• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching interview updates

Mr. Scot

15 minutes ago, CRA said:

Giving Payton the credit for Brees is a lopsided take too. 

Because Brees was good before Payton got him.  Payton just put him in good pass happy system.  So his numbers jumped.   You could have put a really good QB in Joe Brady’s offense and they would have had great stats. Because it’s just putting more influence on the QB.   And a weak QB like Teddy lead to record numbers for almost everyone involved.   You just cant out a bad QB in a QB heavy O. 

Not one person should be giving Payton full credit for what Brees was able to do.

Edited by therealmjl

1 hour ago, CRA said:

Chargers didn’t trade him because they didn’t think he was good enough

He tore his shoulder and was at a pay day.   They were scared of him not recovering and being tied to a huge deal.  So they offered him a heavy incentive deal which Brees didn’t take. 

Healthy, Brees was Brees.

Doesn't change the fact that the Chargers lost faith in Brees whether it was performance based or injury based. It is still safe to say that Brees went on to have a long healthy career. He didn't miss many games.  Payton managed that perfectly.

3 hours ago, Cavscout said:

Giving the Saints 2 first round picks for Payton is potentially giving them CJ Stroud and Marvin Harrison Jr. 

We’re not picking high enough to land Harrison next year if Payton is our coach. The Saints might be with their own pick. 

2 hours ago, philit99 said:

Yep and I don’t like drafting quality prospects and waste them on shitty coaches. We need both and a seasoned veteran coach don’t grow on trees, so I would rather give up a few prospects now and be in a better position to coach next years class.

I agree with this, I just feel there are good coaches available this hiring cycle that would cost nothing. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Whenever people wanna talk bad about Brees, it’s because he was a Payton system QB.  And when people wanna talk bad about Payton it’s because he had a great QB.  Got it.

Sometimes a coach & QB just click and it's impossible to duplicate it for either side.  

Curious to who Peyton thinks could be his next partner in the current QB landscape.  It's pretty icky.  For some reason, could see him having an interest in Derek Carr though.  He seems like a guy that could really do well in his system.

Here's a wild scenario:

HOU gets Payton, HOU trades (Using Pick 12) and gets their 2nd Carr, they're able to use Pick 2 on Anderson or Carter.  

1-Bears-Anderson

2-HOU-Carter

We suddenly have a much better chance at a top QB...

• Pie 1

Name a great coach who never had a good QB. Name a great QB who never had a great coach.

To me, the best coaches today are in Seattle (Pete won with Wilson, who is a different QB now), SF (Garrapolo?  Purdy?) and maybe (too early to tell) Detroit and Miami.  They won despite their QBs. 

Payton had one of the best of all time and he had a good GM.  He won 1 super bowl.  Should he have done better? 

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Name a great coach who never had a good QB. Name a great QB who never had a great coach.

To me, the best coaches today are in Seattle (Pete won with Wilson, who is a different QB now), SF (Garrapolo?  Purdy?) and maybe (too early to tell) Detroit and Miami.  They won despite their QBs. 

Payton had one of the best of all time and he had a good GM.  He won 1 super bowl.  Should he have done better? 

No he shouldn't have done better. Would prefer that he hadn't done as well as he did.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

After the Super Bowl in 09', he made it the conference championship 1 time (2018)

1 conf champ appearance in 11 years with Brees in his prime.  

• Pie 4

1 hour ago, Bear Hands said:

After the Super Bowl in 09', he made it the conference championship 1 time (2018)

1 conf champ appearance in 11 years with Brees in his prime.  

That is what I am saying.  Cam was QB for less time and did better (except was robbed in the Super Bowl, but should have won that if it were not for a bad RT (Remmers) and OC--(Shula).  Just speculating for fun--who knows?  Payton got robbed by the refs one year--maybe 2.