• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wilkes respected around the league. Will be someone's head coach next year.

panthers55

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

In my mind, Wilks has beaten teams that he's supposed to beat, but he let some get away by being out-coached, flat out conservative and either unwilling to, or incapable of, adapting (mainly Pittsburgh and Atlanta). This makese skeptical that he can compete with the best strategists in the league. But, if we hire him, I'll most certainly support him (until I don't). 

Sometimes when you get what you ask for, you get what you ask for. 

Was he supposed to beat Seattle and Detroit (make sure to look at their 6-1 run before us and the teams they played)?

• Pie 3

8 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

This.  Wilkes has done an amazing job turning around what once appeared to be a lost season and McAdoo, like Wilkes, is working largely with a team constructed by Rhule.  If the Panthers end up winning these last two games it will be hard not to give MaAdoo some credit for that success as well.

This is Wilkes formula based on what we have not McAdoos preferred scheme. But people forget we threw for 250 yards against Denver. I hope with Darnold being here a few weeks we can open up the offense and do more. I saw plays on Saturday I had not seen us run before. Maybe the offense is evolving slowly as we get some continuity at QB.  I bet we get tested at Tampa and will be needing a good pass game as Tampa sells out to stop the run.

• Pie 3

I wish i knew how I felt. All I really know is Wilks seems like stability and a good guy. If he were teamed up with some great assistants and able to build his own roster I cant help but wonder what he could do. Either way he makes me wish we had him as our coach the entire time that Rhule was here. God what a waste having that ass-hat as our coach. I like Wilks and I wouldn't mind him as our guy for sure. If he can do this with what he has, it makes me wonder what he could do with some time to build out his roster and his coaching staff.

• Pie 5

The book of Wilks, the head coach,  hasn't been written yet.  

Yet I see a lot of assumptions being made, based on the fact he is a defensive minded coach. Have any of yoy realized he prefers his team's to attack/dictate to the other teams?  This isn't just on defense, but also on offense.  So I don't get where this "he's just another conservative coach".  Maybe you guys should open your eyes and stop being biased. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 4
  • Poo 1

My only concern with Wilks was the Steelers game. Team not prepared. Game plan on both sides of the ball, terrible   Failure to trust hus team to get in rhythm 

worse yet, going for fields goals were not going to cut it,  the message to the Steelers was, ‘we are fine with 3.  ‘.  The message to his own team was. ‘You aren’t good enough to stop this ass whipping and we aren’t going to embarrass the owner at home so field goal, it is’

To be fair Wilks has

1. one quality receiver in DJ, and DJ can be streaky 

2.no pass catching TEs 

3. QBs no one else wanted 

4. A defense while good in spots, can be weak with some members of draft classes not performing to their draft position 

5. A coaching staff he didn’t hire 

and yet here we are, talking about meaningful games in December  this team continues to fight and that’s to his credit, no one else’s 

he is the next head coach of the Panthers   I wish him every good thing and will support him   

41 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Was he supposed to beat Seattle and Detroit (make sure to look at their 6-1 run before us and the teams they played)?

You damn right. I never believed the hype about Seattle or Detroit, and I felt that the Panthers were being somewhat disrespected, or at least underappreciated by talking heads, if not our own fans. We were never as bad as the product that Rhule was responsible for, and though we've been inconsistent, I think that the Panthers have shown enough to legitimately give people reason to believe that, though we may not be a legit top contender, we can legitimately hang with the middling teams of the 2022 season, if not best them altogether depending upon how we match up. I expected us to beat the Lions at home, and I also figured that we had enough to beat the Seahawks on any given Sunday (just like we have a shot against the Bucs). Matt Rhule did a number--a mind trick, if you will--on people's perception of this team. We aren't world beaters, but we were never bottom feeders either. Throw out the games that Rhule was responsible for, and you can see that what I say is reflected in our play and record since then.

Edited by top dawg
  • Beer 1

My hope and expectation for this year was that the team be competitive in most games and see it as a learning to win year (just about every crap team ever has one of those years the year before they start winning). 
Expected the OL to fuel a more powerful offensive attack that would be trending up by seasons end. A team that the teams playing for the playoffs or seeding, do Not want to face in December.  Maybe win 7 or 8. 
That would have been enough for me. 
In spite of all the detours and potholes we are about there. I think things could be setup for a real nice draft and a more enjoyable season next year. 

3 hours ago, Wundrbread33 said:

The saying goes “don’t let great be the enemy of good.”

This of course is too simple, but Wilks has been good. And not just good compared to Rhule (that’s not hard).

We are running a lot. People want sexier offense, but we don’t really know if the nature of our offense is because of Wilks, or because of what Wilks has to work with. 

“Too conservative” to me isn’t simply running the ball a lot. If you can run the ball that’s great. Too conservative to me is “Fox Ball punt on 4th and inches on the opponents side of the field” type poo.

I don’t see that extreme pussiness from Wilks. 

The problem with this is that great, 'perfect' if you will since that's usually how the saying goes, is absolutely the goal in the NFL - Super Bowl win = the perfect outcome. Good enough is how we get a decade each of Fox and Ron, and being satisfied with good enough turns teams into perennial also-rans.

I'm not saying that Wilks is not a good coach and/or leader. Rather, if the team braintrust (and not just Tepper, because he seems a football idiot) believe another candidate can achieve that perfect based on actual NFL-level expertise and analysis, then that is what is needed.

Anyone that still wants wilks, one question- each game how many passes are over 10 yards towards the endzone.....can not count those LS/moore smoke screens.

Are the numbers above 5?? im serious.

bonus question at the end of foxs and riveras career how did you feel? 

bonus bonus prevent defense is _______ to you?

How do you feel about McDermott?  He is a defensive coach, agree?  He got lucky and drafted Allen against all the pundits advice 

Yes, Wilks sweet spot is defense.

It doesn’t mean he is too stupid to know that he doesn’t need a qb and an OC and a decent passing game coordinator.Pass catching TE and WR.  There are some good ones in the upcoming draft 

In the present situation, fact is with McAdoo, and DJ and WRs to be named later and no TEs capable of catching the ball much less YAC, exactly what passing derby do you expect him to win this year ?