• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is there still a case for Wilks?

Mr. Scot

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Ellis and Kaye are both guys whose opinions I respect, but that doesn't mean I always agree with them.

Yeah both are fine. Not playing Norman when clearly the backup CB's couldn't get anything done, and not running the ball more in the 2nd quarter when we had a lead were big factors in the loss I feel. I love Wilks as the motivator but I'm over the boomer conservative thing at the same time. My big issue is the small sample size being somewhat handicapped with Rhules scraps. We still could have won the game today with better decision making from the coaching staff

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

The defense got worse because two Waffle House employees started at corner today. I wouldn’t mind Wilks as the coach, simply because there’s a 1000% chance Tepper will just hire another Rhule instead. Not because Wilks is great, but because he’s better than anything Rhule can find. 

That's a good way to look at it ha. I think you mean Tepper in that last sentence, but yep I feel similar apprehension.

I see the flaws in Wilkes' performance today but these games are how you learn. 

Look at it like this: a young HC taking over a bad team is often going to take some time to get to his first true pressure type experience. And it will be the first of that type experience for most of the players too so that is a vessel facing rough water, I think is fair to say. 

Without going into all the details what I was afraid I would see happened with the secondary happened. With a cherry on top. Black cat showed up too. Naturally.

Taking a more detached or maybe big picture view, I appreciate being there in January. After where they were the day Robbie Anderson was sent inside in SF, traded. All that. Would anyone really have thought they would be a couple of plays away from a total 180? I don't think things are nearly as bad as lots of people do. I never expected to win anything this year until this unlikely NFCS situation gave a reason to think about it. So I thought it was a great ride. 

Edited by stratocatter
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

12 minutes ago, Panthering said:

I think there’s certainly a case for it, but I don’t think it’s a great case. He did well this season regardless of today. 

So many variables but either the game plan worked for a game or it didn't, not much halftime adjustment either way which is a concern. I def don't love his soft zone concept but I really like him as the culture guy. Tough call to say if he'd be willing to give up control of certain things that Tepper wants to change

I want them to zip it unless they've sat through the struggles and failures that come with a defensive head coach over the last 27 years (not counting Seifert because, why would we?)

I know Ellis has, and he isn't necessarily vouching for him, but I just am not in the mood for the moral victories and platitudes bullshit from anyone right now.  It's the same poo every year.  

Again, I really like Wilks.  I am rooting for him and will continue to do so, but I want him to get that opportunity elsewhere.  He should absolutely be a HC in the league, but after today, it just reminded me of all the issues that have plagued us for far too long.  He has done an amazing job in leading these men from the dysfunction we were mired in under Rhule, but we need an infusion of offense and we need it to be the thing we hang our hat on moving forward.  Yes, we need to maintain a hard-nosed, dmashmouth defense as well, but you can find someone to do that easier year in and year out than you can a stable hand to lead the offensive scheme and philosophy.

it's almost a foregone conclusion, if not decided already he will be. I think the talking heads would explode on the NFL's treatment of minority candidates if Carollna with one of the most liberal owners in professional sports didn't hire him after how the players responded to him and him raising the team from the dead. I would say 80% chance he's our guy on Week 1. There's a lot of hopeful people out there that would say to the contrary, but there was already huge stink last year when Byron Leftwitch didn't get a gig and several other candidates that were expected didn't even get calls. Tepper will do Goodell a solid and make this hire. It's written on the tea leaves.

6 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Speaking of Ellis...

My understanding is that he's directing this at people who have communicated with him on Twitter. I can't say I've seen anyone show more vitriol toward Wilks than Rhule.

To anyone who would do that though, I'd call you an absolute moron.

Proportion matters?   What does that mean

6 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Speaking of Ellis...

My understanding is that he's directing this at people who have communicated with him on Twitter. I can't say I've seen anyone show more vitriol toward Wilks than Rhule.

To anyone who would do that though, I'd call you an absolute moron.

If just being better than Matt Rhule is the bar let's keep Wilks and bring back Ron to the staff when he's canned in Washington. We can have two Rivera's. Still better than Matt Rhule though! 🙄