• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shaq says Wilks is bringing back the Panthers to what they used to be.

rayzor

17 minutes ago, frankw said:

True but the results post Rhule speak loudly too. It cannot be understated how better the overall atmosphere and vibe of the team seem to be and that's under an interim that almost nobody is giving a chance of being a full time head coach again.

Agree. Not discrediting at all what wilks has done, just what players say.

The atl game would never even have gone to OT under Rhule. In fact, would have been over as soon as they got to 17 pts. Lol

As I said in my last post wilks is a good coach and has turned this team around in very short time, unfortunately the true needs of this team don’t align longterm with what wilks brings to the table. I hate that. 

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, Luciu5 said:

No, you are wrong here. That is a XP range we were in. The chance of an interception or fumble is higher than missing that kick.

If you can't trust your team to not turn it over with a couple of safe pass plays at the 34-yard line, then why would that be the brand of football you want brought back to Carolina?

14 hours ago, JawnyBlaze said:

2015 was the most fun I’ve ever had as a fan of sports. Moreso even than the Jordan era when I was a Bulls fan (Jordan fan) or any other team I’ve followed. But that coach and his staff completely f’d an incredible team and are 1000% the reason we weren’t 19-0 that year. I don’t want a coach that coaches like any of the old Panthers teams because we’ve pretty much always been coached by buffoons. Minus the early Fox years maybe. 

The ideal hire would be a Sean McDermott clone - defensive minded HC but understands the importance of a dynamic offense. Teams like Buffalo and Seattle should be the blueprint for what Carolina should aspire to be - tough no-nonsense defense with balanced offenses featuring a smashmouth rushing attack complemented with great downfield passing.

This is what has made and is making Panthers’ football exciting again. We just need to find our identity again.

Edited by Prowler2k18
  • Pie 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Mage said:

If you can't trust your team to not turn it over with a couple of safe pass plays at the 34-yard line, then why would that be the brand of football you want brought back to Carolina?

Let me put it this way...

You have a 99% chance to win if you do X.

You have a 95% chance to win if you do Y.

X is kick that field goal. It was the right decision. I think Wilks is too conservative. But in that very specific circumstance, that's the right call 100% of the time. The couple of runs got some yards and got us to XP range. An XP is waaaaay easier and is 99% a gimme compared to putting the ball in the air and kicking from further back or worst getting an interception. What you say then when he's gung ho for the TD well within FG range and things don't work out? Nah get outta here with that. It's not like we settled for a 53 yard attempt.

Edited by Luciu5
  • Pie 1

6 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

I have said it once and I’ll say it a 1000 times. 
Wilks is just another Rivera. I had to deal with Rivera and his crap for 9 years. 
This teams needs someone new not tied to some past coach. 
If we hire Wilks as HC it will be a mistake. 

We're still a long ways away from having to make that choice.

Right now, the one thing I feel comfortable saying is that Steve Wilks is worlds better than Matt Rhule.

You can call that a little bar to clear or whatever, but I call it something that at least for right now, I'm happy to see.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

18 hours ago, bigdog10 said:

I’m grateful that the guys believe in Wilks. I genuinely want him to do well. But, I’m not interested in what the panthers used to be. What we’ve been is nothing more than an inconsistent mess for the better part of 25 years. That game last week was a perfect description of our history. A few really high highs followed by some really low lows with a whole lot of meh in the middle. 

We need to demand better than what we used to be. If Wilks and Shaq can’t deliver that, then it’s time to look elsewhere. 

Just being a competitive  football team is not the bar that we need to be shooting for. We need to win. 

Generally speaking, with the set-up of the league, being competitive is what can be expected for 50% of teams. 40% stay on top regardless of their turnover, 10% stay at the bottom. Sans getting a QB like Andrew Luck, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Patrick Mahomes, Peyton Manning, etc. a team isn't going to be consistently great.

I think Wilks can establish a consistent culture.  I think Wilks will respect people around the building enough to let them do their jobs. Let Fitterer General Manage, let an offensive coordinator coordinate, let a media room do media, etc.

1 hour ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

I have said it once and I’ll say it a 1000 times. 
Wilks is just another Rivera. I had to deal with Rivera and his crap for 9 years. 
This teams needs someone new not tied to some past coach. 
If we hire Wilks as HC it will be a mistake. 

You could say McDermott is another Rivera as well, couldn't you? He's not a young offensive hot shot. He's a defensive coordinator who knows how to build a program and let people do their jobs. He trusts the people he works with.

Wilks is Wilks. He isn't Rivera. Unless you know him personally, I doubt your word that Wilks is another Rivera means anything more than me saying that the Panthers should draft Will Anderson or Marvin Harrison Jr. 

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

If you want something tangible to hang your hat on, there's this...

Matt Rhule talked ............

You can just end the statement there, because the emphasis on talked sums up the problem and explains almost everything else related to that north end of a southbound horse. 

Wilks has done a good job of instilling something NFL-related to this team.  His predecessor did nothing NFL-related.  The fact that the change took place almost immediately when The Process was terminated tells us either 1) Wilks is a strong leader and has at least one important element of being an NFL coach in his arsenal, and/or 2) this team was begging for NFL leadership/coaching.

Given the relative youth of this team, if #2 is involved, that is pretty telling. 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, CPcavedweller said:

You could say McDermott is another Rivera as well, couldn't you? He's not a young offensive hot shot. He's a defensive coordinator who knows how to build a program and let people do their jobs. He trusts the people he works with.

Wilks is Wilks. He isn't Rivera. Unless you know him personally, I doubt your word that Wilks is another Rivera means anything more than me saying that the Panthers should draft Will Anderson or Marvin Harrison Jr. 

the fact that McDermott knows how to build a program and let people do their jobs means he isn’t a Rivera

• Pie 1