• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How bad does PJ need to play to be removed as starter?

AlphabetsEnd

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

I can honestly say I don't really care at this point who is starting. It's going to be so up and down no matter who is slinging the ball, results won't be much different than they are now. 

I'm much more interested in who is the QB next year and I don't want it to be PJ, Sammy, or Baker. I'm done with all of them. I've seen everything I want to see and I don't want to see anymore.

david tennant hbo GIF by Camping

On 11/11/2022 at 1:25 PM, AlphabetsEnd said:

Yes, I imagine that's possible - but that's also idiotic. A 4th is not much more valuable than a 5th, and at this point, starting PJ is giving this team the worst chance to win and to claim a very claimable NFC South. 

If PJ is benched after the first half of the Atlanta game, I think it's 2-0 vs. Falcons and the Bengals game is in play, based on what Mayfield showed against the first team D on the opening drive of the second half, and his track record against the Bengals. 

But at this point, I'd trust Darnold over PJ, at least we don't know what he looks like behind a good oline. 

Apparently its going to take multiple Bengals-like performances before PJ is pulled. 

There's a reason Tepper chose Wilks.

1 hour ago, panthers55 said:

When will he be replaced? If we suck and he throws a bunch of picks and we lose. As long as we are winning it doesn't matter how he plays

That already happened, with the worst 1st half in the NFL since the 1970s.

It is apparently going to have to happen multiple times.

54 minutes ago, poundaway said:

That already happened, with the worst 1st half in the NFL since the 1970s.

It is apparently going to have to happen multiple times.

He was awful against Cincy for sure. And if he sucks like that expect us to consider putting in Baker or Darnold. Wilks is interim and not likely to be retained so he has nothing to lose.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

21 hours ago, rayzor said:

I can honestly say I don't really care at this point who is starting. It's going to be so up and down no matter who is slinging the ball, results won't be much different than they are now. 

I'm much more interested in who is the QB next year and I don't want it to be PJ, Sammy, or Baker. I'm done with all of them. I've seen everything I want to see and I don't want to see anymore.

Same here. The only QB I would want to see, and anyone would benefit from, is our rookie on IR.

I’m just ready for a brand new QB room. New placeholder vet, rookie, and Corral, or some variation of that. 

Just crunched the numbers and as now if Baker doesn't take anymore snaps (factoring in per game offensive snap average) he's below 70% at 68% for the season.  PJ and, if need be, Darnold from here on out.  Yes, I value a 4th that much more than a 5th rounder, especially the top of the 4th.

• Pie 1

On 11/12/2022 at 12:18 PM, rayzor said:

I could sign on to that.

Probably take a similar view of the coaching staff outside of two or three assistants.

On 11/11/2022 at 1:41 PM, AlphabetsEnd said:

I'd rather win and take a shot at the playoffs than play for draft position, when the best indicator of QB success is development, not draft position. Likewise, for 2-7th round picks. 

I think you're probably right about it being hard to bench the starter, but Wilks had his chance to not start PJ after one of the worst QB performances in recent history and didn't and could have again last game on his third dropped interception, but didn't.  

He wants to start PJ for other reasons, and none of them are about winning games.

You’re preaching to the choir my friend.

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, stbugs said:

Seriously? Aren’t you against the tank and trading Burns? How can you be against getting multiple firsts and a 2nd but be OK with starting any QB just to make our trade a 5th round pick instead of a 4th. One seems like a potential game changer for the franchise and the other is likely zero impact.

Where am I saying we were tanking? Where did I say I want Darnold to start so we lose? I said, I READ where they may play Darnold.  As long as Mayfield doesn't meet the 70% of snaps, we get our 4th and Cleveland gets the 5th. 

You're nitpicking and trying to make it sound I am back and forth.  I'm not.

Grow Up.

On 11/11/2022 at 1:21 PM, Ornias said:

Mayfield may well start in a couple of weeks after the 4th round contingency is no longer on the table. 

I hate the NFL man. We have nothing to play for, really, so Steve Wilks is like "alrighttttt P.J., here is your shot" meanwhile everyone suffers.

I'm happy for PJ. He had a franchise memory moment with the throw to DJ. I'll pull for the underdog a lot of the time but watching the football team leas by Sam or Baker just feels like I'm watching an NFL offense. 

As an aside, would be great if Corral wasn't hurt.