• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What I'd like to see for the rest of the year

Peon Awesome

1 hour ago, Peon Awesome said:

Yeah I forgot about Eason. I think that goes to point 4. Just keep swapping qbs until you've thrown everything out there. I still want to see Sam play at least one game mostly cause he at least had that good stretch to start last year so maybe there's a chance he'll be better and we're paying him a bunch anyway, but I'd have a short leash and switch to Eason if he continues to show his poor play. We could start Eason next week at this point and keep playing him if he's any good and make Sam a moot point. But I figure he's going to have his lumps especially in this system.

Sam Darnold is a moot point regardless.  Let’s say they win 3 games in a similar fashion to the opening last year? Which he wasn’t actually displaying great QB play.   You can’t resign Sam even if that happens.  No new coach would want their roster handicapped with the worst NFL QB of the last half decade taking up a spot.   And that is what Sam would be even if he added a couple more wins

Just let the season play out. There's probably not a Hollywood sports movie comeback here. There are historically very few in-season player trades. Most likely we will be active on the trade market in the draft when we have presumably a new coach in place. This is a lost season, and there isn't much value other than seeing what players might have the fortitude to stick out the tough times.

• Pie 1

I would like an overly aggressive pass heavy offense.  INTs be damned, get Eason out there an have him air it out to Shi, TMJ, Saunders, etc. and see who sticks.  

re: the CMC argument, I'm leaning on the trade train mostly because of where will he be in his career by the time we get the new HC, QB and are ready to compete.  Realistically, 2024 would be the year to be in compete mode.  But by then, he'll be 28 y/o with a lot of mileage.  What are realistically doing with him?  I say, get something while you can.  He's not someone putting us over the top on offense.  He could be that for a contender right now though...so maybe a good deal comes calling.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, CRA said:

Sam Darnold is a moot point regardless.  Let’s say they win 3 games in a similar fashion to the opening last year? Which he wasn’t actually displaying great QB play.   You can’t resign Sam even if that happens.  No new coach would want their roster handicapped with the worst NFL QB of the last half decade taking up a spot.   And that is what Sam would be even if he added a couple more wins

I'm not counting on any qbs being able to come in this year and demonstrate they can be our franchise QB. I think it's pretty much a foregone conclusion we are drafting a QB in the first. So I'm only suggesting Darnold with the hope he makes our offense semi-watchable so I have a reason to turn on the TV on Sundays. I'm still counting on the team spiraling to the #1 pick and sending Darnold packing to free agency. 

• Beer 1

Good post.

My 'like to see's' would be..

1. Use CMC much more as a slot WR or a WR out of the backfield. Give the other RB's all the inside runs. Lets see what he can do at WR and save him for next season.

2. Cade Mays needs reps. Hes a boom or bust player. 

3. TMJ needs significant reps. 

4. Give Brandon Smith reps at OLB and DE. He is a physical Micah Perasons... lets see if we can create that. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 hours ago, Peon Awesome said:

As I look ahead to 2023, my goal is to optimize our chances for the #1 pick without compromising the opportunity to build a perennial contender and still make the 2022 season watchable. How?

1. Don't trade good players away without a ransom. We need the foundations of a team for the future. Unless the player has no future with us, hold onto them. It will make this year more watchable too. Imagine how horrible this team would be without McCaffrey. 

2. Play some of the young guys especially in places without a clear cut veteran presence. I'm looking at you, Terrace Marshall Jr. Or even players like Cade Mays or Brandon Smith especially as first man up with any injuries. We have to see what we have and develop them into future assets or figure out sooner that they're unlikely to be in our long term plans. It's a shame Corral is injured or this would be a great time to roll the dice with him.

3. Play aggressive as hell (basically the opposite of the Rams game). I'm talking fake punts left and right, go for every 4th and short, suicide blitzes, let it fly downfield. Probably more likely to make us lose but be way more fun to watch in the process. A win-win.

4. Keep the QB carousel going. Get Darnold on the field the moment he's healthy. It will at least add intrigue to see if he can do anything with a decent offensive line and healthy McCaffrey. 

