• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: Panthers highly unlikely to trade DJ Moore

TheSpecialJuan

3 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Regarding cap space, I would guess that several players will be gone next year.  Elflein almost definitely.  Shaq Thompson maybe.  Those two alone clear up 17 million in cap space.  

17 m?

Bozeman and Burns will likely take 30m to resign on a friendly structure. The rookies with all our picks another 10m+. Not to even mention other resigns.

Guess you could wait on Burns with the risk of pissing him off and having a more impactful structure.

But that’s nothing. Ideally, around 30m-40m should be the minimum.

For a perpetual 5 win team….double to triple that would make more sense but alas here we are.

I guess there is some rollover too, I still think there will be a disappointing name or two that we can’t keep and yet again will not be able to grab the best FAs.

Also need to account for future contracts.

Fact is paying Djax, Anderson, Thomas, Darnold, and Shaq (yes I know that’s a long time ago but still) were really, really stupid moves and set this franchise back. Plus dead money from whoever else.

Like why even fire Hurney?

Edited by onmyown

5 hours ago, onmyown said:

17 m?

Bozeman and Burns will likely take 30m to resign on a friendly structure. The rookies with all our picks another 10m+. Not to even mention other resigns.

Guess you could wait on Burns with the risk of pissing him off and having a more impactful structure.

For a perpetual 5 win team….double to triple that would make more sense but alas here we are.

I guess there is some rollover too, I still think there will be a disappointing name or two that we can’t keep and yet again will not be able to grab the best FAs.

Fact is paying Djax, Anderson, Thomas, Darnold, and Shaq (yes I know that’s a long time ago but still) were really, really stupid moves and set this franchise back. Plus dead money from whoever else.

You seem very concerned about cap space yet seem to have no clue of the ramifications of what trading Moore would to the cap.

6 hours ago, onmyown said:

17 m?

I'm glad you're not a cap manager, because you would suck at your job if Burns+Bozeman=30M in year one of a deal. Thank God the Panthers have smarter cap people than you.

24 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

This is a trade that would make me mad over any other. 

Agreed. And the Giants just traded a first round WR who is all the things Panthers fans would have eviscerated DJ Moore for being. We could do so much worse. And for the sake of clarity take a look at the all time Panthers receiving list and tell me we are in position to jettison a talented receiver and we will just back ourselves into another one because we're that lucky.

12 hours ago, KillerKat said:

Why does everyone assume that it is a guarantee to draft equal or better talent than the core players they want to give away? 

This 100%.  “Let’s trade away DJ Moore and have Shi Smith be our #1!  We can draft a new receiver, it might even be someone like DJ Moore!”

• Pie 1

I think Moore is off the table unless it's just an outrageous offer. Like if the giants decided they can compete and sent 2 first round picks and some change for him or something like that. Otherwise I think Panthers are very happy with his contact and his skills and have no reason to move him.

2 hours ago, Peppers90 NC said:

You seem very concerned about cap space yet seem to have no clue of the ramifications of what trading Moore would to the cap.

Moore ramifications would be for the future not right now. And but I already said I was against trading Moore. But because there is no one behind him not for any other reason.

2 hours ago, Luciu5 said:

I'm glad you're not a cap manager, because you would suck at your job if Burns+Bozeman=30M in year one of a deal. Thank God the Panthers have smarter cap people than you.

Just throwing out random numbers but I don’t see how it won’t be close. But please do tell if Bozeman keeps playing at a high level and Burns ends up with 15 sacks or whatever, what a premier DE and above average olineman would cost?

Burns is already making more than half that on a 5th year. 

10 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Just throwing out random numbers but I don’t see how it won’t be close. But please do tell if Bozeman keeps playing at a high level and Burns ends up with 15 sacks or whatever, what a premier DE and above average olineman would cost?

Burns is already making more than half that on a 5th year. 

Myles Garrett signed a 5 year deal. Year one cap hit is $9M. I'd expect Burns inital cap hit as $6M-7M.

Edited by Luciu5

2 hours ago, frankw said:

Agreed. And the Giants just traded a first round WR who is all the things Panthers fans would have eviscerated DJ Moore for being. We could do so much worse. And for the sake of clarity take a look at the all time Panthers receiving list and tell me we are in position to jettison a talented receiver and we will just back ourselves into another one because we're that lucky.

We’re gonna be targeting a qb with our first round pick and that person would basically be without any quality vet receivers. That is a no go for me. I don’t care if dj isn’t in our “window.” We need a good receiver (I think dj can be great with a talented qb) to help in those first couple of years.

• Beer 1