• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Turnovers are a huge problem

bigdog10

I’m not talking about Baker throwing a bad pick against Cleveland or Chubba putting it on the ground on the kickoff yesterday. While those suck, they are not what is plaguing this team the most. 

Part of the reason some were encouraged after Rhule year one is that the defense generated 22 turnovers with far less talent than they have now  

This defense has generated 16 turnovers over their last 19 games. That is second only to Jacksonville during that stretch. The inability to take the ball away is absolutely crippling to many offensive metrics that we have been hyper focused on since we called for Brady’s head (and got it) and now that we’re questioning MacAdoo (i.e number of plays per game, time of possession, yardage, ppg). 

Our offense, who is not completely without blame, is being asked to produce on far fewer plays with far fewer time of possession than any other offense is (averaging 22 mins per game, Seattle is second worst at 24 mins). Even a great offense would look mediocre with the amount of Time that this offense is being given. 

This problem is squarely on the shoulders of Snow. His defensive game plans are in the mold of bend don’t break. It’s past time to start taking some chances. Bringing pressure and letting our secondary (which should be a strength) hold their own on their own islands. If we get burnt for a big td, get the offense back out there and try and score.  Not bringing constant pressure on Daniel Jones is mind boggling. He was allowed to be way too comfortable in the pocket. Doing the same thing to Jameis this week is a sure fire way to get beat. Get after him and speed his decision making up and let that secondary take some chances. 

I have zero confidence that this will change but Rhule isn’t so far off in his “we’re close” comment. We win those first two games if we win the turnover battle. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

Good point.  But you can see it in-game.  I noticed immediately against the Giants, which I'd why I sensed Chubba and Robbie's fumbles were going to happen during the play before they actually happened, that they were scrapping, raking, and yanking at the ball from the opening kickoff.  Like, everytime they got one of our guys stood up, they were going for the strip.  Whereas, I rarely saw that from our guys.  It didn't look like it was a point of emphasis that is coached to our entire defense...  if you saw it, it may have only been one or two guys throughout the game that attempted to go for it...  even on gang tackles.  But again, they were all making a concerted effort to go for the ball every play.

Also, not mad at Frankie bc it was a Hugh throw and would've been a great play for a guy not regarded for his coverage, and he played his ass off regardless, but that pick at the end of the 1st half would've been huge...

Pressure generates turnovers & Snow is not blitzing enough to get pressure. Snow is also dropping Burns into coverage & only rushing three so there is that. On paper we are have the best defense we had in three years but have regressed quite a bit. It has to do more with play calling. We have the players on D. 

Yes turnovers would help our TOP, but this offense can’t sustain a drive once they have the ball. 

We need to pound the rock. Let the hogs up front play downhill. We need to incorporate the short passing game too. 

You want to help your QB get comfortable? Establish the run, and scheme some easy completions early. 

This is football, it really isn’t as complicated as people make it. 

4 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Yes turnovers would help our TOP, but this offense can’t sustain a drive once they have the ball. 

We need to pound the rock. Let the hogs up front play downhill. We need to incorporate the short passing game too. 

You want to help your QB get comfortable? Establish the run, and scheme some easy completions early. 

This is football, it really isn’t as complicated as people make it. 

I agree with pounding the rock. I’m not sure Baker is capable of the short passing game. The batted balls at the line are a massive issue for anything short and with timing.