• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Legit, non knee jerk question.. is Baker even a capable backup at this point worth using a roster spot and 5th rounder on?

I think Baker has talent, but not transcendent talent. 

Most QB’s are like this. Put complementary pieces around them, and a solid coordinator who can scheme to the players strengths, and you can succeed. 

Baker can make all the throws necessary at this level, but he can’t overcome the incompetence level right now. 

The problem is…we watched nearly a decade of a transcendent talent at the position. We had success without big brains calling the plays. It was still obvious the playcalling wasn’t great, but he could make lemonade out of lemons all game. 

We don’t have that dude now, but our talent on offense is better than this poo show, and I put it all on McAdoo/Rhule. Using players the opposite way they should be isn’t Bakers fault. 

• Pie 8

He could be a backup, but probably not a good one in this scheme. He's really only effective when he can roll out of the pocket or take a super-deep Madden drop. Both let him look downfield and get him clear of rushers' hands. If whoever our next coach is wants to run a Shanahan/play-fake heavy offense then yeah. If not, pass. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, Toomers said:

The 5th is gone. It’s a 4th if he plays 70%. Sitting him doesn’t get the 5th back. 

This

The 5th will turn into a 4th if he plays 70%. It’s fair to conclude we’ll be very close to eliminated from playoff contention by week 11… the real question is will the bench him if he keeps playing like poo.

I'll get pood, but I'd say he's alright, but the offense has to be tailored to him.  Basically, what they did in Cleveland, the high Play action and the roll outs that get him away from being behind the line and open up more passing lanes for him.  I don't think his ceiling is high, but that's what it'd take.  Fwiw, there's a lot of qbs who need systems that fit their skill set.  Cam wouldn't have thrived running timing based wco, and drew Brees would have died trying to run the Coryell offense with him often as a runner, so scheme is important.  I think macadoos lack of scheme shows a fundamental inability to adjust to personel.

• Pie 3

Just now, Carolina Cajun said:

I'll get pood, but I'd say he's alright, but the offense has to be tailored to him.  Basically, what they did in Cleveland, the high Play action and the roll outs that get him away from being behind the line and open up more passing lanes for him.  I don't think his ceiling is high, but that's what it'd take.  Fwiw, there's a lot of qbs who need systems that fit their skill set.  Cam wouldn't have thrived running timing based wco, and drew Brees would have died trying to run the Coryell offense with him often as a runner, so scheme is important.  I think macadoos lack of scheme shows a fundamental inability to adjust to personel.

Being "alright" isnt going to win a lot of games in the nfl

12 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Being "alright" isnt going to win a lot of games in the nfl

You are correct, and I agree, but he's not wholly terrible is all I'm saying.  He isn't good at what we're asking him to do and he's average when he does the things he does do well. That's all I'm saying.  For instance, he would be a phenomenal backup, or maybe a starter for the titans, they could build In a ton of play action and bootlegs for him to succeed.  So essentially the question of is he good enough to be a backup...sure, definitely sure in the right situation.

15 hours ago, electro's horse said:

he can be a backup. he can probably run the 2nd team on practice. 

not sure he's AS BAD as he looks right now. I mean he looks like he can't even complete the route tree at this point. Maybe he was more injured than he let on? 

Head injury, between the ears.