• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bye Bye Wilks

1 minute ago, Rocky Davis said:

Darnold threw that one pick by trying to force the ball in.  It's in his makeup, gotta have a very good team to make up for those kind of mistakes.

He was trying to be aggressive and thought he had TMJ(I think)  for a TD but didn't put enough OOMPH on the throw., 

Sometimes it's better to overthrow your receiver than underthrow it.

As it turns out, he was very fortunate that our Special Teams (Nice job, Matos) came up with a HUGE blocked FG and it resulted in Sam marching the team down the field and throwing a TD to put the team up 21-10 at that point.     Sadly, it was all downhill from there.

• Beer 1

For me, the way we lost today should be fatal to Wilks' chances to be a HC. Understandably, we were quite thin with corners but allowing an offense that has looked incompetent the entire year to go off like that when your speciality is defense is malpractice. Same if you're supposed to be an offensive guru and you struggle to score more than 10 points. If the team struggles in your speciality, that's a red flag.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 2

5 minutes ago, outlaw4 said:

For me, the way we lost today should be fatal to Wilks' chances to be a HC. Understandably, we were quite thin with corners but allowing an offense that has looked incompetent the entire year to go off like that when your speciality is defense is malpractice. Same if you're supposed to be an offensive guru and you struggle to score more than 10 points. If the team struggles in your speciality, that's a red flag.

Not just defense but he's a secondary coach. Kinda bad look.

• Pie 3
  • The D 1

33 minutes ago, Rocky Davis said:

Darnold threw that one pick by trying to force the ball in.  It's in his makeup, gotta have a very good team to make up for those kind of mistakes.

I just think he underthrew it - the pass was there to be made.

4 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

I just think he underthrew it - the pass was there to be made.

It turned out to not hurt the Panthers, thanks to Matos blocking that FG.

And it led to the next drive where Sam would throw a TD pass. 

What hurt the Panthers were the fumbles later on (not saying he was at fault).

1 hour ago, Cdparr7 said:

Bad pass but why the hell was our 3rd string TE running a deep post. 

And why did Darnold throw it to him in double coverage. 

Maybe there wasn't double coverage AT FIRST but his underthrown ball may have had enough air-time to allow another Defender to be in the area. 

On 1/1/2023 at 7:41 PM, Rocky Davis said:

I said Wilks would have to win the division to get the HC job and even then I really didn't like the idea.

Today he showed exactly why I don't want him as HC as much as I like him and the players respect him.

4th and inches, 4th and short.....you got to have faith and go for those at midfield.  This game was all about keeping the ball from Brady because you know your secondary is very, very weak.  Instead I think we threw the ball too much and we didn't go for it when we needed to.  Simple as that.  I also think we should have gone for a touchdown instead of the field goal at the end.  Would have made a difference?  Not sure, but you score that touchdown first.

I hope Wilks sticks around, maybe as DC - but I even question that as the D hasn't been as good in the 2nd half of the season.  Maybe Asst. Head with secondary responsibility?

Those conservative decisions will probably cost him the chance of becoming the Panthers 2023 head coach. 

• Beer 1