellow minority owners wanted to fire Tomlin after a playoff loss! 

As a full owner he seems hesitant to get rid of Rule who can't even get to a .500 record (10-25), or past 5 wins a season for that matter. The team has lost 9 games in a row and shows no signs of improving or  competing for a playoff spot in the near future.

🙄

For me personally will always be the look of Jake Delhomme sitting on the bench alone just after the Panthers lost the SB watching the Patriots celebrate.......perhaps wondering he may never come this close ever again and what could have been. 

That whole year was a what if...and if that could........ and it did happen......all the way until then....

I still think of a few minutes before that image Jake alone on the bench of being the Panthers greatest moments taking the reigns and putting it on the NE in the 4th quarter to take the lead....

.......and his sitting there alone in contrast as the lowest......

I just can't image Buffalo fans having that feeling 4 consecutive years in a row......

I guess there are many low moments especially now but here is nothing like having a goal in a lifetime of effort slip out of your grasp when you could smell it right there on the sidelines...............

When the Panthers returned to the SB against the Broncos I didn't get the same impact of the low in that loss.......the team came in blasting through the playoffs but it became obvious as the SB game went on there would be no late game heroics......almost as if you had the whole game to prepare for the loss without having victory in your grasp with a few mins to go.........

I grew up in my 20s watching the Steelers win 4 Super Bowls in 6 years during the 70s, I guess as a fan I had many lifetimes of celebration in one decade alone and have learned to appreciate that as I near my 70s in age.........

I will say here in Panther land it seems you are getting a taste of the Jets, Lions and Browns fans have had for a long time.....

We had it in Pgh........for 30 years the Steelers were the joke of the NFL until a Penn State running back caught a deflected pass in their first ever playoff game in Dec 1972 that seemed to change everything in the years to come......

You still have time here in the Carolinas to witness such things........but many things will have to change for that to happen and I would hope it could in time for some of you to experience that.

• Pie 3