• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So How did Norman and Darnold play?

YourLastThought

I was working and missed the whole game unfortunately. Did Norman play okay? Was he rusty? Is he worth keeping around for next year as well to have a solid veteran presence?

Also, how did Darnold play? His stats looked pretty good but I see others saying his fumble was bad and really not giving him much credit at all. Was it one of those games where he looked decent on paper but not to the eye? 

I haven't seen much praise for either so was wondering how they each looked yesterday. I hate I missed the game.

5 minutes ago, YourLastThought said:

I was working and missed the whole game unfortunately. Did Norman play okay? Was he rusty? Is he worth keeping around for next year as well to have a solid veteran presence?

Also, how did Darnold play? His stats looked pretty good but I see others saying his fumble was bad and really not giving him much credit at all. Was it one of those games where he looked decent on paper but not to the eye? 

I haven't seen much praise for either so was wondering how they each looked yesterday. I hate I missed the game.

Sam Darnold was not the reason the Panthers lost. The absence of Jaycee Horn and Donte Jackson are the real story.

Evans had touchdown receptions of 57, 63, and 30-yards. That was their entire offense and the Panthers would have been a playoff team with a slightly better, or healthier, secondary.

• Pie 9

Norman barely played at all. 

Darnold played well, he had some turnovers though. His interception was a good read but a bad throw. The fumble that cost the game was a blindside hit where ickey got made to look like a turnstile and Darnold had no time to throw because of it.  He got hit pretty fast on that play. 

• Pie 6

Norman only played a couple of snaps yesterday.  There was a pass thrown his way on the first one that was not close to being completed although it possibly could have been with a more accurate pass.

As for Darnold, he was not the reason the Panthers lost yesterday.  That was more on the defense, particularly CB.  Sam had a rather good day overall with the exception of one interception due to the pass being too short.  Had it been about 3 or 4 yards longer it would have probably been a TD.  He still threw for over 300 yards and 3 TDs.  He also lost a fumble on a strip sack (from Icky's side) near their own goal line but the Bucs only got a FG out of it.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

14 minutes ago, YourLastThought said:

Norman didn't factor in much. Darnold showed his normal self, although a better overall version. He had two back-breaking blunders that led to TO's. 

Given how badly our other CB's got roasted by Evans, I am a little surprised they didn't move Norman over there at some point to try and stop Evans. But, the coaching staff has got roasted enough for that.

Darnold is who we thought he was. That has never changed, even with his improvements. Panthers QB Stockholm Syndrome is in full effect however. You will see a sizeable gaggle of posters that slobber over him with the same fervor they did when we traded for him. It's pretty pathetic.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 8

Darnold played decent until the pressure was on him. He had a couple INTs get dropped and DJ bailed him out if several high/low throws. Our secondary was banged up and when we needed a final drive he struggled. DJ got OPI to prevent another easy INT. What I gathered is Sam can play well when there is no pressure for him to perform and the defense isn’t playing the pass. That’s ok for a backup, but the people on here thinking he is ready to be our guy next year are setting themselves up for disappointment.

• Pie 4

1 minute ago, MechaZain said:

Darnold solidified himself as the veteran/backup/stopgap for me. He's like a notch above Derek Anderson. He can't carry but he's an effective game manager when the pass protection holds up.

Backup/bridge on a decent contract seems perfect for how he has played. He definitely elevated his play, but showed he still struggles under pressure and when the defense knows a pass is coming. Signing him as the future QB will just set us up for more seasons like this.

• Pie 3

3 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

Darnold solidified himself as the veteran/backup/stopgap for me. He's like a notch above Derek Anderson. He can't carry but he's an effective game manager when the pass protection holds up.

Good summary.

I give Darnold props. He has eclipsed the ceiling I thought he was capable of.  But IMO it is not high enough to be the long term answer for a franchise.  

• Pie 2