• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young Article

Jay Roosevelt

8 hours ago, davos said:

What's the most realistic to expect?:

Young turns out to be a baller and is an exception to the rule

vs.

Stroud shuts down an omen about a QB-School combo that hasn't had luck

vs.

Levis elevates his late game intangibles and decision making under pressure

--

Those are my three questions and I can't quite figure it out yet.  They're all awesome prospects in their own rights.

The OSU QB thing is way overblown. OSU hasn’t used a pro offense until just recently with Ryan Day. There have only been 4 total QBs taken in the 1st round from OSU. One is from the 1940s and died in war before he could play, one busted but in 1983, then you have Haskins and Fields. No rookie qb could succeed where Fields is at and Haskins was all mental. 
So 4 in what 80 years makes an average of one every couple decades and one didn’t even get to play so it’s hard to count him. 

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

The OSU QB thing is way overblown. OSU hasn’t used a pro offense until just recently with Ryan Day. There have only been 4 total QBs taken in the 1st round from OSU. One is from the 1940s and died in war before he could play, one busted but in 1983, then you have Haskins and Fields. No rookie qb could succeed where Fields is at and Haskins was all mental. 
So 4 in what 80 years makes an average of one every couple decades and one didn’t even get to play so it’s hard to count him. 

I agree on the OSU thing. I have to admit, I’m leaning towards Stroud all things considered.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Like most quarterbacks at schools like Alabama, Ohio State,  and Clemson, he looks great on a team that has significantly more talent than most of the teams they play.  Whether that translates into NFL success is anyone's guess.

See, I thought the same thing last year but Alabama this year is not as stacked at WR and OL as they have been in the past.

Mac Jones had arguably the best WR corp of all time in college to throw to; Bryce Young had a very good group last year as well, but this year's WR corp for Alabama isn't even all that good and their OL has struggled as well.

Make no mistake, Bryce Young is carrying that team right now. I do have concerns about his size, but I also feel like he is significantly better as a passer than the other options. That's not to say that Stroud or Levis can't catch up with enough development, but that's no guarantee.

In the end I'm not sure Young's size is a big enough issue that we should pass on his... everything else. Because everything else is really, really good.

• Pie 3

To quote Voch, I'm a Floor guy not a Ceiling guy. With Young I see Jake Locker (wrt durability and similar talents, not rly playstyles or football IQ) before I see better Russell Wilson.

I don't think Young is bad, but I think Stroud has a much higher floor with a slightly lower ceiling.

Edited by Rags

I think the whole school thing is highly overrated.  I saw a breakdown someone did recently of all the starting QBs in the league and where they went to college.  Something like 28 different schools were represented out of the 32 starters.  Might have been slightly lower than 28, but not by much. 

1 hour ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

See, I thought the same thing last year but Alabama this year is not as stacked at WR and OL as they have been in the past.

Mac Jones had arguably the best WR corp of all time in college to throw to; Bryce Young had a very good group last year as well, but this year's WR corp for Alabama isn't even all that good and their OL has struggled as well.

Make no mistake, Bryce Young is carrying that team right now. I do have concerns about his size, but I also feel like he is significantly better as a passer than the other options. That's not to say that Stroud or Levis can't catch up with enough development, but that's no guarantee.

In the end I'm not sure Young's size is a big enough issue that we should pass on his... everything else. Because everything else is really, really good.

Maybe, but Alabama still has a larger number of five-star recruits than anyone they play.  That is why it is so hard to judge how good a quarterback might be when he is in the NFL where the talent level is relatively even.  And from what I have read, Alabama's oline is better than it was last year.  And that is just as important as the wide receivers.  

Don't get me wrong, he may be great in the NFL, but it is so hard to judge.  If you look at the list of elite NFL quarterbacks, relatively few of them come from the Alabama/Ohio State teams.  I do wonder if we might be better off with the fourth or fifth pick in the Draft, let the other teams draft the big name school qb's while we get (hopefully) the next Allen or Mahomes.

It's a shame about Young's size because he's an absurdly talented QB, having said that, it does hold him back in my eyes at the NFL level. I'm not sure how you can pass on CJ Stroud if you are taking a QB at #1 overall pick, he checks all the boxes. Hell I'd think about taking Hendon Hooker over Young too because of how small Young is. Levis is a complete afterthought to me, no clue how people think he is better than Young, Stroud, Hooker at all. He's Ryan Tannehill at best. 

16 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

If he's small in college he's going to be a midget in the nfl. He's got talent I'll give him that.

Whoever takes him will be taking a chance that even if he can play at that level he will be a serious injury risk. 

I think if you take him you should be ready to draft his replacement the very next draft to cover your ass.

If a team had multiple picks they could take him and the kid from Tennessee like Washington did with RG3 and Cousins. Hell, one of them would half to stay healthy by default and the kid from Tennessee would have to drop. I feel like he has NFL potential, but will be 37 at the combine. 

7 minutes ago, NorthTryon said:

If a team had multiple picks they could take him and the kid from Tennessee like Washington did with RG3 and Cousins. Hell, one of them would half to stay healthy by default and the kid from Tennessee would have to drop. I feel like he has NFL potential, but will be 37 at the combine. 

maybe him and corrall?

• Flames 1

So I Bryce a better qb than Mac Jones and Tua? I thought he was but looking at the numbers, Tua and mac had way better numbers statistically. Granted I don’t think Young has the talent at WR that they had and apparently he’s the most rushed Qb. So maybe the numbers are misleading?