• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rams Offering Two (Future) Firsts for Burns

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

But in reality there are not any less in value

It's like the time/value of money.  $100 now is worth more than $100 next year to most people.  A player drafted now will have a year of experience under his belt vs one drafted the following year.  I'm not saying I agree with it or it's 100% accurate, but that's where it's coming from.  That 2nd from the Darnold trade hurt like a 2nd this past year, not a 3rd. 

18 minutes ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

The whole “a 1st in two years is worth a 3rd this year” is the absolute dumbest way to value picks ever. I hate it and it’s absolutely illogical. I know teams use this scale but it makes no sense. Cause come 2025 that logic goes completely out the window and suddenly that pick is worth multiple future 1sts.

No what you said is stupid logic.  Who know what happens in 2025? You don't value potential which can vary from a number 1 pick to a number 32 pick the same as a proven commodity. Burns cost us a top 10 pick and has been everything we thought he would be.  He has stayed healthy and is the best DE we have.  Future picks are always valued less than current picks and should be.  While we aren't a player or two away we also don't need a complete rebuild. He is a core of the defense and teams gameplan against him. That is worth more than what we could get years from now.

Burn's isn't even a top DE or Edge guy. It is mostly about promise and ability still in his 4th year. Or is he?

I went to look at any NFL rankings for that group and PFF (yes it's inaccurate) won't show but the top 3 in order. Can anyone with a PFF subscription pull Burns ranking from their site? nfl/grades/position/ed 

Just curious where he generally ranks. 

So if we don't end up liking one of the top QBs this year or aren't in a position to get one, how much easier would it be to move with 2 1sts in 24 and an extra in 25 as compensation. There's a lot of dynamics at play. I like Burns, but if trading him could increase the likelihood of getting a franchise QB, I gotta make that move. Way more at play than just Burns for picks. We gotta know how the GM and coaches view this year's qb prospects as well. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

It's like the time/value of money.  $100 now is worth more than $100 next year to most people.  A player drafted now will have a year of experience under his belt vs one drafted the following year.  I'm not saying I agree with it or it's 100% accurate, but that's where it's coming from.  That 2nd from the Darnold trade hurt like a 2nd this past year, not a 3rd. 

That still doesn't devalue the picks

5 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Now you just have to hope that Burns wants to stay. He hasn't given any indication he doesn't, but Peppers wanted out of Carolina. Carolina has been a train wreck for years and we're starting over again. As great as the money is, these guys want rings too. We don't have a great track record of success. It's not all about what we want. 

He will get a bunch for sure and with Rhule here I might agree. But Wilks has them fired up and they are a top 10 unit.  Peppers was here longer before he got discontent.

2 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

The next year's QB class is a game the Huddle has been playing for 4-5 years now....

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

With similar results...

And?

So we stop looking for a QB because of this?

How are we going to find one if we don't draft one?

The Panthers really are dumb if they don't take this pick.  Burns is not a top 10 pass rusher, he's not great against the run, and he runs past most tackles/sacks.  I just think if someone wants to give us two picks we should take it.  We're going to really be mad when we pay this guy big money and he's still average to slightly above average....or worse just plain bad after.  

• Beer 3

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

That still doesn't devalue the picks

It's more meaningful for the team getting the pick.  A 1st round pick this year can be a QB we draft and will have a full year of experience under his belt by the time we get our first round pick NEXT year.  So if we draft (in a vacuum) the same caliber player in 2024, the QB in 2023 should be better that year due to his development/experience.  

It's the same thing as the $100 I mentioned earlier.  If you invest that immediately it will earn money (experience for the player) and be worth more the following year vs receiving it then.

4 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

But in reality there are not any less in value

Well that’s too simplistic. 

There’s reality that a 1st round pick in 2045 is a 1st round pick the same way that this years 1st round pick is a 1st round pick. (The year is an exaggeration, just used to illustrate)

Then there is league wide perception that GM’s consistently display, which is that future picks are not as valuable as current picks, and also, players on your team that panned out and didn’t bust. 

If they trade Burns, fine, but perception is relevant, and should be leveraged to get more than two future picks, since GM’s do in fact perceive them as less valuable than current picks. That is a “reality” as well. 

• Pie 1