• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Eddy Piñeiro isn't cut yet ?

Chris Smitty

4 hours ago, YourLastThought said:

So does it hurt to bring a few guys in for a tryout? Since nobody EVER in the history of sports has been found by bringing someone in off the couch for a tryout just to do due diligence I guess we shouldn't worry about it and say to hell with it.

Good lord, you guys are treating him like he's missed the majority of his kicks. The guy is 14/16 on FG's and 12/13 on extra points on this team. Up until this game he had only missed one kick for us. If he starts missing more for us this season then maybe but right now it's pretty damn reactionary to do so.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 4

51 minutes ago, ichigo1057 said:

Good lord, you guys are treating him like he's missed the majority of his kicks. The guy is 14/16 on FG's and 12/13 on extra points on this team. Up until this game he had only missed one kick for us. If he starts missing more for us this season then maybe but right now it's pretty damn reactionary to do so.

I would put him on a short leash.  Gonzalez is on IR so we really need to be patient with Pinerio unless he keeps missing kicks.

The one thing is, if this gets to his head he could be finished. 

13 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Can we just quit with the calling for someone's head when they fail at something? This is freaking childish.

The guy has been money as a kicker every time he's walked out there before.

Had the refs followed the rules and realized that wasn't a penalty on DJ, this wouldn't be a topic and Eddie would have given us the walk-off score.

Please, let's stop judging people at a level we wouldn't want to face for ourselves. 

Well said

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

4 hours ago, ichigo1057 said:

I agree it is reactionary on my behalf but he did play a major part in contributing to that loss. I'm just saying if I were coach i would bring in a few guys to tryout and look at just to show that is acceptable. If you are going to miss one, miss one that doesn't have such a huge bearing on the outcome of the game when it depends on you. We probably won't find a better kicker than him but at least it puts in his mind we aren't complacent and going to accept that garbage play when the game is counting on him. It does not hurt to give a few guys a look at least but I totally agree 99.99% chance we will not find better during the season. That loss just stung is all and it is mostly on him with not one but two chances to put us ahead. I don't want to pay him on the back for that and tell him great job. I at least would want to do something to let him know next time that situation comes upif the distance is within reason, he needs to make it. Especially with two chances to put the team ahead.

Edited by YourLastThought

The average kicker in the NFL makes 2.5 million a year...................for that amount of money I'd expect myself to be able to make those two kicks on Sunday blindfolded.

2.5 million to miss those two kicks.................

Good gawd how long to most people have to work to make a fraction of that in their lifetime?

Oh he's under the pressure to win the game.............pressure??...........pressure??

Being a pay check or two from becoming homeless is pressure................not being a millionaire kicking a football..............

He lost the game after the rest of the team manage to put that win in his lap. 

One person didn't put the Panthers in position to win the game............but one person certainly lost the game after the team put it in his lap on Sunday. 

• Beer 1

32 minutes ago, PghPanther said:

The average kicker in the NFL makes 2.5 million a year...................for that amount of money I'd expect myself to be able to make those two kicks on Sunday blindfolded.

Good gawd how long to most people have to work to make a fraction of that in their lifetime?

Oh he's under the pressure to win the game.............pressure??...........pressure??

Being a pay check or two from becoming homeless is pressure................not being a millionaire kicking a football..............

One person didn't put the Panthers in position to win the game............but one person certainly lost the game after the team put it in his lap on Sunday. 

Ah, the old "he makes more than me" argument.  And using skewed data, no less.

Interesting you mention the salary of the average kicker and use that as ammunition when THIS kicker's salary is readily available.  For the record, it is roughly 1/3 of the average kicker.  He isn't paid $2.5M to "miss those two kicks", which is the point of your rant, he is paid $895k.

And what's the difference, you ask?  By your own admission, Pinero is then paid substantially less than the average for his efforts and performance.  According to OverTheCap, he is #37 of 43 kickers by average earnings (salary+ amortized bonus). That puts him in the bottom 15% of kickers.  Yet, when we look at the stats (NFL.com has them if you want to check my work) he is lodged at #19 by FG percentage of 40 kickers who have tried at least one FG, including Sunday's miss.  In the interest of full disclosure, of the 18 in front of him, one guy is 1 for 1, two are 2 for 2, and one is 3 for 3 which one could argue are too small of a sample size to even include, but NFL.com did.

So, you are trying to prove you point based on the earnings of the average NFL kicker and then applying your standard of perfection.  Neither apply.  Pinero is in the bottom 15% of kicker compensation, but performing roughly at the median even after Sunday.

By dragging salary into this (and then mangling the data), what you actually proved was 1) he is underpaid based on the numbers, and 2) he is outperforming his compensation.

Should you be fired from the board for this?

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, PghPanther said:

But let's be realistic here. If you could make those kicks consistently, you'd be in the NFL.  He missed two that he has made before.  He has been very consistent this year.

Dude didn't lose his job over one game in no small part because on the year he's been overall very consistent.  If he'd missed a few others this year then we'd probably be seeing competition at kicker.  If he misses a few more coming up, maybe we do find a different kicker this year. But as of now, it's an overreaction to cut him or bring in competition imo.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Better yet, if they get a penalty, off with their heads.  

Yep. That's classic fanthink.

"He made a mistake last game? Cut him!!!" 🙄

(then sign somebody who's not as good, because that'll show him)

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yep. That's classic fanthink.

"He made a mistake last game? Cut him!!!" 🙄

(then sign somebody who's not as good, because that'll show him)

Agreed, can't cut him just because he has a bad game.  Now if he starts consistently missing, then that is different.  

That being said, there is a part of me that wishes we had signed Nick Sciba.  Under fifty, the guy doesn't miss.  He does struggle with anything over 50 though.  

Edited by Davidson Deac II