• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching interview updates

Mr. Scot

5 hours ago, PantherFanInPhilly said:

OK....I have a feeling Ben Johnson is gonna end up being the guy. I have to admit I'm really nervous about him though. Just scared this is gonna turn into all of us looking in the rearview saying "what the fug were they/we thinking? Of course this wasn't gonna work out". 

It’s Tepper so all he is thinking is making a big splash. He’s not worried about making the right choice for wins and loses. 

1 hour ago, Purrnicious said:

Are we seriously considering someone from the Belichick coaching tree or is that just to satisfy the rule? I know you can't write off every person who's worked under Bill, but the track record looks waaaaayyyy worse than even Rivera's tree. 

I mean, come on. Jerod Mayo as a HC? Maybe in five years.

2 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

I mean, come on. Jerod Mayo as a HC? Maybe in five years.

He has been in the HC hiring cycle three straight years now. Obviously he has some sort of talent that teams are interested in. With NE they have had a lot of turnover on their coaching staff when it comes to defense but he has been the one stable piece and every year they are competitive.

4 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

He has been in the HC hiring cycle three straight years now. Obviously he has some sort of talent that teams are interested in. With NE they have had a lot of turnover on their coaching staff when it comes to defense but he has been the one stable piece and every year they are competitive.

To me... I see Mayo and Brian Johnson as being interviewed  to be on Wilks staff. Seems they are vetting out not just Head coach candidates but people that Wilks mentioned in his interview  for his staff. 

• Pie 3
  • Poo 1

14 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Maybe bc he only had like 3  defensive coaches? Wilks was running a professional football team down 6 coaches from the norm. We had Chris Tabor helping coach on both offense and defense.

I want an OC coach too, but blaming Wilks for the defense is like saying a “Ferrari isn’t fast…” when it has 3 flat tires.

I think it's fair to say our defense didn't improve with Wilks but there are mitigating factors, including injuries and what you point out.

However, I don't think he really has a resume of being a coach of exceptional defensive units from what I recall.

No denying his ability to motivate though.

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1

17 minutes ago, ickmule said:

It’s Tepper so all he is thinking is making a big splash. He’s not worried about making the right choice for wins and loses. 

I'm not saying he'll make the right choice, but I don't think this is true, or he'd have definitely gone all in on Harbaugh.

35 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

I don’t know if it is common in the NFL to interview that many candidates, but this gives me so little faith in this process. Interviewing that many people for a serious position is poor practice and generally leads to confusion and a higher likelihood of selecting the wrong candidate. And it seems pretty clear they’re not even done yet. They should have easily weeded out several of these candidates before the interview.

We only interviewed 4 guys last go-round and ended up with the worst possible one. You're hoping to not do this sort of thing every 2-3 years. Even if you know you have a top 3-4, it makes sense to get as many different guys into the building as you can and hear diverse perspectives to compare and contrast to what you're hearing from the guy(s) you're leaning towards.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

47 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Maybe bc he only had like 3  defensive coaches? Wilks was running a professional football team down 6 coaches from the norm. We had Chris Tabor helping coach on both offense and defense.

I want an OC coach too, but blaming Wilks for the defense is like saying a “Ferrari isn’t fast…” when it has 3 flat tires.

All valid 

22 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

We only interviewed 4 guys last go-round and ended up with the worst possible one. You're hoping to not do this sort of thing every 2-3 years. Even if you know you have a top 3-4, it makes sense to get as many different guys into the building as you can and hear diverse perspectives to compare and contrast to what you're hearing from the guy(s) you're leaning towards.

We actually had two or three more guys scheduled to interview (McDaniels, Stefanski and I think somebody else) but cut the process short after meeting with Rhule.

Obviously, they have to satisfy the Rooney requirements, but it's possible that could happen again.

(maybe not quite as possible as before given that Marty Hurney and apparently Steven Drummond aren't involved this time)

• The D 1

47 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

I think it's fair to say our defense didn't improve with Wilks but there are mitigating factors, including injuries and what you point out.

However, I don't think he really has a resume of being a coach of exceptional defensive units from what I recall.

No denying his ability to motivate though.

This is what coping looks like.

Wilks isn’t getting it, stop being delusional 

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 2

1 hour ago, TheCasillas said:

It was that great the one year he was DC for us and Arizona’s defense was atrocious and he was terrible in college and the team got better when he left. 
He just isn’t a very good DC. 

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1