• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The real owner we missed out on… Mark Richardson

TheBigKat

For those who followed this team early, he was being groomed as successor. Was involved in the league and seen constantly as BigCat’s right hand, similar to:

Jerry Jones / Stephen Jones

Malcolm Glazer / Joel Glazer

Al Davis / Mark Davis

this team had a succession plan but apparently the brothers couldn’t get along and the BigCat had to cut them off

‘And the joint resignations apparently resulted from a decision by their father, Jerry Richardson, to figuratively clunk their heads together and tell them to get out.’

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/02/sibling-disputes-triggered-exit-of-richardson-brothers/amp/

Jon goes on to pass 4 years later

Mark gets 50 Bojangles and falls from limelight

BigCat gets a heart transplant then basically shoved out the door while slimeballs like Snyder still own the Commanders

hindsight is always undefeated but this franchise would have been better served with Mark Richardson then Tepper Sports Entertainment Group that brought us artificial turf, soccer and failed public relations with both North and South Carolina 

A90A6003-2C1C-4EFF-A727-F79B59C13990.jpeg

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm not going to cry about us missing out on nepotism. And I don't think it actually mattered if we had a succession plan in place or not. It seemed pretty obvious that the league had made a deal with Tepper that he was next in line to get a team and they saw an opportunity to force out a geriatric owner to make it happen sooner than they had anticipated. Not to defend JR's actions, but I mean damn, Dan Snyder still hasn't been forced out yet 

We didn't miss out on nepotism.  We just received another form and it wasn't a direct family member. 

• Pie 7
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm not going to cry about us missing out on nepotism. And I don't think it actually mattered if we had a succession plan in place or not. It seemed pretty obvious that the league had made a deal with Tepper that he was next in line to get a team and they saw an opportunity to force out a geriatric owner to make it happen sooner than they had anticipated. Not to defend JR's actions, but I mean damn, Dan Snyder still hasn't been forced out yet 

Yeah the Dan Snyder thing really makes JR being ousted so headscratching. If you get rid of JR, how in the world do you justify keeping Snyder around?

JR must have really not had many friends in the owner ranks and in the league office.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 4

5 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

JR wasn't forced out, he willingly sold the team to "protect the shield".

He fell on his own sword. No one made him do it.

He made billions in "falling on his sword" when he wanted out. Let's not cry too many tears for him.

Honestly, one billionaire is interchangeable with the next when viewed from down here in the cheap seats. 

• Pie 5

4 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

He made billions in "falling on his sword" when he wanted out. Let's not cry too many tears for him.

Honestly, one billionaire is interchangeable with the next when viewed from down here in the cheap seats. 

Dude looked at the oncoming media shitstorm and said:

GIF by Giphy QA

Then took his money and had a sad like:

GIF by Giphy QA

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

True story: Mark was heavily involved with the South Park Madame ordeal but it was never really under the limelight—and actually tried to leave his family for one of her associates. He was pretty much disowned by his dad and reviled by many in the organization for other reasons. JR chose to sell not just because of NFL owner persuasion (even though he was effectively their senile whipping boy) but because he dissed his sh*t for nothing sons.

Good ole Morrocroft drama 

Edited by davos
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

JR wasn't forced out, he willingly sold the team to "protect the shield".

He fell on his own sword. No one made him do it.

Which is admirable and he was obviously involved in some wrongdoing, but it didn't reach the level of selling the team.  To be honest, I think JR only had Jones and Rooney that he had as allies.  Once wind of the NDAs got to the League office, the wheels set in motion to get Tepper his team.  Even Jerry wanted the dude from Charleston (forget his name) to take over the team, he even had the higher bid. 

Jerry, being an old timer, opted to bail out rather that take all the media an public scrutiny.  Tepper was hand picked by the League, IMO.  They just needed a door opened somewhere and that somewhere was here.

• Pie 3

I’m not one for rumor mill stuff with players, but do have an ear into ownership circles through a circle of former rules committee dudes, ex-GMs and coaches. This team was never getting passed to the Richardson kin but Mark did himself no favors. Absolute sh*thead. And when the time finally came, Tepper was pretty much the top of their very real pipeline of potential owners.

• Pie 2