• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

We pretty much have to take a RB on day 2 in the draft, right?

t96

3 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Barkley is currently on a team with a winning record. And again, I’m not saying you need a first round RB, just saying the line that’s been floated many times about teams with first round RBs don’t win is provably false. Doesn’t matter if they’re not even the best RB on their team. 

Barkley is on pace for 420 or more touches it isn't sustainable and they'll end up in the same conundrum as us within the next 2 seasons.

9 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Nah, no more high picks on RBs but I’d definitely spend a second or later if a good one is available. 

A 2nd round pick is a high pick to me, especially where we'll pick in the 2nd. Should be plenty of talent available toward the end of the 3rd round and later.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

A 2nd round pick is a high pick to me, especially where we'll pick in the 2nd. Should be plenty of talent available toward the end of the 3rd round and later.

First round is high to me. I wouldn’t want to spend 33 either probably, unless it’s a really great one. But mid second isn’t a high investment. I’d rather spend the 49ers second on a top tier RB than a third on an average mid tier. If there isn’t a top tier one in the mid to low second, then get an average one in the fourth or so. 

• Beer 2

9 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

First round is high to me. I wouldn’t want to spend 33 either probably, unless it’s a really great one. But mid second isn’t a high investment. I’d rather spend the 49ers second on a top tier RB than a third on an average mid tier. If there isn’t a top tier one in the mid to low second, then get an average one in the fourth or so. 

I do think there is a point around the late second to third that a sweet spot where if you want a RB the talent is usually there with the lower risk of wasting draft capital.  I also think waiting till later is fine but as someone who is about as anti RB in the first as you can be I think historically you can see RBs drafted on day 2 tend to outperform the day 3 udfa guys.