• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Let's say the choice is....

Zod

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

Being a head coach in the NFL is not about X’s and O’s. It’s about managing and having a real relationship with players, appeasing to the front office, hiring quality coaches and making the right game time decisions. The reason you see people like Shanahan and McVay have a lot of success isn’t the playbook, but their leadership qualities. They hemorrhage coaches year in and year out because quality coaches who want to learn from the best coach under their leadership. 

Everyone runs essentially the same playbook, it’s just a matter of how it’s taught and conceptualized. So I don’t need to hear anyone talk about whoever because of their style of offense or playcalling abilities. Look at Sirianni in Philly - he gave up coordinating duties and the offense has exploded. 

Let’s say we get some great offensive mind but has a limpdick personality (Adam Gase in NY, Joe Philbin in Miami, MATT RHULE) and what do you have? There’s not a play book or scheme in the world that outclasses the culture and personality of a team. 

With that said, it’s  become more apparent each day that Wilks deserves this job. 

I'm not sure I agree yet that Wilkes deserves the job, but this is a well written post that makes me think about things in a new light. Well put, sir.

• Pie 1

Making an assumption that Wilks has proven himself to have the "interim" title removed.

Others have said that The Rooney Rule requires two external minority candidates be interviewed before Wilks can officially be offered the position.

Would it be a reasonable option to solicit the NFL to suspend the Rooney Rule for Wilks?  Would hate for the Panthers to do pretend interviews with potential candidates and run into potential lawsuit issue for no reason

3 minutes ago, PanthersATL said:

Making an assumption that Wilks has proven himself to have the "interim" title removed.

Others have said that The Rooney Rule requires two external minority candidates be interviewed before Wilks can officially be offered the position.

Would it be a reasonable option to solicit the NFL to suspend the Rooney Rule for Wilks?  Would hate for the Panthers to do pretend interviews with potential candidates and run into potential lawsuit issue for no reason

That's not gonna happen.

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, PanthersATL said:

We'd be hiring a minority candidate. How would we be violating the Rooney Rule requiring minority candidates to be interviewed by literally HIRING a minority candidate? I get that a lot of rules can have some truly dumbass fine print involved but that one would take the cake. 

• Pie 1
  • The D 1

22 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We'd be hiring a minority candidate. How would we be violating the Rooney Rule requiring minority candidates to be interviewed by literally HIRING a minority candidate? I get that a lot of rules can have some truly dumbass fine print involved but that one would take the cake. 

Yeah, um....it would not be a violation because Tepper would "interview" Wilks before hiring him. He is an interim HC now. He would need to be officially hired as the head coach. 

Just looking at how Philly's offense was built with a 2nd Round QB people scoffed at, a RB committee that's mainly Sanders with Scott & Gainwell being change of pacers, & a top tier WR group and stud TE, stud OL, I'd have to think many would be VERY intrigued at the prospect of building from our foundation.

The Athletic FS even mentioned this the other week and I really agree.

You get:

A SET, top performing OL

A Good WR group needing a possible star

A Great running game

Can cherry pick their own QB and star WR/TE 

Defense is already mostly set, could ask Wilks to stick around

I mean, that's such a good setup for a HC.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Bear Hands said:

Just looking at how Philly's offense was built with a 2nd Round QB people scoffed at, a RB committee that's mainly Sanders with Scott & Gainwell being change of pacers, & a top tier WR group and stud TE, stud OL, I'd have to think many would be VERY intrigued at the prospect of building from our foundation.

The Athletic FS even mentioned this the other week and I really agree.

You get:

A SET, top performing OL

A Good WR group needing a possible star

A Great running game

Can cherry pick their own QB and star WR/TE 

Defense is already mostly set, could ask Wilks to stick around

I mean, that's such a good setup for a HC.  

Agreed. The way the Panthers are finishing the year - if it continues - this will be a hot job. 

1 hour ago, OceanPanther said:

Our offense still reeks ..  As much as we liked running the ball down Seattle's throat , even when they knew it was coming ,,  you have to have more pass offense.  Of coarse having a TE and a couple of WR that can catch the ball, get separation, and even make the occasional miracle catch would help . 

Yeah I don’t think our strategy of running the ball like it is 2003 is gonna work against the Cowboys if we make the playoffs. 
Darnold is gonna have to pass more than 19 times a game. And Trevon Diggs is licking his chops. 

• Pie 1