• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers "listening" on Shaq Thompson also

Mr. Scot

5 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

You don't think he's top half of the Sams in the League?

You think you can instantly replace his production on and off the field with a 4th or 5th round LB?

Because if you trade a guy you need to be able to replace his production either at his position or another position or you loose.

I honestly think he's very replaceable and that his contract is a significant liability.

For the record, I never wanted him re-signed to begin with. I wanted to let him walk as a free agent and hopefully next a comp pick. He's simply a replacement level player. If you can sign him for a reasonable deal, go for it. If you're going to have to pay him like a top talent you let him walk. That's how smart teams manage their rosters.

• Pie 4
  • Poo 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Good. I've been one of the few people saying Shaq absolutely needs to be shopped. I honestly don't even care what we get in return. We just need to unload that contract. He's a JAG and he's paid like a HOFer. I honestly don't know if he's even tradable.

Of course he's tradeable.  I'm sure toomers will correct me if i'm wrong, but a team getting shaq will be on the hook for about a million this year.  That's all.  Next year's base salary is not guaranteed.  If the team didn't want to pay that, they could cut him at no cost or re-work the contract.

We're the one that's on the hook for all the dead money this year and next.

Gotta be worth at least a 3rd for a contending team to rent a very good LB for about a mil.

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I honestly think he's very replaceable and that his contract is a significant liability.

For the record, I never wanted him re-signed to begin with. I wanted to let him walk as a free agent and hopefully next a comp pick. He's simply a replacement level player. If you can sign him for a reasonable deal, go for it. If you're going to have to pay him like a top talent you let him walk. That's how smart teams manage their rosters.

And you don't trade away draft picks so you can get that replacement level player on the cheap.

Shaq is maybe a little better than average, but he's not a game-changer. Teams don't gameplan around him. I'd be ecstatic if the Panthers got a 3rd rounder for him, but I may be shooting a bit high.

• Pie 1

18 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

You don't think he's top half of the Sams in the League?

You think you can instantly replace his production on and off the field with a 4th or 5th round LB?

Because if you trade a guy you need to be able to replace his production either at his position or another position or you loose.

I think he's the definition of average. Maybe slightly above replacement level. He consistently gets dinged up and misses a couple of games a year. He doesn't bring much as a pass rusher and his coverage skills are overrated (he averages ~4-5 passes defensed a season and has 3 career picks in 106 games). I absolutely think a 4th round LB (e.g. Brandon Smith who we drafted in the 4th this past year) could probably give you 80% of what Shaq does while bringing more pass rush juice. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

woof... thats going to hurt in dead cap. However, we'd probably get a 3rd for Shaq. Just bc he isnt liked in this thread, doesnt mean he isnt worth it to the team that is trading for him. They would be getting a top 10-15 LB for 12 million for 1.5 seasons. 

Eagles need LB help... so I could see them calling. They have the draft capital to send out.

The trading team would only have to pay him a little over a million this year with the way the contract is structured, could be worth a 3rd or 4th for both sides. He'll probably retire in another year or two anyway after getting that huge payday

We play Atlanta twice in the next 4 weeks and I’m worried we might win one of those games which will absolutely f*ck us

One of those games coming before the trade deadline. So trading off some of these guys needs to happen asap

CMC, Shaq and I’m listening on Derrick Brown. Rookie deal who is coming into his own. A non pass rushing DT is a luxury we don’t really have a need for right now

He's overpaid and we need to get out from under that contract but idk who would offer more than a 4th if we got a 3rd I would be pretty surprised. Some folks are whylin with the total fire sale talk. You still need some kind of team leaders to assert themselves here but I can't blame some guys for looking at other teams after the shitshow Rhule and Fitterer have overseen.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1