• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Wilks Likely to Be 'Seriously Considered' for Panthers Full-Time HC

Vox

I'm still tossed on whether Wilks in the answer, however, being a head coach is getting the most out of your coordinators and players.  Someone who can motivate and get players to play to their full potential.  Wilks has shown he can do this.  Wilks in a motivator and the players are buying into his leadership.  

I get everyone wants a young offensive minded head coach.  I wouldn't mind one either.  That said, a young offensive minded head coach may not be a good motivator.  He may know his Xs and Os but can he get the most out of the team offensively and defensively. 

I get that many of you don't want a repeat of Rivera and Fox.   Fox did very well when he had Dan Henning as his coordinator.  McDermott is doing great in Buffalo, Salah is doing well with the NYJ. Many want Demarco Ryans in Buffalo

What I do want to see from Wilks is a solid effort against someone other than a weak NFCS team. The Rams blew us out, as well as Cincinnati.   The only games we've been in were against TB and 2x Atlanta. Show me you have a game plan to stop a good Baltimore team. 

Our remaining Schedule and I know the Tankers will have a fit but this is what I think Wilks needs to show that he can win in this league as a head coach. 

Baltimore - I would like to see a competitive game.  I would love to see a win but at minimum we need to be in this game going into the 4th Quarter

Denver - traded away a bunch of picks for Wilson and it looks like his magic is gone.  We are at home and Wilks needs to show we need to protect our turf.  

Seattle - After a bye, this will be a telling game for Wilks.  He'll have 2 weeks to prepare, and this team needs to show they can dance with a good team.  

Pittsburgh - At home again and the Steelers are beatable.  As with Denver we need to win at home.

Detroit - They have a terrible defense but a potent offense.  At home gotta win this. 

Tampa and New Orleans.   We beat both of them early in the season.  Wilks needs to show this team has improved over the course of the season and win on the road.

IMO, as long as we don't get blown out and go 5-2. He needs to win all three of our home games, he might have a chance.   If we are blown out, in any game, like Cincinatti or go less than 5-2, I think he loses his chance for 2023. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

31 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I'm still tossed on whether Wilks in the answer, however, being a head coach is getting the most out of your coordinators and players.  Someone who can motivate and get players to play to their full potential.  Wilks has shown he can do this.  Wilks in a motivator and the players are buying into his leadership.  

I get everyone wants a young offensive minded head coach.  I wouldn't mind one either.  That said, a young offensive minded head coach may not be a good motivator.  He may know his Xs and Os but can he get the most out of the team offensively and defensively. 

I get that many of you don't want a repeat of Rivera and Fox.   Fox did very well when he had Dan Henning as his coordinator.  McDermott is doing great in Buffalo, Salah is doing well with the NYJ. Many want Demarco Ryans in Buffalo

What I do want to see from Wilks is a solid effort against someone other than a weak NFCS team. The Rams blew us out, as well as Cincinnati.   The only games we've been in were against TB and 2x Atlanta. Show me you have a game plan to stop a good Baltimore team. 

Our remaining Schedule and I know the Tankers will have a fit but this is what I think Wilks needs to show that he can win in this league as a head coach. 

Baltimore - I would like to see a competitive game.  I would love to see a win but at minimum we need to be in this game going into the 4th Quarter

Denver - traded away a bunch of picks for Wilson and it looks like his magic is gone.  We are at home and Wilks needs to show we need to protect our turf.  

Seattle - After a bye, this will be a telling game for Wilks.  He'll have 2 weeks to prepare, and this team needs to show they can dance with a good team.  

Pittsburgh - At home again and the Steelers are beatable.  As with Denver we need to win at home.

Detroit - They have a terrible defense but a potent offense.  At home gotta win this. 

Tampa and New Orleans.   We beat both of them early in the season.  Wilks needs to show this team has improved over the course of the season and win on the road.

IMO, as long as we don't get blown out and go 5-2. He needs to win all three of our home games, he might have a chance.   If we are blown out, in any game, like Cincinatti or go less than 5-2, I think he loses his chance for 2023. 

