• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

P.J is 5'11..no problem with batted balls

Jmac

Batted balls have been a problem only in two games this season and that was addressed through coaching. 

In a West Coast offense, with quick timed throws, it falls on the Oline to clear passing lanes and restrict defenders from blocking passing lanes.

If it's a 5 step drop or longer it's on the QB more to manipulate lanes and avoid tipping the pass to d-linemen. 

If you think this is a height or a decision making issue, please check season batted ball leaders in prior years - many are hall of fame or elite quality Qbs in 6'4" range. 

• Pie 3

2 hours ago, Rocky Davis said:

PJ played really well against Tampa.

I will say that McAdoodoo probably called the best game since he's been here and most likely since 2016.

Also, Baker was never suited to run an RPO offense and I have no clue why, again, we tried to fit a square peg in a round hole.  Defenses would never honor the "threat" of a Baker run....  😂😂

Agree, Baker is not an RPO QB.  However, when the QB is an option to carry the ball that's not RPO; that's zone read.  Cam was a zone read QB.

Our current offense is an RPO offense.  Go watch Ole Miss to see one of the best RPO offenses in college football.  Not as much RPO in the NFL, but many NFL offenses to have some RPO elements.  Our however looks way too much like a college RPO.

• Pie 2

It wasn't roll outs.

There was only one designed roll out that PJ passed the ball after he broke the pocket. The other roll out PJ threw while he was still in the pocket. A receiver didn't run the correct route and PJ scrambled outside the pocket one time to throw the ball out of bounds.

PJs success came inside the pocket off of 3 step drops and screens. His 2 TDs were delivered from inside the pocket with good footwork and timing. He stepped up into the pocket when receivers needed more time to develop the route.

PJ has better footwork than Darnold or Baker. He had many 3 step drops and hitched up into the passing lane. He held to his hitches and lanes even when he got pressured, hit, and leveled. Baker and Darnold would pull the ball down, take the sack, and try to escape.

I'm sure not having Elf to step up in the pocket helped a lot. I remember way too many times Baker stepped up in the pocket only to have Elf or Elf's defender in his face. Bozeman, Christensen and Corbett gave PJ the room he needed to be patient and trust his footwork.

• Pie 3

9 hours ago, saX man said:

The only problem being shorter QBs do have a limited capacity between the numbers in the 10-15 yard range so defenses can easily rule out certain throws in the short/mid range middle of the field.  Buuuut Kyler and Jalen (just started this year) have much less limited passing plays than people would've anticipated & are doing well at dispelling the assumption.

Russ is playing so poorly it's hard to even know with him anymore.

Heck, look at Bryce at :19 below, also 2:43 is a beaut over some big bois

That highlight reel is a thing of beauty. Just watch his feet.  His choppy steps and stature reminds me a ton of brees. Eyes always downfield and footwork is always in position to make the throw. 

If we’re not in a position to draft him, I sure hope we are willing to part with picks to get him here. 

7 hours ago, BrianS said:

Agree, Baker is not an RPO QB.  However, when the QB is an option to carry the ball that's not RPO; that's zone read.  Cam was a zone read QB.

Our current offense is an RPO offense.  Go watch Ole Miss to see one of the best RPO offenses in college football.  Not as much RPO in the NFL, but many NFL offenses to have some RPO elements.  Our however looks way too much like a college RPO.

What is strange is that I've heard for years is that Mayfield was one of the better RPO quarterbacks in college. As I don't watch college football, I'd not know, but I heard that he or Tua were the best at that. 

And you are correct, RPO is run/pass option, as in optional running or passing play based on defense, and not an option to pass or run the ball by the QB. Cam ran that Zone read so damn well, but I think that scheme is QB destroyer in the long run in the NFL. 

17 hours ago, BrianS said:

I understand the difference between a zone read and an RPO, but within an RPO you should have a mobile QB so that the threat of the QB running the ball is still there. 

Baker and Darnold are, for the most part, strictly going to either hand the ball off to the RB or opt for a pass.  Also, neither have been really good about selling the run option for as long as possible a la Cam.

PJ does bring a more mobile QB aspect although he is more of a passer than a running threat.

On 10/25/2022 at 5:31 PM, Samppson said:

I figured I'd post this, I really have enjoyed his breakdowns, especially the ones leading up to the draft on the prospects.

Going to look  at this later. Thanks for posting it. i like this guys analyses a lot.