• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baker Mayfield wanted assurance Panthers committed to winning after trades

ladypanther

It's obvious PJ is a better QB. He runs the offense better, moving folks, changing protections, moving around in the pocket, actually letting the screen develop sucking in the defender BEFORE he camly arcs it over their outstretched arms. Changing pace with quick decisions and firing the ball in. PJ like Corral remains accurate while on the run. I'm so impressed with PJ. He deserves the job.

It's been a thing of beauty watching PJ play like that. No fear. Just accuracy, IQ.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, WarPanthers89 said:

We should cut him. Absolutely no reason he should take another snap for us and cost us a 4th round pick. Sam is the backup as his money is guaranteed anyway 

no way, let him sit a few more where no way they can get that 4th then let him play a few late games. If he shows enough someone will sign him in free agency and we get a comp or even next march when 2023 trade opens. baker is good enough to go backup somewhere 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, jb2288 said:

no way, let him sit a few more where no way they can get that 4th then let him play a few late games. If he shows enough someone will sign him in free agency and we get a comp or even next march when 2023 trade opens. baker is good enough to go backup somewhere 

Idk that’s questionable. PJ looks 10x better than Baker has at any point with us and the guy was in the XFL before we got him. I see no benefit to letting him play for us again and I highly doubt he does anything that would cause another team to offer more than they already will to let him hold a clip board 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, WarPanthers89 said:

Idk that’s questionable. PJ looks 10x better than Baker has at any point with us and the guy was in the XFL before we got him. I see no benefit to letting him play for us again and I highly doubt he does anything that would cause another team to offer more than they already will to let him hold a clip board 

Well if you cut him you gain absolutely nothing. If you keep him there's a chance (albeit small) you could get something/anything for him. I also think we are all jumping the gun wayyyyy too hard on PJ. seriously doubt he is the starter 3 games from now

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, lightsout said:

Why are we shitting on Baker? Dude has been a standup guy the entire time he's been here. Sure he struggled, mostly with the batted balls and having Matt Rhule as his head coach, but he's been the perfect teammate as far as we can tell. Flat out said "of course I want to play but PJ is hot, so I'm helping us win by supporting him however I can and running scout team". That's big considering he's a first round pick who has only been a starter.

Asking the GM if we're committed to winning after trading your most prized weapon? That's a team leader move imo. If Burns or Shaq or DJ did this, nobody would bat an eye or they'd be happy that a team leader feels this way. But because it's Baker it's a bad thing? Idk.

Sam's been a standup guy too but I don't see you jumping to his defense

52 minutes ago, Cam Lawter said:

It's the same poo as Russel Wilson catching flak in Denver. Dude is clowned on constantly for being "fake and not genuine" when no one knows how he acts behind closed doors. He was recently clowned on for working out on an airplane lmao.  Yet everyone loves Marshawn Lynch even after he was caught driving drunk with his tires literally off his vehicle. Weird World we live in.

As for PJ, dude looked like trash under Rhule. I'll give Mayfield the benefit of the doubt until I see him play under Wilks before I start slinging poo at him. The team seems way more ignited and competitive since Rhule has been fired.

I doubt playing under a coach you don't like causes an NFL quarterback to make bad throwing decisions and be inaccurate when he does throw the ball, but I can see how it can impact the effort given by players at other positions where effort is as important as skill. QB isn't as much about how hard you try as it is about your skill in doing so, so the morale boost of discarding a disliked coach for a popular one seems less like it would matter there.

You are right about the bizarre perceptions of fans regarding players they don't know personally.