• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Weapons

DaveThePanther2008

So first we needed a good OL before considering drafting a QB. Now we need an arsenal of weapons for him first? Why are people so worried about us drafting one? It has to be done. We have to find a QB then build around him. If we start building too good of a roster first we could be stuck in Colts land. A good OC can scheme some of our guys open. We do need to draft a TE early, but we are far from the worst place for a rookie QB to play providing we land a good coach. 

• Pie 4

12 minutes ago, Sam the Cat said:

That's what I said last week and half the board si set on gambling on another QB with our 1st round draft pick.  I think we need upgrades onTE, WR, OL...before drafting a QB in current position.

We definitely do. TE first because that group is the farthest away from being NFL starter material. I actually think TMJ can be really good but he needs a little bit more time. We need a proven #2 guy to put out there consistently and yes our OL is pretty terrible at pass blocking but it could be the scheme. It’s hard to say with mcadoo running the show. So I’d put OC ahead of first round QB at this point too. 

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, Aussie Tank said:

Marshall was wide open for a tuddy Sam under threw it. But we do need to upgrade RB TE and Shi. But biggest issue is no one is being schemed open. I’m starting to really want Stroud he has them sideline throws on a string 

I'm not sure he did under throw it - the S was coming across. Either way with how bad QB play has been for years in Charlotte I was just happy with the long completion.

I wish Marshall had made that contested catch later in the game too - it turned 7 points into 3.

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, Wolfcop said:

Agreed. Other than the OL, time to overhaul the entire offense. 

^^^^^This.  We got rid of our only real weapon in CMC.  Moore would be a #2 on teams with deep receiving corps. But "DRAFT A QB" they all say.  And do what?  Have the poor guy throw to Shi Smith, TMJ, Ian Thomas and Chuba out of the backfield?  LOl, dude would be set up for failure right out of the gate.

Agree with OP.  Cam's rookie season in comparison to what we have now:  Williams and Stewart for RB, #89, Greg, and Shockey along with a solid O-line (Gross, Wharton, Kalil).  #89 had over 1,300 yards in Cam's rookie year.  Any rookie QB thrown into this current offense would not be successful.  Whoever they are targeting to be QB next year, they better start by getting him some weapons.  

21 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

^^^^^This.  We got rid of our only real weapon in CMC.  Moore would be a #2 on teams with deep receiving corps. But "DRAFT A QB" they all say.  And do what?  Have the poor guy throw to Shi Smith, TMJ, Ian Thomas and Chuba out of the backfield?  LOl, dude would be set up for failure right out of the gate.

I definitely see what you are saying but our rookie is more than likely going to struggling his rookie year anyway. Especially if we draft AR or Levis. The offense will need to be simplified if they are even going to play year one at all. Lawrence, Jones, Fields, and Burrow didn’t have many weapons their rookie year. Hell some of those guys (not named Burrow) still have few weapons. We are going to also have more draft picks (especially after that CMC trade) to acquire some weapons.Normally bad teams are getting these top picks.

22 minutes ago, thennek said:

Agree with OP.  Cam's rookie season in comparison to what we have now:  Williams and Stewart for RB, #89, Greg, and Shockey along with a solid O-line (Gross, Wharton, Kalil).  #89 had over 1,300 yards in Cam's rookie year.  Any rookie QB thrown into this current offense would not be successful.  Whoever they are targeting to be QB next year, they better start by getting him some weapons.  

How can we fairly judge these weapons when we have with McAdoo designing and calling the plays? TMJ was a stud on that loaded LSU team, Moore passed 1000 yards every year with poo for QBs and OCs. A new staff can do wonders for some of these young guys. Hell we don’t even use Higgins who was and decent option in the Browns offense.

1 hour ago, frankw said:

Despite the fact that some folks here want you to believe Scott Fitterer was a glorified errand boy he signed off on that Ian Thomas contract extension.

Yep. I've long said Fitt was either part of the problem by making some of the decisions or part of the problem by being just a yes man. He needs to go too.

• Pie 4

33 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Quentin Johnson, Jordan Addison, & Michael Mayer would be injections we need if we aren't in a spot to draft Young or Stroud.  I however think we would place the upside value in Levis or Richardson above that.

100% correct. A top weapon that's polished should take priority over project QBs.  I'm not sure the team will see it that way if a QB is dangling in front of them on the draft board though.