• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The real owner we missed out on… Mark Richardson

TheBigKat

14 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Jerry, being an old timer, opted to bail out rather that take all the media an public scrutiny. 

Ultimately, but I do think he floated a "trial balloon" of sorts first.

Remember, Richardson initially said that the team would conduct an "internal investigation" into the allegations. I've long thought that he did this because he believed the boys club would have his back.

They didn't.

When he saw that they weren't going to let him just paper over what had happened, that's when he made the choice to sell and avoid the proverbial sh-tstorm.

Even then though, Gantt reported he was bitter about the whole thing right up till the end.

19 minutes ago, davos said:

True story: Mark was heavily involved with the South Park Madame ordeal but it was never really under the limelight—and actually tried to leave his family for one of her associates. He was pretty much disowned by his dad and reviled by many in the organization for other reasons. JR chose to sell not just because of NFL owner persuasion (even though he was effectively their senile whipping boy) but because he dissed his sh*t for nothing sons.

Good ole Morrocroft drama 

I've heard stuff like this from a couple of different sources.

Mark would have been a disaster of epic proportions

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, gofightwin said:

LOL. Mark Richardson would make Mark Davis look uber-rich. He would have no real net worth beyond the team he inherited and any cash daddy gave him. No thanks. I want an owner that has his own skin in the game, not something he inherited from Daddy. 

How's that working for us now? The line cook vs former Colt.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Which is admirable and he was obviously involved in some wrongdoing, but it didn't reach the level of selling the team.  To be honest, I think JR only had Jones and Rooney that he had as allies.  Once wind of the NDAs got to the League office, the wheels set in motion to get Tepper his team.  Even Jerry wanted the dude from Charleston (forget his name) to take over the team, he even had the higher bid. 

Jerry, being an old timer, opted to bail out rather that take all the media an public scrutiny.  Tepper was hand picked by the League, IMO.  They just needed a door opened somewhere and that somewhere was here.

Ben Navarro.....and he would have been a great Panther's owner for a number of reasons.  Guaranteed the Panthers would be in a much better situation right now if he had 'won' the bid.  

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Even then though, Gantt reported he was bitter about the whole thing right up till the end.

Like him or not, he has every right to be, considering guys like Snyder are still able to own a team. He was a bad owner, I don't feel bad for him either being a billionaire, but in the context of NFL ownership he was done wrong. 

• Pie 1

Truth is, JR had it in his will that upon his death the team was to be sold. So the decision to sell the team before he died, no matter the reason, was a rather easy one because he was halfway there already. For heaven's sake he was falling asleep during the games lol. 

At least Tepper managed to get rid of JR's statue from the front of the stadium. 

4 hours ago, thennek said:

Ben Navarro.....and he would have been a great Panther's owner for a number of reasons.  Guaranteed the Panthers would be in a much better situation right now if he had 'won' the bid.  

Was a fellow named Goodnight in the group? Deal was Tepper already had the money in Cash......the other group needed to sell off assets and file a bunch of paper work.....that may not happen like everyone thinks. Within hours tepper could back up a couple brinks trucks and its a done deal....the other could take months and run into allll sort of government/family issues. 

Example you are selling your car for 3k. Two people show up and one goes "I will hand you 3,700$ after I borrow form my aunt and grandpappy....O and I need to sell my current car as well..... But i will have the money to you in four days" The other pulls out a knot of crisp hundos- "I got 3k right here". Which do you take?

• Beer 2

7 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Ultimately, but I do think he floated a "trial balloon" of sorts first.

Remember, Richardson initially said that the team would conduct an "internal investigation" into the allegations. I've long thought that he did this because he believed the boys club would have his back.

They didn't.

When he saw that they weren't going to let him just paper over what had happened, that's when he made the choice to sell and avoid the proverbial sh-tstorm.

I guess you can understand why. Richardson carried the water for the NFL since the team’s establishment. He kept that damn NFL logo at midfield despite fan objection out of reverence to the League and practically dedicate his life to it. And how did they repay him?

I get the feeling that JR may have made some enemies after the negotiations of the last CBA (the pie chart press conference comes to mind). Based on more egregious conduct by other owners e.g. Snyder, it certainly appears influential people within the owner’s circle were waiting for the opportunity to force him out.  I think it was the right decision but I question the motive. 

Edited by Prowler2k18
  • Pie 1

2 hours ago, Prowler2k18 said:

I guess you can understand why. Richardson carried the water for the NFL since the team’s establishment. He kept that damn NFL logo at midfield despite fan objection out of reverence to the League and practically dedicate his life to it. And how did they repay him?

I get the feeling that JR may have made some enemies after the negotiations of the last CBA (the pie chart press conference comes to mind). Based on more egregious conduct by other owners e.g. Snyder, it certainly appears influential people within the owner’s circle were waiting for the opportunity to force him out.  I think it was the right decision but I question the motive. 

All plausible