• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Josh Allen 2.0

bythenbrs

It seems consensus on teh Huddle that Josh Allen and the Bills are the gold standard for how to develop a rookie QB.  No one that I have read has explained in any level of detail just how the Bills did it.  What specifically did the Bills do to get Allen to the level of success that is so noteworthy.  Intensive position coaching and film study?  Build the offensive roster and scheme to maximize his potential?  Nutritional supplements (I kid)?

No less important, is the Panthers organization capable of replicating this process and getting the same outcome with any of the QB’s in this draft class?  Unless we have both the process and competent coaching staff in place, our rookie QB selection could well end up being Sam Darnold 2.0, not Josh Allen 2.0.  

Flame away.

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

They gambled on young talent 

and they have played to the QBs strengths as he has developed 

I was confused wondering what they did do as I thought about the question and then after reading your response that seems pretty sensible to me so put me down for "what he said"!

Edited by YourLastThought

10 minutes ago, bythenbrs said:

It seems consensus on teh Huddle that Josh Allen and the Bills are the gold standard for how to develop a rookie QB.  No one that I have read has explained in any level of detail just how the Bills did it.  What specifically did the Bills do to get Allen to the level of success that is so noteworthy.  Intensive position coaching and film study?  Build the offensive roster and scheme to maximize his potential?  Nutritional supplements (I kid)?

No less important, is the Panthers organization capable of replicating this process and getting the same outcome with any of the QB’s in this draft class?  Unless we have both the process and competent coaching staff in place, our rookie QB selection could well end up being Sam Darnold 2.0, not Josh Allen 2.0.  

Flame away.

There’s actually a lot of info on how they changed his mechanics by bio mapping his motion and making it more efficient. The leadership and respect of his teammates is something you can’t teach tho 

EDIT:  https://billswire.usatoday.com/2020/12/06/buffalo-bills-josh-allen-digital-mapping-mechanics-jordan-palmer/

Edited by RJK
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1

I actually think the Panthers handled Cam the right way in his first season.  Chud was a great OC for him and they brought in Olsen and Shockey along with a great running game (Williams and Stewart) and a good O-line.  After year one the plan seemed to have fallen away...but that first year it was a good transition from college to NFL for Cam.  

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

6 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

It's about getting the right coach and having him help select his QB.  Then having a system that plays to that QBs strengths.  I'm kind of looking at how the Eagles have handled Hurts as a nice example of playing to that QB's strengths.  

What did they do specifically to ‘play to his strengths’?  That seems like a truism.  Not disagreeing, just looking to peel the onion back another layer.  More detail, please.

7 minutes ago, RJK said:

There’s actually a lot of info on how they changed his mechanics by bio mapping his motion and making it more efficient. The leadership and respect of his teammates is something you can’t teach tho 

EDIT:  https://billswire.usatoday.com/2020/12/06/buffalo-bills-josh-allen-digital-mapping-mechanics-jordan-palmer/

Thanks for this.  Very helpful.

• Beer 1

25 minutes ago, RJK said:

But we did Sports Science, 'member?

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, bythenbrs said:

What did they do specifically to ‘play to his strengths’?  That seems like a truism.  Not disagreeing, just looking to peel the onion back another layer.  More detail, please.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/even-with-jalen-hurts-still-developing-eagles-offense-has-become-highly-efficient-machine/

Catering to his athleticism with rollouts PAs etc.  They are using him in the power running game (which can be a young QBs best friend) to keep the offense balanced and some of these schemes are putting his weapons in space to make up for his accuracy issues.  That article does a way better job of breaking it down than I do.  They have kind of simplified the offense while he is still developing.  

In 2018 he had Kelvin Benjamin and Zay Jones at WR, Charles Clay at TE.  The team rushed for 2000 yards.  ROUGH

In 2019 they completely overhauled WR/TE with Cole Beasley, John Brown and Isaiah McKenzie at WR and drafted Dawson Knox at TE.  The team rushed for 2000 yards.  IMPROVEMENT

In 2020 they added Stephon Diggs and Knox began to develop.  The team rushed for 1700 yards.  MASSIVE STEP

in 2021 they ran Diggs, Beasley and Emmanuel Sanders.  Very talented WR group.  Dawson Knox takes another huge step forward.  The team rushed for 2200 yards.  ARRIVAL

Beyond Allen developing over this time the Bills have made aggressive acquisitions to put real weapons on the receiving end of his passes.  Buffalo has always supported Allen with a wildly successful running game (of which he is a huge part) averaging 2000 yards per season over his first four years.  Give a strong armed QB good coaching, potent receiving weapons and 2000 yards a year rushing and you get Josh Allen.

Edited by Newtcase
  • Pie 3

This is why we are really putting the cart in front of the shark here regarding 2023 QBs.  The main reason is that our coach will dictate who we select.  That's part of the gig.  Buffalo struck gold with Allen.  It's pretty simple.  Allen has the tools, and the team and him put in the work to get better.  It worked.

There's a poo ton of money in the NFL trying to figure out how to get the next best QB.  For every Josh Allen, there are several more highly regarded rookies who flame out in the NFL.  Sometimes, teams and players just get lucky, they mesh and they win.  

We'll have to see who our new coach is.  That's going to determine for the team who the next QB is.  It's all fine to argue their college performances right now, but there is a lot of luck in finding a NFL QB.  And an organization devoted to finding and helping them.  That's something the Panthers do not have right now.