What do you say? Anything you hope to see or that would make watching our games worth your precious time on Sundays?

With Robbie Anderson traded, I've gotta imagine TMJ's snap count will increase dramatically.  If not....then that's a pretty bad sign.  I would disagree with inserting Cade Mays or any other o-lineman into the starting line-up just to evaluate them, since our o-line is playing so well as a unit.  Elevating Mays to the top of the depth chart at Guard, I'm on board with.  Maybe not at Center, as I'm still curious to see Bozeman in action although again not unless there's an injury or if Elflein becomes a liability.  But the o-line is one unit I'm very wary about experimenting with unless there's a good reason.

Point #3 sounds good but I just don't foresee a scenario where that will happen.  Wilks has seemingly given us a glimpse of his philosophy in the Rams game (which is ULTRA conservative) and I don't see him doing a complete 180 unless Tepper has instructed him otherwise.  I also don't think coaches particularly care about the entertainment value of the product they put on the field - they employ whatever game plan they think gives them the best chance to win, and sometimes that's just boring football.

I truly don't understand watching the offensive product on the field this season under Baker and PJ and objecting so forcefully to the idea of even trying Sam Darnold under center.  Our Darnold offense last year still outperformed whatever stinking heap of poo we've witnessed this year.  That very well could be the McAdoo effect, but I can't imagine being like "NO DARNOLD AT ANY COST" and instead preferring to watch PJ throw screen passes all game en route to 3 points.  Wilks clearly doesn't trust PJ enough to even pretend to throw a forward pass.  No one is expecting Darnold to light it up, but our current offensive output is such a low bar that even a bust like Darnold has a chance to put up more points.

• Pie 1

I agree with most of the original post.  Darnold is what Darnold is at this point.  The only point in getting him back out there is if somebody gets drunk and calls to trade for him, and that assumes he plays decently.  That is a big assumption.

What I would like to see is competitiveness.  Tough defense, and good OL play.  Play Eason to see what he has, because what we have seen of the other three is not good.  Even if Mayfield were to come back and catch fire, the odds of him, Darnold, or Walker being on the team next year are about nil.  They are our version of the Three Stooges right now, and there is more than enough bodies of work to hang onto that conclusion.

I'd be content with competitive losses that show who should stay and who we should look to upgrade.  Give the new staff something to work with.

I like everything you said but would say with QB just play Eason. He's the only guy we haven't seen yet and would drum up excitement for at least 2-3 games. 

Also yeah, TMJ and Brandon need to get a few starts and let's see what we have. OL is actually set for the next few years but sure through Cade in a few second halves and let's see what we have there. If we have CMC as part of our future plans then he shouldn't touch the ball as a RB more than 12 times a game, don't kill him in a wasted year. Line him up in the slot with Foreman at RB and let's have some fun

7 hours ago, Peon Awesome said:

As I look ahead to 2023, my goal is to optimize our chances for the #1 pick without compromising the opportunity to build a perennial contender and still make the 2022 season watchable. How?

1. Don't trade good players away without a ransom. We need the foundations of a team for the future. Unless the player has no future with us, hold onto them. It will make this year more watchable too. Imagine how horrible this team would be without McCaffrey. 

2. Play some of the young guys especially in places without a clear cut veteran presence. I'm looking at you, Terrace Marshall Jr. Or even players like Cade Mays or Brandon Smith especially as first man up with any injuries. We have to see what we have and develop them into future assets or figure out sooner that they're unlikely to be in our long term plans. It's a shame Corral is injured or this would be a great time to roll the dice with him.

3. Play aggressive as hell (basically the opposite of the Rams game). I'm talking fake punts left and right, go for every 4th and short, suicide blitzes, let it fly downfield. Probably more likely to make us lose but be way more fun to watch in the process. A win-win.

4. Keep the QB carousel going. Get Darnold on the field the moment he's healthy. It will at least add intrigue to see if he can do anything with a decent offensive line and healthy McCaffrey. 

What do you say? Anything you hope to see or that would make watching our games worth your precious time on Sundays?

Well, I like it.  Might work.