• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Once And For All (Batted Passes)

Catsfan69

6 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

cut blocking” is frowned upon in the NFL, so is hitting somebody in the balls. 

I don't care if it's frowned upon. It gets hands down almost everythime.

You can’t base your pass protection off of acting like you’re gonna hit dudes in the balls, this isn’t the longest yard.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Just now, Cdparr7 said:

You can’t base your pass protection off of acting like you’re gonna hit dudes in the balls, this isn’t the longest yard.

It is a known and taught technique. It's not new. And you don’t actually have to punch in the balls except in extreme cases. Typically just hit them between the fat pad and the waistband.

This isn't some movie bs.

Just now, Catsfan69 said:

It is a known and taught technique. It's not new. And you don’t actually have to punch in the balls except in extreme cases. Typically just hit them between the fat pad and the waistband.

This isn't some movie bs.

Dude I played the game. I was a lineman through high school and college and I never was taught to hit people in the balls. I was different offenses and the closest thing we ever got to that was in high school we ran the flex bone and my 80 year old position coach would tell us to fire off low and put a forearm 3” above the knee cap and drive. 

We never practiced nut punches between chutes, sleds, and mirror drills. 

12 minutes ago, Cdparr7 said:

Dude I played the game. I was a lineman through high school and college and I never was taught to hit people in the balls. I was different offenses and the closest thing we ever got to that was in high school we ran the flex bone and my 80 year old position coach would tell us to fire off low and put a forearm 3” above the knee cap and drive. 

We never practiced nut punches between chutes, sleds, and mirror drills. 

I don't know why you weren't taught.

The film session someone else posted earlier and also in this thread also says the same thing.

It brings the hands down. And you don’t actually hit the balls till all else fails.

But as a lineman if you don't think you are responsible for batted passes I don't know what to tell you.

56 minutes ago, CRA said:

Yet no mention of the playcalling factoring? 

we are too RPO heavy, to short and to the outside heavy.  They require a certain throw.  Defenders know what is coming way too often. They can see the QB.  The OL can’t.   The timing gets easy. 

Need to ditch the RPO's and actually run the ball to set up play action. Zero thought was put into matching an OC with the roster or with grabbing Baker to run said OC's style of play calling. Just throwing poo at the wall out of desperation

• Pie 2

This isn't making sense, because we've had way worse O-lines than we have this season, and we haven't had this problem with other QB's.  I'm not sure where the percentages of blame fall between OL and QB, but there's no way to absolve Baker of this issue.

1 hour ago, BIGH2001 said:

This doesn't explain the historical pace we are on for batted passes. 

Actually it definitely does.   Our oline isnt making the dline pay for stretching out to bat them down.   I'm not sure if its coaching or what.  Also it doesnt have to be in the balls, can be gut, ribs, or a hard shove the second they try to extend to bat the ball down.  Honestly it's hard for them to extend to bat the ball down if the olineman doesnt give them space as well.  There are lots of options to slow it down, and I never see us doing any of them on tape.

Edited by Tr3ach
  • Pie 2

1 hour ago, Cdparr7 said:

This made me chuckle. Nice post.   I can see Rhule reading this thread and insisting the OL spend time on the new drill he invented.  When Beker goes back to pass, everyone punch your guy in the ding ding.  

That’s the process at work. 

All the ballsack punching aside…If a Dlineman leaves his feet while engaged and lands anywhere but on his back. That’s on the olineman. Bury your man, finish a block, if he jumps see how far you can toss him. The best part is it’s legal 🤷‍♂️

• Pie 8

you can't just punch defensive linemen in the balls in the nfl, which is why offensive linemen don't do this and their coaches won't let them. 

OP sounds like one of those weirdos that played a year of high school ball, sucked at it, quit because the coach was stupid, and then made fictionally hardcore elements of it his entire identity to compensate for his flagging testosterone 

• Pie 4