• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Just how deeply disliked was Matt Rhule?

Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

Tepper didn't have to hire him. I would have thanked his wife for the meatballs and wished him luck. I also wouldn't have had Hurney as an adviser as he would have be my first victim as soon as I took over, so there's that. 

Hurney famously wanted Steve Spurrier over John Fox. Rhule reminded me a lot of a young Steve without the winning. I also think Tepper just wanted someone to handle everything and that's not how the NFL works. As an owner you have a lot of people you have to manage or allow the GM to manage. 

• Beer 1

57 minutes ago, toldozer said:

Came off southern preacher to me.  Told a friend right off the bat he wouldn't be good

Yeah, his initial speech creeped me out but everyone said, “players would run through a wall for him.”

I thought “meh, it may work for guys in their 20s.”

After all, Ray Lewis’ pump-up gibberish speeches never made sense to me either.

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

Tepper didn't have to hire him. I would have thanked his wife for the meatballs and wished him luck. I also wouldn't have had Hurney as an adviser as he would have be my first victim as soon as I took over, so there's that. 

I'll never understand how Hurney was not sent packing before Rivera.  I said this in another thread today, they both needed to go, but it was done exactly backwards.

• Beer 3

1 hour ago, CPcavedweller said:

What was Rhule's "thing"? Like what did he come in being good at? Most NFL Head Coaches now have a specialty of some kind and it's beyond being a position coach for those who are successful. 

He was brought in to build a program. Develop a culture of winning. He wasn't brought in for x's and o's. It was a good idea. He just couldn't translate his proven blueprint to the pros. Winning with innovative football on the field is what builds teams at this level.

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I'll never understand how Hurney was not sent packing before Rivera.  I said this in another thread today, they both needed to go, but it was done exactly backwards.

Teppers first mistake was not consulting with a well respected and knowledgeable football executive as soon as he bought the team.  Someone known for helping build a stable franchise to give him an honest evaluation of the team before going forward. 

Teppers second mistake was everything thing he preceeded to do after that.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 1

As someone who has interned for a college football program… the HC being involved with the social media team is STRAIGHT OUT OF COLLEGE. The HC was always involved with the social media team and with social media in general, there was actually a guy I worked with who got fired because they didn’t like a post that he made about the team on a non-affiliated school message board, how they linked it to him, I have no idea.

Edited by MillionDollarCam
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 4

58 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

He talks far far too much 

my business experience tells me someone who does that is ‘all mouth and no do’ 

People who won’t make their point and shut the hell up are counterproductive to the team…listening is a skill but diarrhea of the mouth is a curse

Edited by Shocker