• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Act as GM if we win the division….

WarPanthers89

For me personally, and not so much a prediction, I would still pursue a new HC. 

Tell Wilks he did admirably & no hard feelings if he doesn't come out on top.  As nice of a story it would be, retaining an interim defensive minded guy who's been part of our last 2 regimes is not the right approach. If you land an OC, he'll be gone for a HC if we experience success with him.  I'd like to fully move past what seems to be a reverb of the Rivera-era.  

Hire a guy to create a high powered offense w/balanced playmakers.  Period.  We've had flashes or bits and pieces, but I want someone who can bring in a sustainable system.  Even though we beat the Lions due to their porous D, Ben Johnson is still a really solid choice.  Steichen in Philly is a hot name, there's a few others.  

The QB situation is the tough one.  In a perfect world, we somehow wind up with Bryce Young and the Texans/Hawks/etc. take Levis and Stroud.  We make a slight trade up to get him (unlikely).  Although if we don't win the division, a Bryce trade up is something I'd be game for, just not multiple future 1sts for him.

Stroud could fall and be in the range.  He worries me a tad though--has everything you look for minus a few critical things--improvisational skills and that on-field energy that can lead a team downfield at will. 

Next option is Richardson. Popular choice.  Would definitely generate buzz.  

Alternate scenario is Jordan Addison or Quentin Johnson at WR, then you target Clayton Tune or Tanner McKee in R2-3.  (Maybe Jaren Hall or Aidan O'Connell but unsure if they are worthy of R2-3 grades, the rest, meh minus Haener)

Big Player Moves:

• New Coach helps decide: Minshew, Mike White, Darnold, etc...survey the options
  • Corral is pretty much a wash QB3/see how he jives with the new staff and comes along.  Trade value?
  • Negotiate a new contract with Burns
  • FA targets would be a LB & vet WR
  • Big draft targets would be TE, WR, RB, DL, OL (OFFENSE PLEASE)

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Clean house in the front office. Hire a consultant that has never worked with Hurney to teach Tepper how to run a team. Won't happen but it's a good dream.

Hire Steichen with a focus on his DC being a stong candidate. Keep Tabor and Campen.

If moving to 3-4 extend Burns if feasable. If staying in 4-3 trade Burns for 2 1st, one future. Extend Bozeman and Foreman if possible. Get rid of bad contracts from the roster. No big trades with a savy and cheap approach to free agency the firdt year. Cheap short QB vet contract.

Draft DE, QB and TE as best you can with big bodies on both line being added. Use future 1st to move up and make the big 3 needs work if possible.

Watch non-Rivera boring ball all year next year and finally be excited for a Panthers product for the first time in 5 years.

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 1

11 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

In 2014 the Panthers went into the playoffs with a 7-8-1 record and won a playoff game.

In 2015 we went 15-1 and went to the Super Bowl.

The playoff experience may have given the 2015 team the belief they were that good.  So yeah backing into the Playoffs can mean something.   It's not insignificant. 

They were 12-4 in 2013 and not 3 5 win seasons infront of 2014. That is a huge difference.

I would say DC the last 3 years is a better comp and they are .500 in their 3rd year after limping into the biggest loser playoff appearance and they still haven't had a winning season since, even with an extra game added last year.

Edited by Waldo

13 hours ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

I treat everything as if we didn't win the division. Winning the division and tripping into the Playoffs with a losing record means absolutely nothing.

Not true. Playing meaningful football in January is always important. Wilkes will be 7-5 and Darnold 5-1. That great finish and the experience you get in the playoffs often carries over. Our finish in 2014 set the stage for 2015. A good run in 2004 set the stage for 2005. Our own history here shows that finishing up strong in December and January are important.

So whether Wilkes gets retained and I offer Darnold another contract absolutely will be heavily influenced on how they do when it is playoff mentality which started for us last week.  This is trial by fire and the best way to get to see what they can do before making a decision.

