• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tepper clearly wants to change the Panthers identity

Saca312

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

Burns didn't, as usual.  But Brown was playing his ass off. But one man does not a dline make. I watched him on nearly every down. He was playing his ass off and did in the last game as well. He needs someone other than McCall beside him. Not to discredit McCall but he is limited to 3rd downs. Brown plays until he has to come out for a breather. He needs  some help on the line and his teammates are not stepping up.

I actually think Burns was exhausted by the end of the season and maybe slightly injured.  In general our best DL did not get enough breathers and I think it showed in the TB game.

Still, despite how hard some guys fought the team still fell short and/or sucked at key times.  I just don't know if Wilks is the answer - leaning more towards not, tbh.  But as I've said, he deserves an interview and if he has a good plan I hope Tepper goes with him.

Wilks just doesn't fit in the present-day era IMO.  He is a Fox/Ron repeat.  His philosophy will get you to around .500.   Respectable.    And maybe you will randomly catch lighting in a bottle in a random year.    

I still favor attempting something new and just pretending Matt Rhule never happened.   I don't think the Rhule error should have us going right back to what we have always been. 

I still think Wilks is getting a bump coming off how horrific Rhule was.  His audition was also filled with some pretty painfully conservative and bad management of games at times.  

I'd love Wilks as a DC.  Not at HC.  Still think the present day NFL is about offense.   And will continue to trend that way as it has. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

2 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

Love wilks but if you bring him back we know what we’re getting. I don’t have a problem with Tepper hiring someone outside the box like he did with rhule. The problem was holding onto him when it was very obvious after his second year that he sucked.

I don’t want Tepper to just go with an average HC because it’s safe. Take some risk, make a splash if doesn’t work out know when to cut and run. I’m looking at Ben Johnson, Kafka and Steichen as the top 3 with Ryan as the fourth. We need to try something new. Get a true offensive mind pair him with a talented qb and see what happens. Just breath some fuging life into this franchise.

IMHO Inexperienced offensive HC must have a very experienced DC

and also needs an assistant head coach as a mentor for HC duties and or to take over play calling 

being a HC is a tough business….I don’t want another year  of the job wasted 3 years as this hire figures out what to do like Rhule and Rivera 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, panthers55 said:

They aren't that much better. But in Wilkes case you have real experience with the team and know he can win. With new guys with no proven experience it is a crap shoot. Still that is what folks want. Instead of taking a coach who could deliver solid but unspectacular results we go for the unknown since he could be great even if history says he wont.

I mean, the first year is the first year. We're hiring for the long haul.

9 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

Love wilks but if you bring him back we know what we’re getting. I don’t have a problem with Tepper hiring someone outside the box like he did with rhule. The problem was holding onto him when it was very obvious after his second year that he sucked.

I don’t want Tepper to just go with an average HC because it’s safe. Take some risk, make a splash if doesn’t work out know when to cut and run. I’m looking at Ben Johnson, Kafka and Steichen as the top 3 with Ryan as the fourth. We need to try something new. Get a true offensive mind pair him with a talented qb and see what happens. Just breath some fuging life into this franchise.

Animated GIF

3 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

IMHO Inexperienced offensive HC must have a very experienced DC

and also needs an assistant head coach as a mentor for HC duties and or to take over play calling 

being a HC is a tough business….I don’t want another year  of the job wasted 3 years as this hire figures out what to do like Rhule and Rivera 

I totally agree about bringing in a vet DC for a rookie HC. McVay did it. There will be a learning curve no doubt. 

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

I actually think Burns was exhausted by the end of the season and maybe slightly injured.  In general our best DL did not get enough breathers and I think it showed in the TB game.

Still, despite how hard some guys fought the team still fell short and/or sucked at key times.  I just don't know if Wilks is the answer - leaning more towards not, tbh.  But as I've said, he deserves an interview and if he has a good plan I hope Tepper goes with him.

I was just pointing out how they played. Wasn't giving credit or blame to anyone but the players themselves.  As for Wilks? I'm on the fence about him. I will not lose sleep either way. 

• Pie 1

17 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

I don’t want another year  of the job wasted 3 years as this hire figures out what to do like Rhule and Rivera

But who is to say Wilks won't be going through that process though? And he will be having to repeat lessons we already saw Ron Rivera learn or in his case on certain things learn but keep stubbornly doing anyway. If you are on board the Wilks train for the sake of continuity you might want to rewatch both the wins and losses under Wilks.

Just now, frankw said:

But who is to say Wilks won't be going through that process though? And he will be having to repeat lessons we already saw Ron Rivera learn or in his case on certain things learn but keep stubbornly doing anyway. If you are on board the Wilks train for the sake of continuity you might want to rewatch both the wins and losses under Wilks.

I’m not on anybody’s train

i don’t care who is hired

i care the right,  penetrating questions are asked and answered along with a risk assessment and probability assessment done 

I care whoever is hired is surrounded with people who help the franchise succeed 

that’s it 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, raleigh-panther said:

I’m not on anybody’s train

i don’t care who is hired

i care the right,  penetrating questions are asked and answered along with a risk assessment and probability assessment done 

I care whoever is hired is surrounded with people who help the franchise succeed 

that’s it 

I'm in the same boat. I have some personal thoughts, but also know that none of us are going to privy to the interview, until maybe we hear someone made Tepper meatballs again and his wife had to restrain him from whipping out more than his checkbook at dinner.

I am leaning not-Wilks right now but I recognize that he has had a good overall run as interim HC and if the right questions are asked and he comes out on top, awesome, that's great for him as I'd be excited for him personally.

• Pie 2