I think Wilks biggest knock is he's a conservative old school D minded coach. Tough thing is he doesn't have a QB that has taken advantage of the solid O-line so it's hard to tell what's going on with him and McAdoo with that side of game planning. He's no doubt great in the locker room and players love him, but if he got a great OC would be concede to their play calls when the game is on the line? That's pretty much my only concern besides too much soft zone on defense. If you want a rah rah guy he's like 50000 times better than Rhule at that

• Pie 1

40 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

but if he got a great OC would be concede to their play calls when the game is on the line?

I am not sure if he is totally involved with play calling now.  I really think his input is primarily during the game planning stage and in game/halftime adjustments. After these inputs I believe he leaves the playcalling to the OC.  I wouldn't think there would be much of a change with a new OC.

An innovative OC is my desire.  Someone that uses misdirection, rollouts, double moves, TEs and of course a solid running game.  Outside of Chudzinski, I feel we always seem to have a conservative OC.  Those types of OC are pretty easy to game plan against. This is where I feel McAdoo sits. 

• Beer 1

"Behind a punishing offensive line, the team reestablished its run-first identity. Carolina is averaging 159.5 rushing yards per game over the past four weeks."

That's all fine and good, but the truth is this is a passing league.  Three of the top 5 rushing teams have losing records.  None of the top 5 passing teams have losing records.

• Beer 1

10 hours ago, Panthercougar68 said:

Don’t shoot the messenger 

Espn had a segment on how the league is on pace to allow the most rush yards per carry in the history of the nfl and that teams have all shifted to these pass happy offense/defenses.

The less talented commanders showed that if you can run the ball and play good defense you can stay in games you’re not supposed to be in. 

Just food for thought. I know people will say look at the past super bowl champs blah blah blah but the league has these waves of trends and I wouldnt be surprised if Semi-Foxball comes back in style.

In my mind (and I am old), this has always been the way football was played. Slow run dominating offenses wear the other teams defense out. After 3 Quarters that slow method leaves an exhausted defense that can grab control of the game. Pass happy offenses score quicker with fewer plays, and sells more tickets, but it is not as successful as run dominating teams. Are pass happy offensive teams exciting to watch? yes. Is it a complete recipe for success, it is against a defense molded to stop the pass. ex 3-3 or nickel, but not against the run.

31 minutes ago, Apex Cat said:

"Behind a punishing offensive line, the team reestablished its run-first identity. Carolina is averaging 159.5 rushing yards per game over the past four weeks."

That's all fine and good, but the truth is this is a passing league.  Three of the top 5 rushing teams have losing records.  None of the top 5 passing teams have losing records.

That could be because of their defense.

Wilks is a good person and leader. He is as qualified to be the HC as many others that the Panthers would be interviewing. 

My biggest concern if they retain him as HC is turnover at the OC position. I’d rather hire an offensive minded HC when they draft a rookie QB. The head coach’s primary responsibility would be developing the rookie QB and that guarantees the HC will be around long enough to see it though.

But the season still has a good chunk of games left. If Wilks pulls some upsets and the team finishes with a winning record (under his leadership, not Rhule’s 1-4 start) I will understand why they’d keep him.

5 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Wilks is a good person and leader. He is as qualified to be the HC as many others that the Panthers would be interviewing. 

My biggest concern if they retain him as HC is turnover at the OC position. I’d rather hire an offensive minded HC when they draft a rookie QB. The head coach’s primary responsibility would be developing the rookie QB and that guarantees the HC will be around long enough to see it though.

But the season still has a good chunk of games left. If Wilks pulls some upsets and the team finishes with a winning record (under his leadership, not Rhule’s 1-4 start) I will understand why they’d keep him.

he has won 5 games total as a head coach.  I dont give 2 shits if he is a good person, win fuging football games

With how bad the Rhule hire turned out to be I can see Tepper wanting to either play it safe by keeping Wilks or by trying to overpay for a proven commodity like Payton however unlikely that is to happen. My dream hire is DeMeco Ryans from the 49ers with keeping Wilks on staff to mentor him. Dude just looks like a future star HC, and you can tell his players play super hard for him. 

This new age obsession with "offensive" gurus blows my mind honestly. It only tells me that people know nothing about the game. Andy Reid. Bellichek. And even Sean McVay wasn't some young offensive gurus. They came from extensive coaching background or even family, and understand that football is a multi dimensional sport. The best coaches win by doing the basics, and doing them fundamentally well.

Not drawing up the annexation of puerta Rico, and hoping the defense is even half way good enough 

• Flames 1