Edited by panthers55
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 4

39 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Not true. Playing meaningful football in January is always important. Wilkes will be 7-5 and Darnold 5-1. That great finish and the experience you get in the playoffs often carries over. Our finish in 2014 set the stage for 2015. A good run in 2004 set the stage for 2005. Our own history here shows that finishing up strong in December and January are important.

So whether Wilkes gets retained and I offer Darnold another contract absolutely will be heavily influenced on how they do when it is playoff mentality which started for us last week.  This is trial by fire and the best way to get to see what they can do before making a decision.

I don't see why people don't understand that losing begets losing and loser mentalities. There is such an obvious difference in the team, that people are literally trying to hate on the possibility of a division championship. I haven't asked this question because it is highly irrelevant as far as the present is concerned, but what if Wilks would've had the team all year? Maybe we aren't backing into the division and would've got three to four other wins. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

47 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Not to get too peppy on the Wilks/Darnold train, but even looking at the NFC, what's really there beyond Philly?

MIN - Cousins falling apart is a common tale minus random miracles vs. NO

SF - Great team & coach but at the end of the day has a rookie 7th Rounder QB

DAL - The defense and Dak have both been shaky, not necessarily a power house

Who's even left? NYG? GB? SEA? WAS? DET? If we run the table these last two weeks, there's legit reasons to think this is more than a one and done.  Would be one weird as hell season, I'll tell you that.

If we're in, I can see an argument of us coming out on top of most of these squad minus SF and PHI.  Honestly, bring on Dallas if we make it.    

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

It does appear as if this is the year to steal the conference ticket to the SB. 
I don’t have any realistic aspirations on the Panthers’ behalf but it is entertaining as hell afaic.  The team is playing for a lot right now, good time to evaluate their performance with the chips down. 

As far as this thread subject, I think you have to act as if you missed the playoffs every year wherever you finish, every year. These are competitive people mostly, they tend to have that attitude. If you aren’t getting better you’re getting worse and all that.
So I think NFL teams are there by default. Enough of them that if you want to win you better be too. 

If Wilkes finishes the season at 7-5 after Rhule started 1-4, you need to give the man the job. Then tell him we need to get a good young QB to pair with Sam, who also would have proven himself by QBing the team into the playoffs. Does not mean he gets the job long term, but would likely start the 1st game next season. 

15 minutes ago, Wolfcop said:

If Wilkes finishes the season at 7-5 after Rhule started 1-4, you need to give the man the job. Then tell him we need to get a good young QB to pair with Sam, who also would have proven himself by QBing the team into the playoffs. Does not mean he gets the job long term, but would likely start the 1st game next season. 

Sigh.   Just because he is better then rhule doesn't mean he deserves the job.  

• Pie 1

18 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Sigh.   Just because he is better then rhule doesn't mean he deserves the job.  

Completely agree. This situation is very similar to the Rich Bisaccia and Las Vegas Raiders last year. 

Remember this?

David Carr: Raiders don't need to look for new HC; Rich Bisaccia is the guy

https://www.nfl.com/videos/david-carr-raiders-don-t-need-to-look-for-new-hc-rich-bisaccia-is-the-guy

15 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

In 2014 the Panthers went into the playoffs with a 7-8-1 record and won a playoff game.

In 2015 we went 15-1 and went to the Super Bowl.

The playoff experience may have given the 2015 team the belief they were that good.  So yeah backing into the Playoffs can mean something.   It's not insignificant. 

posted this some place else, but only 2 teams in like 20 years have won the SB without being in the playoffs in one of the previous three seasons - the Eagles and the Bucs.  And the Eagles were in the playoffs 4 seasons before, and the Bucs roster was loaded with people that had extensive playoff experience recently.

It DOES matter to make the playoffs IMO.  It probably means Wilks should get a shot, since we will have gone 7-5 and 5-1 down the stretch, which IMO is a great accomplishment given how we started.  This team could have easily folded after starting 1-5 or once we hit 2-7...

It DOESN'T mean we have to stand pat at important positions like QB.

• Pie 1