• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Undo 1 Rhule Decision

CanadianCat

I don't know how much he was in on the decision, but passing on Micah Parsons for Jaycee Horn.

Don't get me wrong, I like Horn. But I don't know how you miss an opportunity to replace the irreplaceable in Luke, cement the MLB position for a decade, and have arguably the best defensive player in the league, and don't call it a mistake.

There are so many to bad decisions to choose from.  Just to be different, I will add a few from what was already said:

1. Keep Tyler Heinicke.  Not a superstar but definitely playing better than any Panther QB has played in years.

2. Keep Gano.....How many kickers have the Panthers burned through since they cut Gano?  

3. Don't trade for Darnold.  If Heinicke was signed it would not have been necessary.  

Cutting Cam/signing Bridgewater. 

I think that would have set us up differently.  Also, I think that 1 year with Cam to start would have been good for Rhule.  Because The Brand was bullshit.  And Cam essentially called it out politely when he returned.  Rhule basically acknowledged that Cam had the right mindset on and off the field.  Rhule could of learned a lot and then parted with Cam.  

But I'm glad it finished how it did.  I got no interested in a coach learning on the job the degree Rhule needed. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

Cutting Cam/signing Bridgewater. 

I think that would have set us up differently.  Also, I think that 1 year with Cam to start would have been good for Rhule.  Because The Brand was bullshit.  And Cam essentially called it out politely when he returned.  Rhule basically acknowledged that Cam had the right mindset on and off the field.  Rhule could of learned a lot and then parted with Cam.  

I don't think Rhule would have learned anything from Cam. It's not that having Cam around would not have given him the opportunity to learn, but Rhule thinks he knows everything, and anybody who doesn't believe that is simply "not OOU."   The Process is basically a cult leader, and Cam would not have been OOU.

I think The Process knew that from the start and that was why Cam was sent packing, just as much as Cam's shoulder and the uncertainty of any recovery.  The Process can not tolerate a big personalty to compete with, especially one endeared to the fans.

He could have learned a lot from Bridgewater, too, as it turned out.  But instead of listening, he had to be exiled, too.

Hell, he could have learned a lot from the janitor had he just been willing to admit he didn't know everything.

• Pie 3

10 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I don't think Rhule would have learned anything from Cam. It's not that having Cam around would not have given him the opportunity to learn, but Rhule thinks he knows everything, and anybody who doesn't believe that is simply "not OOU."   The Process is basically a cult leader, and Cam would not have been OOU.

I think The Process knew that from the start and that was why Cam was sent packing, just as much as Cam's shoulder and the uncertainty of any recovery.  The Process can not tolerate a big personalty to compete with, especially one endeared to the fans.

He could have learned a lot from Bridgewater, too, as it turned out.  But instead of listening, he had to be exiled, too.

Hell, he could have learned a lot from the janitor had he just been willing to admit he didn't know everything.

well, Rhule pretty much did acknowledge and give Cam his props for what he did behind the scenes.   Rhule didn't know how to deal w/ a NFL team.

and I think Rhule even said Cam was actually one of the few people he called to thank after he got fired. 

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, CRA said:

well, Rhule pretty much did acknowledge and give Cam his props for what he did behind the scenes.   Rhule didn't know how to deal w/ a NFL team IMO.  

and I think Rhule even said Cam was actually one of the few people he called to thank after he got fired. 

All that is true, but none of it tells me he would have or did learn a thing from Cam.  When Cam came back, it was solely to take the heat off Rhule.  Basically, Cam was a tool to give the fans something to cheer for, get them off Rhule's back for a while, and save his bacon (for the time being, as it turned out).  Rhule had to be gracious.  Honestly, I doubt if he even understood what he was thanking Cam for other than that.

But, I agree that Rhule didn't know how to deal with an NFL team or the many personalities on that team, and he still does not.  He assumed that they respond to the same things 18-21 year olds respond to.  The problem is he does not believe that he does not know that. 

We've all seen Rhules before.  They take something as complex as an NFL team and reduce it to something they understand, whether it conforms or not.  It usually does not.  They wind up creating a fiasco and then blaming somebody else for the mess.

I can't isolate a single decision to roll back that would have made things different for him.  The underlying problem is the guy does not seem to be self-aware enough to know what he does not know and then find the person/people that do. 

And, I don't believe for one minute that the decision to bring in people who did have experience was his.

I dont think cutting Cam was an issue. Remember Cam had 1 year left on his contract and was coming off an injured shoulder and a poor season. Reports were that Cam wanted a new contract.

So with all of that I think the coaching staff had to go look for an alternative. 

Cam was never going to come back on a 1 year contract. 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

Saying yes to the job.

Didn't Rhule allude that Tepper duped him in one of those interviews Matt gave last week?  Something like Tepper gave him all these promises and latitude then changed the expectations once hired?

Hmmm...who duped who?  Maybe the con-men duped each other.

10 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

I dont think cutting Cam was an issue. Remember Cam had 1 year left on his contract and was coming off an injured shoulder and a poor season. Reports were that Cam wanted a new contract.

So with all of that I think the coaching staff had to go look for an alternative. 

Cam was never going to come back on a 1 year contract. 

I always thought that if Cam's contract had two years remaining at that point, we would have seen him in 2020.  The fact he had only one year, he wanted a new contract, his shoulder recovery was a big unknown, the team was basically being torn down and rebuilt, Tepper did not appear to be one of his biggest fans, and we had a new coaching staff created a time bomb that exploded.

If that had played out, we would have at least been able to answer the question of his shoulder before we moved forward.  But nobody was going to give him a $25M or $30M deal for 2021 (and beyond, perhaps with more money on the table) with that hanging over things.  And nobody did.

• Pie 2